DCL Alternatives?

dtripli

Hi All

I haven't been on many cruises; just three in total. One was on Royal Caribbean just hubby and myself and other was on Carnival Dream (and for that we had our 4 kids with us) and finally hubby and I did Carnival Pride for an anniversary. The one thing I have learned is that we MUCH PREFER the mid-size ships to new large/mega's they are building today. That being said I was hoping for some advice for our next cruise. Three of our kids are grown and won't be coming; so it will just be me, hubby and our 9 year old son. I am hoping to do a Disney cruise sometime, but right now I just can't bring myself to pay double than the other cruise lines. I am hoping for some suggestions from everyone as to "the next best thing" for our family. I would like to do a week long Eastern Caribbean Cruise in either October of this year or February 2018. As I said we prefer the mid-size, good kids activities for our 9 year old...good food is always a plus :)......thanks everyone. Im looking forward to your suggestions.

We always sail on Royal Caribbean. Our kids love their kids program. I would maybe look into Navigator or the seas or a similar sized ships. They have great features without being to large which you said you don't like. I can't speak to any of the other cruise lines cause I haven't been on them before.

Also this might be an instance where a great travel agent is helpful. Someone that could take what you are looking for and give you all your options.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I presume you want to go from FL since you said Eastern Caribbean, if Galveston is an option for you then Liberty of the Seas might be a good choice. It's a size down from Oasis class but has water slides.

There's also Anthem out of Bayonne, which has a lot of non-water indoor activities.

We always sail on Royal Caribbean. Our kids love their kids program. I would maybe look into Navigator or the seas or a similar sized ships. They have great features without being to large which you said you don't like. I can't speak to any of the other cruise lines cause I haven't been on them before.

Also this might be an instance where a great travel agent is helpful. Someone that could take what you are looking for and give you all your opti

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks so much...I will check it out :)

I presume you want to go from FL since you said Eastern Caribbean, if Galveston is an option for you then Liberty of the Seas might be a good choice. It's a size down from Oasis class but has water slides.

There's also Anthem out of Bayonne, which has a lot of non-water indoor activities.

Thank You

Well since you have cruise Carnival and know the product I would recommend Sunshine. It's my boys favorite ship for the great sports square and ours for the huge variety of food options and Alchemy bar. We even preferred it to Magic - it's 3000 passengers was 4600 on Magic. Personally Magic felt more crowded though I know many will disagree. Not sure if it is making eastern runs in the time you are looking for. For a basic cruise any of the Conquest class would also fit the bill.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Well since you have cruise Carnival and know the product I would recommend Sunshine. It's my boys favorite ship for the great sports square and ours for the huge variety of food options and Alchemy bar. We even preferred it to Magic - it's 3000 passengers was 4600 on Magic. Personally Magic felt more crowded though I know many will disagree. Not sure if it is making eastern runs in the time you are looking for. For a basic cruise any of the Conquest class would also fit the bill.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you....I will check it out....:D

• 4 weeks later...
Hi All

I haven't been on many cruises; just three in total. One was on Royal Caribbean just hubby and myself and other was on Carnival Dream (and for that we had our 4 kids with us) and finally hubby and I did Carnival Pride for an anniversary. The one thing I have learned is that we MUCH PREFER the mid-size ships to new large/mega's they are building today. That being said I was hoping for some advice for our next cruise. Three of our kids are grown and won't be coming; so it will just be me, hubby and our 9 year old son. I am hoping to do a Disney cruise sometime, but right now I just can't bring myself to pay double than the other cruise lines. I am hoping for some suggestions from everyone as to "the next best thing" for our family. I would like to do a week long Eastern Caribbean Cruise in either October of this year or February 2018. As I said we prefer the mid-size, good kids activities for our 9 year old...good food is always a plus :)......thanks everyone. Im looking forward to your suggestions.

Totally off topic but how did you like the pride? We are sailing the Dream summer 2018 but since we live in MD have been looking at the pride for a follow on since it sails out of MD. Also, would you take kids on the pride? We will be kidless on the Dream but will have kids the follow on (11 and 2 at the time) and are looking for a ship that will have plenty for them to do.

• 2 weeks later...
Totally off topic but how did you like the pride? We are sailing the Dream summer 2018 but since we live in MD have been looking at the pride for a follow on since it sails out of MD. Also, would you take kids on the pride? We will be kidless on the Dream but will have kids the follow on (11 and 2 at the time) and are looking for a ship that will have plenty for them to do.[/quote

We absolutely loved the Pride! We are in eastern PA; so the port in Maryland was so convenient for us. It was an anniversary trip about 4 years back; so it was just me and hubby. We loved the size of the ship....not too big (we are not "mega ship" people) Its hard to say if the kiddos would like it, not having ours with us that trip. The kids club on carnival are good though and I am sure they are the same through out their fleet. Maybe just pick the itinerary you are interested in and go with that.