Scooter Rental Comparisons

ladylyn915

As ladylyn suggested, check with whoever you are renting from. But all the scooters I have seen are similar enough that I doubt you will have a problem if you are used to scooters at all. I was used to the grocery store electric "shopping carts" when I rented a scooter for the first time and didn't have any difficulty using it. The only thing that might take some adjusting is how you set the rental scooter's speed, some models use a dial or have a high/low button like my Triaxe.

Ladylyn - absolutely our abilities and desires differ. Wouldn't it be a boring world if we all wanted the same things? But I am glad you responded with your outlook, so the OP can apply whichever parts of our differing responses apply to her situation and make the best decision for her. (And I will be curious to see if you still think any regular mini-suite would have plenty of room for a scooter after you have cruised!)

Ha Ha. We only have a balcony - good thing I love my grandchildren to the moon and back! I will definitely come back and let you know how it went.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 months later...
You are very welcome, ladylyn. As you can probably tell, I am a HUGE fan of mobility scooters. Both rental scooters and my personal scooter have made such a difference to my life that I want to see everyone who needs mobility assistance find whatever is best for their own situation. But it's one of those issues where you don't know what to ask until you have used one. ;) And it's definitely a case in which the more you know ahead of time, the more realistic your expectations will be and the less likely you are to encounter unpleasant surprises. When is your cruise? I hope you'll come back and tell us how it went for you!

As promised, I have returned home from our cruise on the Carnival Vista and want to share with you my experience. The Pride Go go Elite was waiting for me when we were allowed access to our stateroom. Although, it was tight, there was enough room to keep it assembled while all four of us were in the room. I was even able to turn it around inside the cabin. Getting the scooter in and out of the room was a bit of a challenge - not because of the door - but the hallway directly in front of our door jutted out just enough to be a problem. It was necessary to manually pick the scooter up and turn it slightly. This was not anything I had considered before the cruise. It wasn't a big deal for me, but would have been a problem for someone with less mobility.

The elevators were not a problem for the most part. I learned to take whatever came along that was empty - up or down- to get to where I wanted to be. I did not use it for Muster Drill. It was easy enough to park wherever I was going. People were terrific in helping me i.e. holding elevator doors, making room for the scooter once I arrived at a venue.

I did take the scooter off ship at Grand Turk and Curacao. Both times it was very easy and I had no problem. The ship staff helped guide me down and up the ramp.

I used the scooter far more than I expected to and it was a life saver. Only one day, I had gone down to Guest Services with my family ( an easy elevator ride from our deck) and then the group decided to pre-buy bingo cards. The walk across the ship to do this was very long and I did not attempt that again!

I am so happy I had the scooter and I urge anyone reading these posts not to hesitate renting one if you have ANY mobility issues- matter how small. If you are thinking about it - you need it!

Lastly, thank you to everyone here who shared so much information with me prior to my cruise. If I can pay it forward, I would be happy to answer any questions.

Lyn

Hi, on Navigator of the Seas right now. Rented a go go scooter.

One thing that was helpful, our room steward gave me a doorstop.

It made it easier to get thru door.

If renting a scooter, you might want to think of taking a small wedge door stop with you in case your ship does not have one. There are lots of scooter's, wheelchairs, walkers on our cruise.

Everyone has been helpful.

Drove scooter off at 2 ports so far.

Hi, on Navigator of the Seas right now. Rented a go go scooter.

One thing that was helpful, our room steward gave me a doorstop.

It made it easier to get thru door.

If renting a scooter, you might want to think of taking a small wedge door stop with you in case your ship does not have one. There are lots of scooter's, wheelchairs, walkers on our cruise.

Everyone has been helpful.

Drove scooter off at 2 ports so far.

Great tip! Thank you for sharing. Glad you are enjoying your cruise. Next month is my first cruise with a scooter! :cool:

I don't want to hijack this thread but I I just have a quick question. I own my own standard scooter at home butI I am planning on renting a scooter on an an Alaskan cruise on the Golden Princess in an accessible room. I plan on bringing my own foldable wheelchair also because we are going on some pre cruise boat tours that cannot accommodate an electronic mobility device because of Coast Guard regulations.

My question is should I rent a standard scooter that I am used to or should I rent a travel scooter that can be folded down and stored easier. Will I regret renting the travel scooter because of the differences mainly stability and ground clearance and speed to stop and ability to adjust and clear thresholds.

I do not need the scooter to move around my state room but I definitely need it to get around the ship and to walk any more than 50 feet .

Thanks in advance for any insight you could give me on this.

I rented from "Special Needs at Sea". I am on Royal Carribean and the gave me name of 2 companies that they recommend.

The scooter was in my room by around 1 PM.

They rent 3 wheel "Go Go Pride".

It drives right in and out of my accessible stateroom with no problem.

Lots of people on the ship have the exact same model, so I put one of my bright luggage tags from one of my suitcases on it. I would have put a bow and ribbon on it if I had brought one. Today a guy wanted to know if I had his, but I showed him my tag. He thought someone took his at dinner the night before.

He was sitting on a scooter but felt he had the wrong one.

I like the fact that if anything goes wrong with it, there is an 800 # to call. I also read they usually have an extra on the ship if anything goes wrong.

It is suppose to come apart in 5 pieces, so my husband watched the YouTube video and practiced it for our private tour tomorrow.

I don't think I could take it apart, but my husband can.

It is supposed to fit in the trunk of a car.

I will find out tomorrow.

I don't want to hijack this thread but I I just have a quick question. I own my own standard scooter at home butI I am planning on renting a scooter on an an Alaskan cruise on the Golden Princess in an accessible room. I plan on bringing my own foldable wheelchair also because we are going on some pre cruise boat tours that cannot accommodate an electronic mobility device because of Coast Guard regulations.

My question is should I rent a standard scooter that I am used to or should I rent a travel scooter that can be folded down and stored easier. Will I regret renting the travel scooter because of the differences mainly stability and ground clearance and speed to stop and ability to adjust and clear thresholds.

I do not need the scooter to move around my state room but I definitely need it to get around the ship and to walk any more than 50 feet .

Thanks in advance for any insight you could give me on this.

My scooter from Special Needs at Sea was The Pride Go Go Elite. I did not take it apart, so I cannot speak to that. But, I never had a scooter before and found this one extremely easy to use; it stopped on a dime and had no problems at all clearing thresholds. In Curacao there were cobblestone surfaces and the scooter performed beautifully. It takes a little practice to get back up the ramp to the ship, but I was able to that without incident as well. Although it has three wheels, I felt very safe on it and thought it was very stable

My scooter from Special Needs at Sea was The Pride Go Go Elite. I did not take it apart, so I cannot speak to that. But, I never had a scooter before and found this one extremely easy to use; it stopped on a dime and had no problems at all clearing thresholds. In Curacao there were cobblestone surfaces and the scooter performed beautifully. It takes a little practice to get back up the ramp to the ship, but I was able to that without incident as well. Although it has three wheels, I felt very safe on it and thought it was very stable

ladylyn915,

Thanks that helps! I'm glad to hear you found the Go Go Elite 3 wheel scooter stable and you were able to get up the ramp and maneuver thresholds and cobblestones.

Today in the Azores, my husband took it apart to take in trunk of the tour car.

We never got it out while driving. He put it back together to get from drop off place so I could drive it back on ship.

I now realize,

A wheel chair would have done the same thing, but he would of had to push me.

I do like the independence the scooter gives me.

The workers on the ramp are great at helping me on and off.

Today got off in Madeira.

Took hop on and off bus, red line.

They have buses that are scooter friendly.

Had to get back to bus that was taking us down to ship's terminal.

I was going uphill and hit a loose cobblestone.

Scooter would not start.

To make a long story short for the post.

Found out there is a reset button on battery.

If you rent a scooter be sure to know the reset button.

Today got off in Madeira.

Took hop on and off bus, red line.

They have buses that are scooter friendly.

Had to get back to bus that was taking us down to ship's terminal.

I was going uphill and hit a loose cobblestone.

Scooter would not start.

To make a long story short for the post.

Found out there is a reset button on battery.

If you rent a scooter be sure to know the reset button.

Oh my Goodness! I would have panicked for sure! Good to know. Where is the reset button?

Oh my Goodness! I would have panicked for sure! Good to know. Where is the reset button?

Reset button was in front of battery.

It looks like a small light bulb and it was lit up and white.

It is right above where you put in the charging cable each night.

Turn key off, then back on.

The rental go go scooter has a phone number on the key to call. I was getting ready to call when someone on another scooter was driving by and told me.

Experimented with my scooter to night, an at sea day.

Reset button that is an opaque small light bulb just above where I plug into the battery was not lit in on position on my Go go rented scooter.

So I guess the light goes on when it needs to be reset.

Hope it helps all novices like me.

Reset button that is an opaque small light bulb just above where I plug into the battery was not lit in on position on my Go go rented scooter.

Personally own 2 Pride Go GoElite Traveler Scooters. Thought it may appear that a light comes on in actuality there is no lite. There is a button that the bubble covers. When the scooter can't handle the incline because it's greater than 6 degrees which is the maximum the go go scooters are rated for, the button pops out underneath the bubble and than you have to make certain that the button is pressed back in. If after repeated times of shutting the scooter off and pressing the bottom the scooter does not restart the scooter than it's likely the motor was damaged in the process of trying to go up an incline that the scooter couldn't handle.

Also note that any attempt to climb or descend a slope that's greater than 6 degrees can cause the scooter to be unstable and or cause it to tip.

Personally own 2 Pride Go GoElite Traveler Scooters. Thought it may appear that a light comes on in actuality there is no lite. There is a button that the bubble covers. When the scooter can't handle the incline because it's greater than 6 degrees which is the maximum the go go scooters are rated for, the button pops out underneath the bubble and than you have to make certain that the button is pressed back in. If after repeated times of shutting the scooter off and pressing the bottom the scooter does not restart the scooter than it's likely the motor was damaged in the process of trying to go up an incline that the scooter couldn't handle.

Also note that any attempt to climb or descend a slope that's greater than 6 degrees can cause the scooter to be unstable and or cause it to tip.

xxoocruiser,

Do you think that it would be better for someone to rent a standard scooter if they plan on using it for shore excursions so it could handle the incline?

xxoocruiser,

Do you think that it would be better for someone to rent a standard scooter if they plan on using it for shore excursions so it could handle the incline?

Much depends on the itinerary as well as the type of excursions. You also need to consider that a Full Size Scooter ( which you refer to as a standard scooter) does not breakdown as easily to fit into a van that does not have a lift. Accessible Vans as well as excursions that will accommodate a scooter are difficult to find. The Pride GoGo series of scooters easily disassemble. Fast forward to the 54 sec. mark of this link for disassembly instructions

SpecialNeedsatSeas and Scootaround classify their scooters differently and the term "Standard Scooter" does not apply to the same scooter model.

SpecialNeedsatSeas

• Standard Scooter = Pride GoGo Sport or Pride GoGo Elite Traveler
  • Heavy Duty Scooter = Pride Victory 9 or 10
  • Bariatric Scooter = Pride Maxima or Golden Technologies Bariatric Scooter

Scooteraround

• Transportable Scooter = Pride GoGo Sport or Pride GoGo Elite Traveler
  • Standard Scooter - Pride Victory 10
  • HD Scooter = Pride Maxima

Other helpful information when renting a scooter for a cruise

• Embarkation Day: The rental scooter will be deliver to the cabin onembarkation day and must be left in the cabin on disembarkation day. If you use the ship's wheelchair assistance on embarkation day note that you will be dropped off in a public area . If not taken directly to your cabin and dropped off in a public area than once cabins are available to passengers someone from your party will have to go to the cabin to get the scooter if you're unable to make the walk. The scooter rental contract states that the scooter will not be delivered until 2:00 PM . It's also important to note that ships supplies take priority for loading on board so the scooter may not be delivered to you cabin by 2:00 PM though it was delivered to port on time.
  • Disembarkation Day: The rental scooter must be left in the cabin on disembarkation day. . The night before a location for wheelchair assistance for disembarkation will be published in the daily cruise newsletter. You can ride the scooter to that location but than someone from your group must than take the scooter back to cabin for pickup from the rental company. Sometimes depending on the person in charge of the wheelchair waiting area may let you leave the scooter in that area and not have to take it back to the room.
  • If you have not booked an accessible cabin than depending on the type of scooter required due to weight capacity it may not fit through the stateroom door. All scooters and wheelchairs MUST be stored in the stateroom. Due to the safety and escape way requirements established by SOLAS (Safety of Life at Seas) regulations, it cannot be stored in the hallways, stairways, or any other public area. Ignoring these regulations can and does impede the safety of others whether disabled or abled bodied moving about the hallways not to mention impedes the safety of all on board the ship in the event of an actual emergency. Even if the cabin attendant tells you it's Ok it's NOT ! I for one will contact the ships security to have the scooter removed if one is observed left in the hallway.
  • Scooters or any personal items for that matter CANNOT be stored on balcony.
  • After you obtained the scooter you should go to the dining room to check the location of your assigned table if traditional dining has been chosen. Reason you need to check that there is a good path to drive the scooter to the table. Once at the table you can transfer to a chair and the wait staff will than park the scooter in area that will not hinder others in the dining room. If there's an issue than go to the Matre'D and request a change in table location.
  • Scooter keys are not unique as car keys. Scooter keys are universal and a scooter can easily be mistaken. Therefore I suggest you bring an extra luggage tag for the scooter to identify your rental scooter.
  • The most common scooters rented by SpecialNeedsatSeas and Scootaround ( formerly CareVacations) are the Pride Go Go Elite Traveler or the Pride Go Go Sport which both have a very low under clearance of 1.5". Therefore it's not unusual that the scooter will get hung up on the gangway joints. Under no circumstance should you allow the ship's personnel to force push the scooter over the joints which is the crews first reactive response. The scooter needs to be placed in freewheel mode and then rolled over the joints. To place in freewheel mode there is a yellow lever on the rear wheels directly under the seat. When the lever is in the Locked Icon Mode the scooter is able to be driven. If in the Un-Locked Icon mode the scooter will be in Freewheel mode. If you aren't able to walk down/up the gangway than a person from the ship's crew must guide the scooter up/down the ramp while another pushes the scooter up/down the ramp while. If you're able to walk up/down the ramp it's recommended that you do so while the scooter is than freewheeled pulled up/down the ramp. If the scooter isn't placed in freewheel and the crew force pushes the scooter over the gangway joints the scooter can be permanently damaged and since it's a rental you will be responsible for the repair costs or possibly the complete replacement cost.
  • If there are any tendered ports you will only be permitted onto the tender if the tender has roll-on capabilities. Also note regardless of whether it's a docked or tendered port Captain has the discretion to not allow wheelchairs and scooters from exiting the ship as safety of the passengers is always the utmost concern.
  • The scooter does not stop a dime. It has a rolling stop… the slower the speed prior to stopping the shorter the roll… the faster the speed the longer the roll. Therefore you need to always be aware of this so as not to run into other passengers and or objects.
  • You may encounter thresholds going to and coming from an outside deck that the scooter can get hung up on which makes it difficult to clear. You at times will have to scout out other routes that have a better leveled doorway threshold.
  • Elevators will also be an issue with scooters as able-bodied passengers will jump in front of you to get into the elevator first no matter that you were there first. It's not just kids. I have found that adults are often worse than the lids on-board. At peak times you're best to take the elevator that's further from your destination as it will be less congested.
  • Get on the first elevator that has open space for the scooter regardless if it's going the opposite direction of what you want. What goes up must come down and vice versa.
  • Arrive at the muster drill early to avoid all the crowds getting onto elevators.It's recommended that you remain at the muster drill location for at least 15 minutes if not more after it's ended to avoid the congestion at the elevator. It will be impossible to get onto an elevator until the crowds have cleared.
  • Expect that there will be obstacles such as room service carts as well as inconsiderate passengers that have intentionally left their wheelchairs, scooters , other mobility equipment as well as baby strollers in the hallway of where you cabin is located.
  • For any mobility equipment left in the hallway which blocks you passage don't think twice about calling the ships security to have it removed immediately. As far as the room service cart there's usually a cabin steward nearby so just yell out for assistance and it will be repositioned so you can pass.
  • If you don't intend to go on excursions than suggest you wait to get off the ship until the masses have gone. Reason being that security and gangway personnel generally have to shut down the process to make certain you get off safely with scooter. Other passengers waiting in line get restless particularly if they're on a time restriction to meet up with an excursion.

Much depends on the itinerary as well as the type of excursions. You also need to consider that a Full Size Scooter ( which you refer to as a standard scooter) does not breakdown as easily to fit into a van that does not have a lift. Accessible Vans as well as excursions that will accommodate a scooter are difficult to find. The Pride GoGo series of scooters easily disassemble. Fast forward to the 54 sec. mark of this link for disassembly instructions

SpecialNeedsatSeas and Scootaround classify their scooters differently and the term "Standard Scooter" does not apply to the same scooter model.

SpecialNeedsatSeas

• Standard Scooter = Pride GoGo Sport or Pride GoGo Elite Traveler
  • Heavy Duty Scooter = Pride Victory 9 or 10
  • Bariatric Scooter = Pride Maxima or Golden Technologies Bariatric Scooter

Scooteraround

• Transportable Scooter = Pride GoGo Sport or Pride GoGo Elite Traveler
  • Standard Scooter - Pride Victory 10
  • HD Scooter = Pride Maxima

Other helpful information when renting a scooter for a cruise

• Embarkation Day: The rental scooter will be deliver to the cabin onembarkation day and must be left in the cabin on disembarkation day. If you use the ship's wheelchair assistance on embarkation day note that you will be dropped off in a public area . If not taken directly to your cabin and dropped off in a public area than once cabins are available to passengers someone from your party will have to go to the cabin to get the scooter if you're unable to make the walk. The scooter rental contract states that the scooter will not be delivered until 2:00 PM . It's also important to note that ships supplies take priority for loading on board so the scooter may not be delivered to you cabin by 2:00 PM though it was delivered to port on time.
  • Disembarkation Day: The rental scooter must be left in the cabin on disembarkation day. . The night before a location for wheelchair assistance for disembarkation will be published in the daily cruise newsletter. You can ride the scooter to that location but than someone from your group must than take the scooter back to cabin for pickup from the rental company. Sometimes depending on the person in charge of the wheelchair waiting area may let you leave the scooter in that area and not have to take it back to the room.
  • If you have not booked an accessible cabin than depending on the type of scooter required due to weight capacity it may not fit through the stateroom door. All scooters and wheelchairs MUST be stored in the stateroom. Due to the safety and escape way requirements established by SOLAS (Safety of Life at Seas) regulations, it cannot be stored in the hallways, stairways, or any other public area. Ignoring these regulations can and does impede the safety of others whether disabled or abled bodied moving about the hallways not to mention impedes the safety of all on board the ship in the event of an actual emergency. Even if the cabin attendant tells you it's Ok it's NOT ! I for one will contact the ships security to have the scooter removed if one is observed left in the hallway.
  • Scooters or any personal items for that matter CANNOT be stored on balcony.
  • After you obtained the scooter you should go to the dining room to check the location of your assigned table if traditional dining has been chosen. Reason you need to check that there is a good path to drive the scooter to the table. Once at the table you can transfer to a chair and the wait staff will than park the scooter in area that will not hinder others in the dining room. If there's an issue than go to the Matre'D and request a change in table location.
  • Scooter keys are not unique as car keys. Scooter keys are universal and a scooter can easily be mistaken. Therefore I suggest you bring an extra luggage tag for the scooter to identify your rental scooter.
  • The most common scooters rented by SpecialNeedsatSeas and Scootaround ( formerly CareVacations) are the Pride Go Go Elite Traveler or the Pride Go Go Sport which both have a very low under clearance of 1.5". Therefore it's not unusual that the scooter will get hung up on the gangway joints. Under no circumstance should you allow the ship's personnel to force push the scooter over the joints which is the crews first reactive response. The scooter needs to be placed in freewheel mode and then rolled over the joints. To place in freewheel mode there is a yellow lever on the rear wheels directly under the seat. When the lever is in the Locked Icon Mode the scooter is able to be driven. If in the Un-Locked Icon mode the scooter will be in Freewheel mode. If you aren't able to walk down/up the gangway than a person from the ship's crew must guide the scooter up/down the ramp while another pushes the scooter up/down the ramp while. If you're able to walk up/down the ramp it's recommended that you do so while the scooter is than freewheeled pulled up/down the ramp. If the scooter isn't placed in freewheel and the crew force pushes the scooter over the gangway joints the scooter can be permanently damaged and since it's a rental you will be responsible for the repair costs or possibly the complete replacement cost.
  • If there are any tendered ports you will only be permitted onto the tender if the tender has roll-on capabilities. Also note regardless of whether it's a docked or tendered port Captain has the discretion to not allow wheelchairs and scooters from exiting the ship as safety of the passengers is always the utmost concern.
  • The scooter does not stop a dime. It has a rolling stop… the slower the speed prior to stopping the shorter the roll… the faster the speed the longer the roll. Therefore you need to always be aware of this so as not to run into other passengers and or objects.
  • You may encounter thresholds going to and coming from an outside deck that the scooter can get hung up on which makes it difficult to clear. You at times will have to scout out other routes that have a better leveled doorway threshold.
  • Elevators will also be an issue with scooters as able-bodied passengers will jump in front of you to get into the elevator first no matter that you were there first. It's not just kids. I have found that adults are often worse than the lids on-board. At peak times you're best to take the elevator that's further from your destination as it will be less congested.
  • Get on the first elevator that has open space for the scooter regardless if it's going the opposite direction of what you want. What goes up must come down and vice versa.
  • Arrive at the muster drill early to avoid all the crowds getting onto elevators.It's recommended that you remain at the muster drill location for at least 15 minutes if not more after it's ended to avoid the congestion at the elevator. It will be impossible to get onto an elevator until the crowds have cleared.
  • Expect that there will be obstacles such as room service carts as well as inconsiderate passengers that have intentionally left their wheelchairs, scooters , other mobility equipment as well as baby strollers in the hallway of where you cabin is located.
  • For any mobility equipment left in the hallway which blocks you passage don't think twice about calling the ships security to have it removed immediately. As far as the room service cart there's usually a cabin steward nearby so just yell out for assistance and it will be repositioned so you can pass.
  • If you don't intend to go on excursions than suggest you wait to get off the ship until the masses have gone. Reason being that security and gangway personnel generally have to shut down the process to make certain you get off safely with scooter. Other passengers waiting in line get restless particularly if they're on a time restriction to meet up with an excursion.

Thank you for the clarification on the scooters! I actually have a spin life catalogue and have been on both websites you mentioned but they do not say what the actual models are so now I will be able to see what I will actually be renting and possibly go and test drive them at a dealer in my area. Thanks again!

I've seen the same information posted several times about scooters not being delivered until 2pm, you have to leave the scooter in the cabin upon disembarkation, etc. and wanted to share my experiences, which differ from the stated expectations.

As always, at a minimum, expect what you're told in writing, but that doesn't always translate into real world experience, so for what it's worth - here's mine.

I've only used Special Needs at Sea and have been thrilled with their service. The scooter was in the cabin upon arrival (well before 2pm), and both times that I rented a scooter, I went to the wheelchair assistance designated area on the last day with my scooter, and everything was fine. In fact, on our last cruise to Hawaii, the scooter rep came into the lounge to check on everyone who had rented a scooter and asked if it was ok if he took it, as he needed to get it ready for the people arriving that day. No need to worry about how to get from the cabin to the wheelchair assistance meeting place.

Even after spending a busy day navigating around the ship or various ports, the battery rarely, if ever, registered as anything less than fully charged. I charged it every night, and as others have noted, having the plug on the tiller makes it easily accessible.

We've had accessible cabins the last few cruises, so I can't speak to storage in a different-sized cabin, but on Princess we've had room for two scooters in a HC accessible cabin with plenty of room to move around.

I heartily endorse the notion of checking out the dining room if you have an assigned table. On our last cruise we were assigned a table that involved several steps and we spent a lot of time waiting to speak to the maitre d' on the first day to get it changed.

Most nights I was able to leave the scooter near a wall close to the table for dinner - but in case dining room staff need to move it out of the dining room for you - make sure you have turned the speed all the way down!

Practice is essential - it took a while, but I finally mastered backing out of the cabin with the scooter in one go, while balancing a cane and holding the cabin door open at the same time.

The ship's personnel have been very speedy about getting me on/off the ship at ports with the scooter and I don't think it ever caused a big delay. They do this frequently and know what to do.

I am a big fan of renting a scooter to make my vacation more pleasant - without question, I've been able to do and see more because I rented one. It's been well worth it to me. Good luck to everyone reading this thread with your cruises!