Help a Ginger ;)

EmilyAnn86

I am a classic ginger with red hair, blue eyes, freckles, and VERY fair skin. Any tips on how to enjoy my cruise and not get burned? I typically don't spend more than 30 minutes outside at a time because I burn even with sunscreen. I know the basics, sunscreen, long sleeve rashguard, hat, and reapply the sunscreen often, but normally I stay indoors when the sun is at it's peak and limit my time in the sun as much as possible. I live in NC, so I know the Caribbean and Bahamas are much closer to the equator than I am used to.

Agree with Sauer-kraut in that there is not much more to recommend beyond that which you already have identified. But to be clear, the Bahamas for the most part are off the coast of Florida, so not that much different in terms of sun exposure than you already are.

But the Caribbean is getting further south and hotter, and the Southern Caribbean in particular does get more intense with the sun, but is still quite a distance above the equator. Just take the precautions you already have mentioned - really not much else you can do.

I guess the only thing I would add is to try and bring enough sunscreen with you so you don't have to buy it on the ship. But if necessary, you can buy it on the ship or in Port. And I'm sure you know this but just in case you don't, I'll also add that it is possible to get sunburned even on cloudy days. Good luck, have a great cruise!

Not only buy 50 spf or higher, but apply often, especially if you are swimming a lot.

Don't forget to apply it before going to pool or beach. It needs to start working.

I have seen other people mention getting sunburned even in the shade due to the reflection off the sand and water. Is this typically an issue?

I'm sure anything is possible if people are reporting it as occurring with them, but I've not experienced anything like that. (But I am also not at prone as you would be). I would think that same thing could occur on the Carolina coastal beaches - not sure it would be an issue specific to the Caribbean.

Again, I think all you can do to protect yourself is by doing that which you have described and others have offered. Or if you are overly concerned stay out of the sun as much as possible. Just understand the the sun is more intense in the Caribbean - and more so in the Southern Caribbean - than on the US coastal beaches and prepare accordingly. And again the Bahamas are not in the Caribbean but off the coast of Florida so the sun intensity would be similar to Florida.

I have a similar problem to yours (OP). I've been through the "C" once and don't intend to do it again. Truth be told, I try hard to avoid Caribbean cruises because I am not a sun and beach guy.

I spend a lot of time on a small fishing boat in various lakes. I use massive amounts of high SPF sun block. Additionally I have good UV blocking sunglasses. Even better I have several long sleeve shirts that are UPF rated (UPF is the SPF equivalent for clothing). All of mine use some kind of moisture wicking fabric that makes them comfortable to wear in hot weather. Columbia might be one of the better known brands but there are many others. Even my hat has a UPF rating (not to mention a wide brim).

I'm old enough to remember the thick white zinc oxide paste our Mom forced us to put on our noses. I wonder if they still make that stuff. :confused:

Being fair and frequently overexposed as a child, have had my share of basal and squamous cell experiences. I get scanned twice a year. Most important I use a good sunblock my dermatologist swears by: Bullfrog SPF 36 or 50. There is little practical difference - as long as you use a good amount and re-apply frequently.

With care, I can enjoy beaches and sailing - and never get burned.

There are a number of effective sunblocks on the market - if you use them correctly, you can enjoy outdoors - even in the Caribbean.

I have seen other people mention getting sunburned even in the shade due to the reflection off the sand and water. Is this typically an issue?

Glad you mention this as it is very much an issue, especially, IMO, on bodies of water.

I too am very fair skinned. I have found that applying a thorough coat of 50+ sunscreen at least 30 minutes before exposure helps. I gave seen people spaying themselves once they ate ashore! Too late. I wear a hate and a rash guard (lands end , thank you). And of course, stay in the shade when possible. I have done 13+ cruises and only gotten the back of my hand burned. Have fun!!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

I'm afraid so- yes, I'm the same Celtic colouring; I was sitting reading at the back of the ship, in the shade- no sunscreen on- and the side of my face near the sea was burnt. I was once in Hawaii sitting under a shelter, with a cotton wrap round my legs, and still burnt my legs.

My husband uses that lotion which you apply once, called P20. He applies it in the cabin, then lets it dry for 20 mins; he snorkels all morning with no problems- he's quite fair skinned, but not as fair as me. I'm going to try using it in Norway, because the reflection from the fjords has caught me out before. :o

My husband is the same coloring and he has gotten burned in the shade - although I repeatedly mentioned that I thought he should apply sunscreen as it looked to me like he was getting red - he would not listen to me and told me he was just fine and he got a bad sunburn in under 30 minutes.

Nowadays, we do things like rent a cabana at the beach - the ones at Mahogany Bay are awesome as are the ones RCCL has on Labadee. Yes it is expensive, but it is way better than him getting a sunburn.

Totally agree with the rent a cabana, I know you pay enough to purchase it and only get it for a few hours but sunburn will ruin everything!

Also the comment about sunscreen manufacturer is vital. We spent Christmas in Florida and used our own from the uk and it worked great. Towards the end we purchased a pharmacy own brand - even though it was double the cost of the uk. We burnt within a couple of hours. Then had to buy more.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sunburn is one more reason why we are choosing more and more northern cruises (Canada/New England, Alaska) rather than Caribbean or Bahamas. And we've found we enjoy them more overall, as well.

I noticed on our last cruise that crew had long-sleeve rashguards to wear when they had outside duty.

I am a classic ginger with red hair, blue eyes, freckles, and VERY fair skin. Any tips on how to enjoy my cruise and not get burned? I typically don't spend more than 30 minutes outside at a time because I burn even with sunscreen. I know the basics, sunscreen, long sleeve rashguard, hat, and reapply the sunscreen often, but normally I stay indoors when the sun is at it's peak and limit my time in the sun as much as possible. I live in NC, so I know the Caribbean and Bahamas are much closer to the equator than I am used to.

Use the best quality sunscreen you can find (advice from a formerely red haired fair skin guy).

I also believe that SPF clothing is a great investment. You will find a big selection at Lands End and a website called Coolibar. I've found that if I snorkel in a regular T shirt I get burned on my back but not in my Lands Ends SPF shirts.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I am red head and very light skinned and live in the Pacific Northwest. I have had successful vacations to Hawaii, Caribbean and Florida without sunburn. However, I did get sunburned in Alaska! I use the spray sunscreen from Walmart. I put on my suit and jump in the shower where my husband sprays me from head to toe while I slowly turn. Be sure to wipe your feet bottoms and to run the shower to get the slippery spray off the shower bottom. I use this with a hat when I am NOT going into the ocean. When in the water, I wear a long sleeve rash guard along with the zinc based coral safe sunscreen. Works like a charm every time.

My step-daughter and her cousins are gingers but also love being out in the sun - they go through SPF50+ sunblock like there's no tomorrow.

They all follow the recommendations that have been posted - wide brimmed hat, slathering sun block 30 minutes before heading out and liberally reapplying every 90 minutes or so and the like. As for UPF (for Ultraviolet Protection Factor) clothing - its not necessary to shell out the extra bucks for poly/spandex clothes embedded with TiO2 - clothing in general offer various levels of protection to begin with, some better than others but all better than nothing. Think of farmer's tans - tan lines in general

And yes - she found out the hard way that even out of direct sunlight, you will get UV rays bounced back off water, concrete, sand, etc. Thought she was safe in the shade of a chickee hut on the beach, but.........