Royal Carribbean Non Refundable Deposit Program

6136d1634d93d53e5d5f289d1a8c54c2.png

Hmmm.

My original words were: "Also there will be no change in price. " I.e. they won't be making existing fares cheaper. When I wrote this the next time the context was 'lower than present.'

They only apply the non-refundable offer and OBC to the existing lowest price. i.e. if you checked that cruise before, the base price should have also been $1139. Other prices (e.g. the full price, and other promotions) will not be combinable with non-refundable offers, presumably to make it look more enticing - and mean that if you want their best price you have to take the non-refundable condition.

The suspicion is that this will make people book more like airfares, where they go for the cheapest as they often do, but are then getting the non-refundable condition tied to it. Now if you want non-refundable deposits on other bookings, you have to pay a higher price offer as well.

Incorrect.

From what's been publicised, it will be a choice on most cabin grades, with the resultant benefit of a non-refundable deposit being a reduced fare.

For suites however, there is no option to book with a refundable deposit as you have been able to in the past.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is the same as cancelling an airline fare - you pay a penalty for doing so. Don't see why this policy results in people saying they will never sail RCI again? In the case of suites - $100 loss from the deposit is such a small portion of the total cost.

Advanced booking conditions are becoming a real turn off for cruising. As I have had had previous posts in regard to a lost deposit I am still very angry that a huge deposit paid almost 2 years prior to a cruise that now appears to be a "donation" to the cruise company. We had to cancel 5 months prior to departure date due to a serious medical problem, however the cruise company now requires in excess of 6 months notification of cancellation for a cruise over 30 days. I won't name the company as I have not given up. What makes it worse the parent company in USA only requires 4 months notice.

Doesn't Travel Insurance cover the cancellation ?

David, are you referring to Happysnapper's post?

If so, they posted their issue a while ago.

They had paid a large deposit, it was a longer cruise, thought that their Credit card cover would cover it.

Had to cancel for medical reasons and the Travel Insurance on the CC only covered if the trip was paid in full.

I believe that ( Princess) I think it was are not refunding the deposit as it was within the penalty for the longer cruise. The CC company were not covering it either.

Just to add if you were referring to the overall cancellation of cruises booked with these non refundable deposits, wonder how the Insurance will handle them?

Doesn't Travel Insurance cover the cancellation ?

As on previous cruises and OS holidays I was relying on Credit Card Complimentary Insurance, which I found out after the event, does not come into effect until you have been issued with your tickets. My mistake. Also many travel insurances can only be purchased 12 months prior to travel. I have certainly learnt a painful (hip pocket) lesson. So no more advanced bookings and 20% deposits for us.

Just to add if you were referring to the overall cancellation of cruises booked with these non refundable deposits, wonder how the Insurance will handle them?

Sorry ...I was just thinking in general terms. Shows the importance of having Insurance from the day you book.In my cruising days we had 2 cancellations .One was 9/11 when a big land trip and cruise had been planned and fully paid for in the States and we were due to fly out that day. The sky's were closed and we got eventually got everything back. The other was when I had a cruise arranged with a friend. He took out Insurance when the deposit was paid and I thought I would wait until final payment was due to take out mine. Wrong ... that's when I had my stroke ....the cruise had to be cancelled and my friend got the deposit back in full and mine went west.:(

Wrong ... that's when I had my stroke ....the cruise had to be cancelled and my friend got the deposit back in full and mine went west.:(

:(:(:*:*

I am very mindful, now of insurance. Our CC travel insurance is very comprehensive, I have checked it against a lot of others and it covers for deposit cancellations.

Interesting thought though, that if you purchased a cruise and paid in full as P&O are offering, or a non refundable deposit as Royal are offering, how would the insurance company's stand with this if you need to cancel for for good reason?

Would they use the defence that you had knowledge that it was non refundable. P&O are offering to pay up front for very reduced prices a year or more out:eek:

Interesting thought though, that if you purchased a cruise and paid in full as P&O are offering, or a non refundable deposit as Royal are offering, how would the insurance company's stand with this if you need to cancel for for good reason?

Would they use the defence that you had knowledge that it was non refundable. P&O are offering to pay up front for very reduced prices a year or more out:eek:

You'd be covered up to their standard amounts covered. If they explicitly state a limit on deposits than this would apply.

This is the same as cancelling an airline fare - you pay a penalty for doing so. Don't see why this policy results in people saying they will never sail RCI again? In the case of suites - $100 loss from the deposit is such a small portion of the total cost.

Because it's my money, and I'll direct it to companies that don't take advantage of their customers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coincidentally, we have this afternoon received a phone call and email from the cruise company offering us a refund of half our deposit as a future cruise credit. They also pointed out the importance of adequate insurance for cruising.

Anyone care to guess how this flies with booking on board OBC bonus. If you take and spend the OBC bonus on the cruise you book the future cruise on there is no deposit to actually lose as you have already spent that exact amount on the current ship.

If you are pretty sure what cruise you want, combined with the small deposit that you get to spend on board (which if your on board spend exceeds that is only money you would have spent anyway) plus the extra OBC on the booked cruise (and a cheaper fare). Seems like an OK deal to me.

Obviously Royal are trying to stop all the multiple maybe bookings (I have three at present that I have no plans to take.They are just placeholders I will move later) that result in cabin dumping just before final payment. Its just another system that will need to be worked to get the best value and try to keep some flexibility.

My guess is that even if I pay the occasional $100pp change fee I will come out on front with good planning.

Interesting strategy and if you can get it to work for you, all power to you.

I suppose the biggest problem is Royal would be aware of these and similar strategies and if they feel they are losing out (by too many people doing it) they will change the rules /policies to close the loop holes.