What "odd" things do you look forward to when cruising?

cruisin_cutie

Love it when we are in a distant port and the locals gather to see our ship leave and bid us farewell. Especially remember the wonderful people in St. John's cruising with their cars by the port and the residents lining the ridge to wave goodbye. Feel so fortunate being able to travel and see the world.

• 1 month later...

Reading all these posts just makes me wanna smile and makes me realize I'm not the only one with crazy things I look forward to : )

Rccl specific -

I love handing my sea pass card to security so they can swipe it thru the computer.. That ding noise that machine makes brings back memories from previous cruises.. I wish I could make that my ring tone or my doorbell at home lol..

Does anyone else love the sour dough rolls they serve in the dining room and Windjammer? Iv been searching all over for that exact recipe..

Love laying in the solarium drinking a mango tango and hearing the chimes over the speakers.. Good afternoon this is your captain speaking!

Does anyone else notice that the schooner bar on every ship has that same distinct scent?

How else are you supposed to know what day it is or what deck you are on without the elevator informing you lol

While I love a lot of the things that have been posted on this thread, My Favorite thing is watching the beautiful aquamarine ribbon that the ship leaves in the cobalt sea. I could stand on my aft balcony and watch it for hours. The color is so vibrant that it looks unreal. Less than 6 months now: Come on Cruise time;);)

• 2 weeks later...

There's a good chance we're going on the Triumph again next summer and I know this is weird, but I look forward to giggling like a schoolgirl at the mural (???) with the nekkid boys fishing outside the Rome lounge. Every time I passed by that thing, I couldn't help but laugh a little because DUDE! NEKKKID! :D

• 4 weeks later...
I haven't cruised yet. And, for the record, I'm not wishing any heart attacks on anybody. But it would be interesting to see a Coast Guard chopper land on the ship's pad.

Here's a video of the Coast Guard removing a passenger from a cruise ship. I believe it is a Holland America ship. As has been posted, the standard method is to retrieve the patient in a stokes litter (basket).

http://www.weather.com/video/cruise-ship-emergency-32252

• 3 years later...

Welcome aboard drink

Server that scrapes crumbs off tablecloth between course

A personal dude to pour our wine. 8 dollars at Costco, but 32 at sea!

Drinks in hot tub watching the wake

Afternoon "naps"

Towel critters

Room fairies that clean, turn down sheets, and give chocolates

Philipino dudes that sing jimmy buffet as good as jimmy buffet

Ocean view tables with dolphins racing us out to sea

Photo night. Hundreds of poses in 30 minutes

Silly trivia shows

• 3 weeks later...
I cant wait to hear the Captains droning voice over the intercom talking about speed, knots, and weather in the mornings!! To me, that means IM CRUISING!! :D

I love that very first public announcement just before the mooring lines are thrown. "All guests please return ashore, this ship is under sailing orders" or something like that. I get excited every time

One of my favorite parts is actually the mini road trip to get to the cruise port. It's about 8 hours for us and it's a really enjoyable drive. My boyfriend and I talk for hours, listen to podcasts and audiobooks, and I play games on my 3DS when I'm not driving.

My DH and I love to feel the ship moving, especially after an exhausting but wonderful day in port. We love to have the ship gently rock us to sleep. I told him he should come up with a way for our house to do that! We even like the rougher seas. (I know - we're weird!)

If there was little Ocean Motion I would feel deprived of the true Cruise experience.:cool:

If there was little Ocean Motion I would feel deprived of the true Cruise experience.:cool:

Our ship on the outbound leg took a left hook to avoid a storm at sea moving toward shore. Even with stabilizers, there was ample ocean motion to make carrying a tray of food in the Windjammer quite an experience. ;)

• 1 month later...

Just to be on a cruise.

But the two things for us are walking on the promenade deck, sitting on the baloney watching the wake.

But also on sea days going up top for the before breakfast walk, and seeing only ocean all around you..

one morning is was a bit windy 50+ knots across the deck, it made you feel alive.

Cheers Don

Just to be on a cruise.

But the two things for us are walking on the promenade deck, sitting on the baloney watching the wake.

But also on sea days going up top for the before breakfast walk, and seeing only ocean all around you..

one morning is was a bit windy 50+ knots across the deck, it made you feel alive.

Cheers Don

I sat on a baloney once...i'll never do it again. Very slimy and I had dogs chasing me for hours...