Linz or wander around Salzburg without doing Sound of Music tours with Scenic?

montelco

We are doing the Scenic cruise which includes an option of Salzburg with Sound of Music tours. We are interested in seeing Salzburg ,but not doing The Sound of Music tours. Is it possible to have a look around Salzburg on our own without the lunch and music and catch up with the bus later or should we just explore Linz? What is there to see and do in Linz? any advice would be most welcome.:confused:

I can not speak to Scenic's tours to Salzburg, but I have been to both Salzburg and Linz. If you have not been to either Salzburg probably has more to offer and is worth the ride to get there. That said Linz is a pleasant city with several good museums. For me Linz's number one attraction is the Pöstlingbergbahn mountain tram (see Wikipedia). A short ride up into the hills and woods with nice short walks at the top. Either way ENJOY.

Thom

Ok..I will chime in on your decision on taking the Sound of Musician tour. We had the same decision to make a few years ago on our River cruise.. We really enjoyed it kind of hokey singing all the songs on the bus. We had lots of fun a really enjoyable day.. :)

We took a non Sound of Music theme tour to Salzburg thru AMA but you still visit Sound of Music fan friendly places because the movie was filmed in Salzburg. So we visited the park with the fountains and gardens for the DoReiMe scenes not because of the movie but because it's a gorgeous famous park. The same for other places, it is a famous site in Salzburg where the movie happened to film. On the way there we stopped at the town where they filmed the wedding scene. It's halfway between Linz and Salzburg. The town is cute with a gorgeous picturesque view. Again still worth visiting if not interested in Sound of Music. Old Town Salzburg is very walkable. We took the funicular to the fort, walked through the old church and cemetery (the real location where Maria got married and hid.)There was an international folk festival going on so we sat and enjoyed that. Lots of food stands available. Others enjoyed touring Mozarts house. Lots to do within a few block range

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I opted for the Linz tour on Uniworld and really enjoyed it. It's an interesting town, and our guide took us to the coffee house where the Linzer torte was invented - yum!

Roz

I opted for the Linz tour on Uniworld and really enjoyed it. It's an interesting town, and our guide took us to the coffee house where the Linzer torte was invented - yum!

Roz

I would love to read your review of your uniworld cruise We are traveling from Budapest to Prague any suggestions

My review is here on cruise critic. Look under Uniworld - River Beatrice. The cruise was in November 2015 and was Budapest to Passau. If you have specific questions just post them and I'll be happy to answer them.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Forums mobile app

Thanks for all the advice and hints. Does anyone know how long the bus ride is from Passau to Salzburg? I am interested in seeing the sights of Salzburg, including any film locations from the Sound of Music but I know that my husband would get restless in the music sessions because he needs to move around and out and about. Are there any markets in either Linz or Salzburg?

I did a Scenic Cruise in September, possibly in the opposite direction to you. We did Amsterdam to Budapest. The people going to Salzburg left from Passau and met the boat late afternoon in Linz. We stayed on board that date as both a little under the weather so from that point of view, the boat left Passau about 10am and arrived in Linz around 5pm. We got off and had a wander but there is not much time in either port. We thoroughly enjoyed the scenery from the boat that day. If you want to explore, I'd say you are better off going to Salzburg but talk to the cruise director as they are very obliging. There is another thread here somewhere about taking a train from Passau to Linz. You won't be disappointed in whatever you decide!

Sent from my SM-T350 using Forums mobile app

We love Salzburg and have stayed in the city many times. Never had any interest in the SOM tour and still do not.

We have twice taken the train from Linz to Salzburg DIY to spend the day and totally enjoyed it! Simple and then you can do exactly as you please with your day.

Thanks for all the advice and hints. Does anyone know how long the bus ride is from Passau to Salzburg? I am interested in seeing the sights of Salzburg, including any film locations from the Sound of Music but I know that my husband would get restless in the music sessions because he needs to move around and out and about. Are there any markets in either Linz or Salzburg?

Plenty of markets in Salzburg.IMG_1496076676.510916.jpg.581987e8208ebcc2113fe3e10a51934d.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Forums