Alesund for a day

We are torn between just taking the HOHO bus, walking around the town to take in the beauty of the place (maybe doing the 1.5 hour tourist office walking tour at noon), going up to the viewpoint on the HOHO and visiting the outdoor museum on the HOHO.

Otherwise we could take a tour (not via the ship) which visits Giske, Godoy, the outdoor museum, the viewpoint and the town - although not with a lot of time to wander around the town.

We are in port from 9.00 - 17.00.

Are we better to spend more time in Alesund or see more with less time in Alesund.

Thank you.

It really depends on you : personally, I don't like the "zakouski" tours (a little bit of everything) and prefer to be free to stay longer if I enjoy the place. I can just tell you that the hoho bus in Alesund is very well organized : I used it three years ago and it was a perfect day! The first morning stop at the outdoor museum is just gorgeous, when the weather is fine. There is a very good post on the "ports of call-northern europe" forum : "Can help with Alesund" the OP is from Alesund and a wells of knowledge. (Sorry for the mistakes, english is not my mother language)

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I have booked a tour with Norway Excursions that covers Godoy and Giske as well as the Sunnemore Outdoor museum and the viewpoint at Mt Aksla, then goes around the town. It's 83 euros and lasts 4 1/2 hours. We thought we could walk around a bit after the tour. It seemed to cover most of the best sights.

I'm thinking of doing the same tour - out to the islands of Giske and Godoy, the viewpoint and the outdoor museum. That leaves several hours to spare to wander around Alesund.

I'm also torn about the Troll Road tour - but it's all day and would leave no time for me to see Alesund itslef.

Hi scluvsrain - I know! I was so conflicted about the Troll Road versus seeing Alesund, and finally decided I really want to see Alesund and the attractions right around it, and not too keen on an all day bus ride, although the Troll Road looks worth it.

I'm thinking of doing the same tour - out to the islands of Giske and Godoy, the viewpoint and the outdoor museum. That leaves several hours to spare to wander around Alesund.

I'm also torn about the Troll Road tour - but it's all day and would leave no time for me to see Alesund itslef.

Hi Sherita, When are you going to be in Norway? We're there in July-what a kick it would be to meet up-the cool after the warm in the S. Pacific! Sounded like your World Cruise was wonderful. --Susie

Hi Susie!

I'm going to be on the Prinsendam and in Alesund on July 19.

When are you there? Our cruise is the North Cape Explorer which begins in Amsterdam on July 15.

I decided to pick the 1/2 day tour out to Giske/Godoy islands and Sunehome museum, etc. over the all day long troll tour. I booked directly with Norway Excursions over the ship tour, as it was a bit cheaper and it includes the museum visit, whereas the ship's does not.

I wanted to have some time to be able to walk around Alesund, with hopes that I will return again one day and then take the troll tour. I do love a good troll..... hahaha!

Super!! My email address is the same as my screen name here. at gmail dot com.

I've signed up for the 1/2 day tour as I noted earlier in this thread - what are you guys doing? Maybe same tour? Or if not, maybe we can meet in town in the afternoon. It would be so nice to see you!

• 8 months later...

Hello Guys

I will be in Alesund on the 3rd May (Celebrity Silhouette) and I'm currently planning our activities. I would be interested to know if the HOHO bus does indeed take you up to the viewing point or does it just drop you off at the bottom of the steps leaving you to walk up or in my case crawl or get dragged. I'm a little confused as the literature I read was a little ambiguous. I know the train stops briefly there but the HOHO bus is better for us as it stops at the Sunnmore Museum also.

Please advise

Brian :D

Hello Guys

I will be in Alesund on the 3rd May (Celebrity Silhouette) and I'm currently planning our activities. I would be interested to know if the HOHO bus does indeed take you up to the viewing point or does it just drop you off at the bottom of the steps leaving you to walk up or in my case crawl or get dragged. I'm a little confused as the literature I read was a little ambiguous. I know the train stops briefly there but the HOHO bus is better for us as it stops at the Sunnmore Museum also.

Please advise

Brian :D

Yes the Hoho bus brings you on top of Mt. Aksla.