Bermuda Byway/ Heidi

crisp1

I have been looking into a land tour- her's looks good- a bit more than some other's #15 on tripadvisor- her's includes a 'picnic' lunch- just wondering what that means

She stops at a local place and picks up fish sandwiches or hamburgers,french fries and cole slaw. Then stops at a place near the water and she has ice tea and water to drink. At least it was that menu last year.

Laura

I have been looking into a land tour- her's looks good- a bit more than some other's #15 on tripadvisor- her's includes a 'picnic' lunch- just wondering what that means

Heidi is terrific. Her grandad was the last actual lighthouse keeper and she knows the island inside out. The picnic lunch is at a table alongside a marina. Local mom/pop takeout provides the locally favored fish filet on raisin bread with tartar sauce (tastes far better than it sounds). Also slaw and lemonade.

To her credit, Heidi makes the most out of a place that is not a real standout when compared to the likes of Hawaii, Fiji or most of Polynesia.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We took Heidi's tour last summer. It was our fourth trip to Bermuda and I saw parts of the island I had never seen. Heidi also gives a lot of history on the tour. The fish sandwiches were terrific and huge. My husband and I shared one and it was more than enough

Heidi's mother just died - I'm sure she'll carry on business as usual but she's hurting a bit.

And this is a PS, not to take away from Heidi's pain, but I take a bit of an issue with

"To her credit, Heidi makes the most out of a place that is not a real standout when compared to the likes of Hawaii, Fiji or most of Polynesia."

I've been to Hawaii, Fiji and most of Polynesia a number of times and I think you overstate their attractions.

Heidi's mother just died - I'm sure she'll carry on business as usual but she's hurting a bit.

And this is a PS, not to take away from Heidi's pain, but I take a bit of an issue with

"To her credit, Heidi makes the most out of a place that is not a real standout when compared to the likes of Hawaii, Fiji or most of Polynesia."

I've been to Hawaii, Fiji and most of Polynesia a number of times and I think you overstate their attractions.

Thanks for the info on Heidi- I have also been to Hi and Fr Polynesia- Bermuda is not that- duh- looking forward to spending a day with her and getting a taste of the history

I've read other recent post regarding other tour companies and issues with tour deposits & refunds. Note that Heidi works on the honor system and doesn't take a deposit... just show up with the aged-upon payment... cash only.

Hard to find companies like that anymore!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My wife doesn't eat fish- hoping there's maybe chicken or a decent burger- other than that her tour looks great

I don't eat fish either. I just let her know and she got me a really good burger.

Laura

Working on trying to set something up with her for our Breakaway cruise in July. She is not available for our first day in port. Trying to decide if it makes sense to book her for the 2nd day. There are 6 of us; we would be traveling with 2 who have already booked. My mom has chronic pain issues so I was hoping we could do a "solo" tour in case we had to return early.

Working on trying to set something up with her for our Breakaway cruise in July. She is not available for our first day in port. Trying to decide if it makes sense to book her for the 2nd day. There are 6 of us; we would be traveling with 2 who have already booked. My mom has chronic pain issues so I was hoping we could do a "solo" tour in case we had to return early.

We originally requested a tour for the second day thinking it might be better to check out the Dockyard- take is easy the first day- ship might get delayed etc. She recommended doing it the first day. I would do it the second day- hit the beach and check out the Dockyard the first day- then maybe take the ferry back over to Hamilton the third day- still plenty of time to see what you missed and still get back in time for your departure

I just read on another thread about a problem a group had with Ricky's Tour- I almost booked him to save a few bucks- so glad I didn't- looking forward to our tour- she responds to every email- sent us a pic of her, her van and we're given a map of where to meet her and said that our names will be in the front window

We took Heidi's tour on the second Bermuda day of our cruise last week. It was really great. She is a great guide and we learned a lot. The lunch comes from small businesses she knows that tourists may not notice. Very good fish sandwiches. Worth the price and I would highly recommend her.:cool:

My DH doesn't eat fish or hamburgers! We would have to skip the lunch! He does eat fries however. He will even eat hot dogs!

I'm sure she'll do her best to find something for him.

Laura

For those who have done the tour, did you feel like there was a large focus on flora/fauna? Did you feel you saw enough of St. George? (I would like to see the Unfinished Church and the sea glass beach that is in the area.) Also, was there time to visit a fort? Trying to decide if this tour will hold my teen boys' interests. They will enjoy climbing the lighthouse and the fish feeding and hearing about the history. But not as much the gardens, I think.

Trying to decide if we should book this tour or Hidden Gems. They would love Hidden Gems, but I am not sure I will feel like I learned as much/saw as much.

We could do St. George on our own, but it might turn into too much walking for older family members (unless we can it to get around).

For those who have done the tour, did you feel like there was a large focus on flora/fauna? Did you feel you saw enough of St. George? (I would like to see the Unfinished Church and the sea glass beach that is in the area.) Also, was there time to visit a fort? Trying to decide if this tour will hold my teen boys' interests. They will enjoy climbing the lighthouse and the fish feeding and hearing about the history. But not as much the gardens, I think.

Trying to decide if we should book this tour or Hidden Gems. They would love Hidden Gems, but I am not sure I will feel like I learned as much/saw as much.

We could do St. George on our own, but it might turn into too much walking for older family members (unless we can it to get around).

How many are you in your group? Heidi only takes 10- you might be able to do a 'private' tour if you pay for the unsold seats- or just tell her your preferences- maybe she can do what you want anyway- doesn't hurt to ask

She already had 2 booked for the second day of our trip (and isn't available on the first). So we can't make it a private tour. There are 4 in our group for sure, and there would be 6 if my mom is able to handle that much sitting due to her chronic pain issues. I wonder if I still might be able to make some small requests, even with another couple also on the tour.

She already had 2 booked for the second day of our trip (and isn't available on the first). So we can't make it a private tour. There are 4 in our group for sure, and there would be 6 if my mom is able to handle that much sitting due to her chronic pain issues. I wonder if I still might be able to make some small requests, even with another couple also on the tour.

If you want a private tour do a Blue Flag taxi tour.

It doesn't hurt to ask- 6 of you- let her know what you'd like to do ( for 6 )- she may reach out to the other 2 ( or cancel them/ ask if they are ok with what you want. If I operated a tour company and had 6 guaranteed with a specific itinerary vs 2 with my usual and was looking at losing one vs the other- guess which one I'd choose- 6 x $100 or 2 x $100 and hope I can fill the other seats

She isn't going to cancel them since they booked first (and shouldn't--I'd feel badly). My mom and her husband will probably stay back, as sadly, she can't do 7 hours of sitting. If we were private, we could plan to drop her back halfway through or something. We'll either book just the 4 of us for now, and I'll see if I can make some requests. Or we can do a blue flag tour that is shorter.

She isn't going to cancel them since they booked first (and shouldn't--I'd feel badly). My mom and her husband will probably stay back, as sadly, she can't do 7 hours of sitting. If we were private, we could plan to drop her back halfway through or something. We'll either book just the 4 of us for now, and I'll see if I can make some requests. Or we can do a blue flag tour that is shorter.

I'd still reach out to her- it's not 7 hours- 6 with a picnic lunch with a bit of walking- let her know what your family can/ can't do - she'll either work it out - or tell you she can't- never hurts to ask- hope it works out for you- If it were me ( Heidi) i'd try to make it work for everyone