Viking Danube Waltz Oct VS. Rhine Getaway July

Cruiseoholic000

From what past cruisers have reported both itinerary are popular, well-established itineraries and I would not really know what to choose if I had the choice. As regards ports they are both very interesting with small and large towns. If you have never been to either area Iit is indeed not easy to decide on one. The only thing that I might be able to help you with is weather. It can be hot in July on the Rhine but it will not be as if you are in Spain or Portugal. Towns can be stuffy but on the river it is nice, just go into the shade when it is hot or your air-conditioned cabin. It depends on your comfort-zone. Both sailing times you have given are in season so not much difference as regards crowds.

It will not necessarily happen but in October you can have low water which is a bit trickier on the Rhine than on the Danube as on the Rhine it effects the most scenic stretch of river. It is not possibel to determine where it might effect you on the Danube at the time of your sailing. As I said it is an unlikely scenario at the beginning of October but be aware of that sort of thing when you decide. In July both rivers are fine.

As regards ports just one more thing: on the Rhine, if you like that sort of thing, there are more castles. On the Danube Budapest is an amazing city to visit with a world famous spa culture.

notamermaid