Has anyone on here yet cruised thru the NEW locks?

BoopTennis

We did the partial transit on Princess thru the old locks about 5 years ago, they were still building the new locks. My family wants to cruise to Panama Canal and the only one I can find that fits our timing (Holiday 2018) is the old locks. The other people have not been there at all so it will be new to them. I enjoyed it the first time so much I guess I am ok with doing old locks again.

Anyone been thru the new locks that also went thru old locks? any comments or comparisons? should I care?

We did the partial transit on Princess thru the old locks about 5 years ago, they were still building the new locks. My family wants to cruise to Panama Canal and the only one I can find that fits our timing (Holiday 2018) is the old locks. The other people have not been there at all so it will be new to them. I enjoyed it the first time so much I guess I am ok with doing old locks again.

Anyone been thru the new locks that also went thru old locks? any comments or comparisons? should I care?

To date, only the Disney Dream has transited using the new locks (she used to use the old locks, but the addition of the "duck tail" on the stern required her to use the new locks this time). The next ship is the Caribbean Princess in October.

I have not transited the new locks, but have done the old locks many times on cargo ships, and I feel that the old locks are more interesting, both historically, and visually.

I went through the Panama Canal last year. Just prior to going, they opened the new locks. The new locks are mainly for larger cargo ships. If going to the canal, I would go through the old locks. It is amazing to see, what is still being used today, built over a 100 years ago. You cant even see the new locks from the old.

While I am anxious to give the new locks a go, there is so much more visual (as well as historical interests) in the old locks. First there are two side by side flights of locks at the old locks, they use electric locks locomotives (mules) to assist the ship through the locks. A Panamax ship in the old locks will take up about 95% of the space in the chamber, seeing all that steel so close to all that concrete while moving is something to see, it is also interesting to watch your ship go through locks in addition to seeing another ship in the adjacent lock. In short many more things to attract your attention.

The new locks on the other hand are just a single flight that don't use the "mules", only two tug boats, one forward and on one the stern. Good chance you won't really even see them working the ship. The larger passenger ships that have announced cruises through the new locks will scarcely take up 2/3s of the chamber. While placing a ship that size in the larger chambers is by no means a simple task... it won't be as dramatic to the passenger. Going through the new locks will be a great experience, but I think you will get a bigger bang for the buck at the old locks.

Of course the locks are just one part of the Canal, the good thing is that is the only thing that is new. Most of the rest of the transit is essentially the same. Gaillard Cut and the sail across Gatun Lake and the accompanying scenery is unchanged.