Sydney airport to cruise terminal

What is the tipping policy in Australia? If we take a taxi, are tips expected and, if so, what percent?

Most people round up, maybe to the next $5 ( our smallest note is a $5 and they are all multiples of 5) or even the nearest $1, but if you choose not to you aren't going to get chased down the street or anything. Unless you have a disability or specifically ask, your driver probably won't unload your bags either (he'll assume you're a big boy and can do it yourself. Likewise at your hotel don't expect someone to carry your bags and hold his hand out, we carry our own mostly.

Restaurants are similar, many don't tip at all, some round up, some tip around 10% (again usually rounded off).

Our currency is

Coins 5, 10, 20, 50 cents, 1 and 2 dollar coins

Notes 5, 10, 20, 50 and 100 dollars (our notes are polymers, a plastic).

Most people round up, maybe to the next $5 ( our smallest note is a $5 and they are all multiples of 5) or even the nearest $1, but if you choose not to you aren't going to get chased down the street or anything. Unless you have a disability or specifically ask, your driver probably won't unload your bags either (he'll assume you're a big boy and can do it yourself. Likewise at your hotel don't expect someone to carry your bags and hold his hand out, we carry our own mostly.

Restaurants are similar, many don't tip at all, some round up, some tip around 10% (again usually rounded off).

Our currency is

Coins 5, 10, 20, 50 cents, 1 and 2 dollar coins

Notes 5, 10, 20, 50 and 100 dollars (our notes are polymers, a plastic).

Thank you so much. This is exactly the information we needed. We are used to tipping in the U.S. (usually 20%) but we like to know what the customs are in the countries we visit.

Thank you so much. This is exactly the information we needed. We are used to tipping in the U.S. (usually 20%) but we like to know what the customs are in the countries we visit.

If you give someone a bigger tip they are unlikely to say No.

My husband & I flew to Sydney two years ago, so a reminder for those flying from the United States, be sure you book a minimum of 2 Days before your planned arrival to Sydney. Example if you wish to arrive on April 15th, book you flights on the 12/13th if from the West Coast or a day earlier if flying from the FL etc. From LAX it is a 15 hour flight non stop.

Very good point - you can lose up to a whole day travelling from US West Coast to Australia (because of the international date line). Once we traveled from Hawaii back to Sydney after a cruise, leaving at 9.00 am and that was the end of my DH's birthday because of crossing the international dateline :)

On the other hand, we have often left Sydney and arrived in LAX before we left! lol

I agree with other posters about transport from Sydney Airport to the Overseas Passenger terminal:

if 2 or less pax, we use the train - you can see the ship from the train and I love that!!!!

if more pax, we take a taxi (reliable and have never been scammed).

We sometimes drive to Sydney for a cruise, and really enjoy the experience of parking under the Sydney Opera House for a cheap price - drive in, walk around Circular Quay and hop onto the ship :) And when we get off the ship it is so great to do the reverse. (this needs to be prebooked as early as possible for the best price - cruise parking)

Edited by lucymorgan

Very good point - you can lose up to a whole day travelling from US West Coast to Australia (because of the international date line). Once we traveled from Hawaii back to Sydney after a cruise, leaving at 9.00 am and that was the end of my DH's birthday because of crossing the international dateline :)

On the other hand, we have often left Sydney and arrived in LAX before we left! lol

I agree with other posters about transport from Sydney Airport to the Overseas Passenger terminal:

if 2 or less pax, we use the train - you can see the ship from the train and I love that!!!!

if more pax, we take a taxi (reliable and have never been scammed).

We sometimes drive to Sydney for a cruise, and really enjoy the experience of parking under the Sydney Opera House for a cheap price - drive in, walk around Circular Quay and hop onto the ship :) And when we get off the ship it is so great to do the reverse. (this needs to be prebooked as early as possible for the best price - cruise parking)

Two other parking options

1. Emu blue at the airport, train to Circular Quay, last year 34 days, under $200. (Plus $17 each way for the train).

2. The Domain $100 per week.

Opera House looks to have put their price up to $25 a day.

So it all comes down to cruise length.

Two other parking options

1. Emu blue at the airport, train to Circular Quay, last year 34 days, under $200. (Plus $17 each way for the train).

2. The Domain $100 per week.

Opera House looks to have put their price up to $25 a day.

So it all comes down to cruise length.

I Agree.

+ factoring in convenience and cab or train fares.

I also look out for promotions from the parking companies :)

• 5 months later...