From Shanghai to Baoshan cruise terminal

jdvmd

Leaving on the Mariner of the Seas July 18 from Shanghai (Baoshan). What is the best way to get to the port from the Le Royal Meridien Shanghai. On the return, we are flying out that day from PVG to Hong Kong. I looked at Viator and there is a transfer offered from Baoshan to PVG but it will cost more than $275 USD for three people with three carryon bags.

Aside from private transfer, your other choices are taxi, or public transport (train, then bus or short taxi trip). All comes down to what you prefer. Either would be much cheaper than the price you were quoted - though without as many frills. Train is fine if you want to experience as the locals do though you'll have to navigate buying a ticket and moving luggage to/from. Taxi if you want a better comfort compromise.

Aside from private transfer, your other choices are taxi, or public transport (train, then bus or short taxi trip). All comes down to what you prefer. Either would be much cheaper than the price you were quoted - though without as many frills. Train is fine if you want to experience as the locals do though you'll have to navigate buying a ticket and moving luggage to/from. Taxi if you want a better comfort compromise.

Thanks for your reply. How much would the other options roughly cost?

Public transport is cheap; it is just a few dollars. Taxis are cheap too - should be under $25 from the city.

That's unbelievable! Cannot understand why Viator is charging so much.

I took taxi both ways. There are too many of them and so cheap that I don't remember probably less than 180 the local money. Ask your hotel to call a cab for you. In China they have the local version of uber. In the terminal they are lots but you have to wait. I did wait for 30 minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Uber is out of China & Macau, illegal in Hong Kong, replaced by Chinese "Uber" known as "DiDi" (among other local ride services) ... you guess it, the App is in Chinese and payment must be linked to a credit card issued by an approved Chinese bank. For all practical purposes, not an option for 97.5% of the CC'ers calling on these ports.

Stick with HST/rails and bus, or, taxis - Apps like Google Translate can be used offline (download the simplified Chinese language ahead) in addition to having the addresses written out or printed and/or store the related images/pages/pdf on mobile devices to show to the taxi driver ... before leaving for your cruise.

Tripadvisor (CC's counterpart) has plenty of practical information for popular cities like PVG and PEK.

That's unbelievable! Cannot understand why Viator is charging so much.

Just a guess, but partly it would be using a more expensive limo-like (private car) service, and also to Western standard e.g. drivers that speak English, probably bottled water in the car, probably a uniform. So as a premium market they would charge more than as a taxi where you don't get any of that and as mentioned above, they almost certainly won't speak/read English.

You get around it by having your doorman/concierge call the taxi and have a backup translation, but if it's booked through Viator, they have to provide a standard where you don't get surprised by a driver who can't speak your language, and where things look 'professional,' not subpar.

Makes sense. I can certainly do without all those things to save some money.

I am more concerned about the trip back from the port to Shanghai Pudong International. Will plan on printing out the address in Mandarin.