Best Souvenirs

I saw on another post that woolen items had excellent prices in Estonia. Anything else I should look for, besides the Russian nesting dolls? I have a 5 y/o granddaughter and would love to get her a Dutch hat and a sweater.

Any suggestions?

Sue

I purchased sweaters in Stockholm, Bergen and Tallinn (at the sweater wall). The one from Tallinn was by far the least expensive (60 euros). In Helsinki, you can buy all kinds of items made from reindeer antlers. Your granddaughter might like a dala horse from Stockholm. They are handcrafted wooden horses with various designs painted on them. They're not a toy and can be pricey. I purchased one for my nephew (he's 2) and now I have a niece--guess I have to go back to Sweden to get her one too!

• 2 weeks later...

There was a stall in the shops by the pier in Tallinn that had awesome felted wool hats. They had ears, flowers, etc. Very whimsical. I bought one that has goat ears and horns. My family was mortified! I love it. I also found a cute, fluffy sheep - wooden head and legs and lots of wool fluff for the body. It would be great for a small child.

There was a stall in the shops by the pier in Tallinn that had awesome felted wool hats. They had ears, flowers, etc. Very whimsical. I bought one that has goat ears and horns. My family was mortified! I love it. I also found a cute, fluffy sheep - wooden head and legs and lots of wool fluff for the body. It would be great for a small child.

You sound like a lot of fun!

My souvenir ideas aren't ideal for a 5 year old, but I'll offer them in case you'd consider putting something away till she's older and/or you want to buy for someone else (i.e. you :)).

Tallinn:

Linen

Russia:

Faberge Eggs (if yes, then ensure you buy one with the mark inside. Those are made in the factory in Moscow and, I'm told, are of better quality than the non-marked ones, which possibly come from outside Russia.).

Malachite and amber, if you want to buy jewellery.

Berlin:

The Ampelmann Store

Buddy Bears

Helsinki:

I picked up a book called, "Finnish Nightmares". It's a short, comic-style book that pokes fun at the Finns' supposed reserved nature. I bought it because I thought it was funny and could have just as easily been named "Canadian Nightmares". :)

Edited by EllieR