Edinburgh/South Queensferry in August

Spouse and I have reserved a private city tour in Edinburgh in August. We will be there during Fringe Festival and are expecting crowds. Our tour guide will pick us up in South Queensferry and take us on a 2- 21/2 hour tour. Following the tour we will spend a few hours on our own exploring . My concern is how we get back to the ship in the later afternoon. Will we have a problem getting a cab to take us back to South Queensferry during such a busy time? Should I schedule/reserve a private car transfer in advance? We prefer a car over train since spouse has limited mobility and uses a standard wheelchair.

Spouse and I have reserved a private city tour in Edinburgh in August. We will be there during Fringe Festival and are expecting crowds. Our tour guide will pick us up in South Queensferry and take us on a 2- 21/2 hour tour. Following the tour we will spend a few hours on our own exploring . My concern is how we get back to the ship in the later afternoon. Will we have a problem getting a cab to take us back to South Queensferry during such a busy time? Should I schedule/reserve a private car transfer in advance? We prefer a car over train since spouse has limited mobility and uses a standard wheelchair.

I think you've made the right decision in having a private city tour as your spouse is wheelchair bound and I recommend you arrange a private ire to take you back. You could do this within a short time of when you'll go back. Two numbers I usually suggest are:

0131-555-5555- ww.epch.cab or

0131- 777-7777- http://www.capitalcarsscotland.co.uk

They're both big companies with lots of vehicles. You can also just flag down a black cab in the street though at that time of year it might not be that easy.

Will you be pushing your partner's wheelchair around when you fishes your tour? I have to say Edinburgh is quite hilly especially between the Old Town and New Town so it might not be that easy depending on your capabilities. Also I would say the Royal Mile would be very difficult to navigate in a wheel-chair because of the huge crowds at that time of year. Have you had any thoughts on what you'd like to see and I could maybe suggest an accessible route

Thank you for your response, and the numbers for the car hire. We are considering Palace of Holyroodhouse (as I've read it is more accessible than the Castle) or possibly the National Museum of Scotland. Other than that we will likely just have lunch and shop or people-watch for a bit. I don't imagine we will spend much time on the Royal Mile because I will indeed be pushing a wheelchair. We scheduled our city tour for first thing in the morning with the hopes we would get a better sense of where we would like to spend the afternoon. Our philosophy is to enjoy what we can and not fret over the things we cannot do!

All-the-sevens cars (0131 777 7777) are much easier for people of limited mobility to get in and out of, unless a wheelchair taxi is used. Regular black cabs are not so easy to get in and out of.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The Palace of Holyrood, whilst in itself is accessible, bear in mind it is at the very bottom of The Royal Mile (the road from the Palace to the Castle is what forms The Royal Mile), and it is steep uphill back to the City Centre from there. If you wish to visit, I suggest a Taxi to and from there.