Tracy Arm Fjord 2017 Status

atao

Have any ships made it into Tracy Arm Fjord yet this 2017 season? I saw a couple photos where the Carnival Legend MAY have gotten in recently? We're cruising this area on the 27th of June and booked the Tracy Arm Fjord and Glacier Explorer excursion (where you get off the big cruise ship to a smaller ship) but wanted to how high are chances are to seeing this area. Many ships are being diverted to Endicott Arm.

Thanks!

I've been watching the comings and goings in Tracy Arm and Endicott Arm. I have yet to see a cruise ship go up Tracy Arm, they all go up into Endicott Arm. I have seen a number of smaller boats go up into Tracy Arm. It might be soon that the big cruise ship go up into Tracy Arm.

We were there last week but on the Adventure Bound small boat and went all the way to Sawyer. We did see a cruise ship on it's way out but don't know how far they were able to get.

what ship???

Have any ships made it into Tracy Arm Fjord yet this 2017 season? I saw a couple photos where the Carnival Legend MAY have gotten in recently? We're cruising this area on the 27th of June and booked the Tracy Arm Fjord and Glacier Explorer excursion (where you get off the big cruise ship to a smaller ship) but wanted to how high are chances are to seeing this area. Many ships are being diverted to Endicott Arm.

Thanks!

I made it all the way to Sawyer Glacier on a 42-passenger Allen Marine vessel but could not get to South Sawyer Glacier two weeks ago. We passed many ice flows with harbor seals and pups on top. A cruise ship would definitely disturb this Also, our cruise ship could not get to Hopkins Glacier because of the harbor seals with pups. As soon as the seals with pups were spotted, the park rangers had the ship go into reverse and back slowly out to protect the seals. The Naturalist on board kept the passengers well informed and pointed out the seals as we reversed.

Bottom line is not always the ice is the cause but the ice flow residents when determining if large cruise ships can enter Tracy Arm or not.

Also, our cruise ship could not get to Hopkins Glacier because of the harbor seals with pups. As soon as the seals with pups were spotted, the park rangers had the ship go into reverse and back slowly out to protect the seals. The Naturalist on board kept the passengers well informed and pointed out the seals as we reversed.

for years- cruise ships have never been able to sail the John Hopkins Inlet, after the turn past, Lamplugh Glacier, after 5-1. it doesn't open until 9-1

This year on the Coral Princess 5/13 & 5/20 sailings we sailed up to the entrance to John Hopkins inlet for a spectacular view (at least on the first week). I was surprised as you say we had always turned around at Lamplugh except late in the season.

This year on the Coral Princess 5/13 & 5/20 sailings we sailed up to the entrance to John Hopkins inlet for a spectacular view (at least on the first week). I was surprised as you say we had always turned around at Lamplugh except late in the season.

No, I said the "turn" AFTER Lamplugh Glacier up the John Hopkins Inlet to the glacier. It has been common, for the announcement- you are 5 miles away from the John Hopkins Glacier from the park service ranger. . Some cruises don't even make it that far. The 5 miles of the Inlet is what is closed- which is after the left hand turn after Lamplugh.

• 1 month later...

Was curious to see what the status of Tracy Arm has been recently for cruise ships? Heading up next week on the 8/18 Celebrity Solstice sailing.... booked the morning excursion on the small boat via Celebrity excursion to increase our chance of seeing a glacier if the cruise ship can't navigate it due to ice flow. Really hoping to get to see either Tracy Arm or Endicott? Any scoop? Thanks!

Do the Tracy Arm ships try to actually get up to the Glacier? Is that possible, to see the Glacier from the cruise ship? If so and you booked the small boat excursion from the ship, where do you go from there?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Do the Tracy Arm ships try to actually get up to the Glacier? Is that possible, to see the Glacier from the cruise ship? If so and you booked the small boat excursion from the ship, where do you go from there?

I cannot answer your question about a small boat excursion. The Amsterdam was able to sail as close to the Glacier as the Captain and Pilot deemed safe. We had a good view of the Glacier. It was not as good of a view as we had of Hubbard Glacier.

As a "routine" with some cruise ships- the turn around is at Sawyer Island. A lot fewer sail further. From this point the view is distant and partial.

Was curious to see what the status of Tracy Arm has been recently for cruise ships? Heading up next week on the 8/18 Celebrity Solstice sailing.... booked the morning excursion on the small boat via Celebrity excursion to increase our chance of seeing a glacier if the cruise ship can't navigate it due to ice flow. Really hoping to get to see either Tracy Arm or Endicott? Any scoop? Thanks!

I've been watching the Solstice the past few weeks and it's gone up Endicott Arm. We leave tomorrow on the Solstice and will keep you posted.

Just got off Celebrity Solstice (8/4 cruise). We went to Endicott instead of Tracy Arm. You actually get much closer to Dawes Glacier (Endicott Arm) than you can at Sawyer glacier (Tracy Arm). Both fjords are beautiful.