5 years since my last RCI cruise and wow how the standard has dropped!!!!!

For the last 5 years ive enjoyed a certain standard of cruising from other cruise lines, I guess I expected the same standard from RCI and when I realised how much it had changed in the 5 years since I had last sailed with them , yes I was disappointed . For me having a meal in a nice restaurant where there is a dress code but its not enforced does effect my over all experience especially formal night , If people want to wear shorts and flip flops they should choose the buffet.

Many a folk are obviously still happy with RCI but for me I think they no longer fit my criteria for a holiday.

Their lack of enforcement does NOT affect your cruise. Your insistence to be put off by others, is what affects the enjoyment of your cruise. You can choose not to be bothered by what other people are wearing... there is no rule that you must look at them. :')

Their lack of enforcement does NOT affect your cruise. Your insistence to be put off by others, is what affects the enjoyment of your cruise. You can choose not to be bothered by what other people are wearing... there is no rule that you must look at them. :')

you may feel it would not effect your cruise ,

however a drop in standards does and did effect my enjoyment of the cruise , part of the appeal of cruising to me is the excitement and glamour of Formal night and on every cruise up until now it had been treated as a special night , so to see shorts and flip flops allowed in the evening dinner was a disappointment . And bikini clad ladies sat on bar stools during the evening in the Schooner bar was not what I would expect either.

every one is entitled to their opinion , but why have a dress code but not enforce it ??

you may feel it would not effect your cruise ,

however a drop in standards does and did effect my enjoyment of the cruise , part of the appeal of cruising to me is the excitement and glamour of Formal night and on every cruise up until now it had been treated as a special night , so to see shorts and flip flops allowed in the evening dinner was a disappointment . And bikini clad ladies sat on bar stools during the evening in the Schooner bar was not what I would expect either.

every one is entitled to their opinion , but why have a dress code but not enforce it ??

"Glamour" has been gone from formal nights for a long time.

I agree about bikinis in the Schooner Bar, though.

Their lack of enforcement does NOT affect your cruise. Your insistence to be put off by others, is what affects the enjoyment of your cruise.
This is a very good point. We cannot control what others do but we can control how we respond, and we can take responsibility for our own feelings.

This message may have been entered via voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

Been cruising since late 70's so you can imagine the differences. However, important factor to consider is not only basic economics but basic sociatal changes. Love some, others not so much. Still it's a little less to cruise now. You want the bells and whistles? Why the boutique lines were created, and why we mostly sail them. Safe journeys.

Food and ice sculptures- while they are nice to look at- they are a complete waste. Can't eat the food, and the ice melts quickly.

Once was more than enough to see that.

(and while not mentioned in the OP- I feel the same way about the midnight buffet- total waste of food.)

I don't go searching out for any of that when I'm home or on any other vacations, as I see it as so wasteful that it's a major turn off.

As for the "dress standard"- I want to look the way I want to look, regardless of what others dress. So I honestly don't care that I have a really nice suit and tie when someone else is in ripped shorts and flip flops. I feel good dressed up and that's all that matters. On the flip side, if I had a very busy day doing something, and I don't have the energy to dress up, I won't (or if I'm just so hot from being outside that I need shorts and flip flops). IMHO, we spend FAR too much effort worrying about other people on the ship. I'm there for MY vacation, not to officiate yours.

I'm confused by the show issue, though. Just got off a 4 night cruise on the tiny little Empress of the seas- and there were two full production shows.... One of them was brand new and custom to the Empress. So....

"Glamour" has been gone from formal nights for a long time.

I agree about bikinis in the Schooner Bar, though.

For the last 5 years each cruise ive taken has had plenty of Glamour on Formal nights and other nights too , (other cruise lines not RCI) I guess I was expecting the same from RCI but it seems that yes RCI has lost its glamour

For the last 5 years each cruise ive taken has had plenty of Glamour on Formal nights and other nights too , (other cruise lines not RCI) I guess I was expecting the same from RCI but it seems that yes RCI has lost its glamour

You say that as if it's some kind of problem.

I'm fine with it. Glamour is overrated- it's just appearances.

You say that as if it's some kind of problem. I'm fine with it. Glamour is overrated- it's just appearances.
That's very interesting. How much of the legacy amenities of cruising were, as you say, appearances, glamour, etc.? So much of what attracts new folks to cruises these days seem to be substantial investments of capital: Big screens, water slides, show kitchens, etc. By contrast, requiring a dress code and not requiring one represents no cost difference to the cruise line.

As a "Loyal to Royal" passenger.... I will say that I have noticed some decline in the "atmosphere" of the cruise. I agree with the member who said "you make what you will of your dining" - and I agree, I get dressed up really nicely for formal nights, and look forward to "date" night with my husband. I don't care what others around me dress like. However! I will say that you do get what you pay for.... we are constantly bargain hunting for the best deal, and that means that we've gone "cheap" and not necessarily "less expensive" - there is a difference. I really hope that RCI can stay "less expensive" and do what they can to police and get rid of the "cheap" travelers.... but I don't hold my breath. Maybe by the rest of us holding a higher standard, we'll recognize each other, and just enjoy our vacations and not bash too much.

I'm "not" sure what "exactly" you're trying to say here, but "I" think it's "on" the right track.

RCI already does cooking demos without the need for an elaborate set up - I don't see them copying what HAL is doing.
I would suggest that Holland America perhaps copied what Royal Caribbean did previously, and brought it to a higher level, by that's neither here nor there. This replacement of legacy amenities with more modern amenities started long ago. 2009:
The sad state of affairs happens because RCI does not enforce any dress code on formal (or other nights) other than no shorts.
I'm sure if we dug back further we'd find that erosion of legacy amenities of cruising goes back even further than that.

It's interesting to talk about value and lowered offerings.

I texted my former co-worker. He said that in the early 90s they were spending $5,000++ for interior room cruises (granted this was coming from Ohio... although they drove to Florida... they had to go in more peak seasons, so it was more expensive) and would pound lobsters like they were glasses of water on a hot day.

He bought a tux to wear each cruise and she wore ball gowns.

https://www.bls.gov/data/inflation_calculator.htm

$5,000 in the early 90s = about $8,500 now.

That didn't include excursions or drinks. You could sail for a month on that money today in an interior room.

He said that in the early 90s they were spending $5,000++ for interior room cruises ... You could sail for a month on that money today in an interior room.
And keep in mind that that was before RCL acquired Celebrity and started moving toward a model with Royal Caribbean becoming the more affordable option on average and Celebrity serving up the more upscale experience on average.

That's very interesting. How much of the legacy amenities of cruising were, as you say, appearances, glamour, etc.? So much of what attracts new folks to cruises these days seem to be substantial investments of capital: Big screens, water slides, show kitchens, etc. By contrast, requiring a dress code and not requiring one represents no cost difference to the cruise line.

How are big screens, water slides, and the kitchen thing glamorous?

Those are things you interact with- play on, view, or eat. That IS appealing to more people than the appeal to dress up.

That actually makes sense. Lose a handful of people who want the old school formal night with full cocktail dresses and tuxes and gain a huge amount of people who want more things to do. Seems obvious.

Those are things you interact with- play on, view, or eat. That IS appealing to more people than the appeal to dress up.

That actually makes sense. Lose a handful of people who want the old school formal night with full cocktail dresses and tuxes and gain a huge amount of people who want more things to do. Seems obvious.

There's no viable explanation or reasoning why cruise lines can't have tradition along with innovation...yet...one tends to be sacrificed in favor of the other in some cases.

Formal nights are NOT any form of obstruction to having a great time on a cruise, rather, people can easily opt out to alternative dining those evenings if they choose to do so.

It's difficult to understand why issues like this are worthy of such passionate posts one way or the other.

I said the opposite. Those are real capital investments, not "appearances".

I agree completely.

To me as well. (y)

There's no viable explanation or reasoning why cruise lines can't have tradition along with innovation...yet...one tends to be sacrificed in favor of the other in some cases.
There is no reason why they "can't have" - rather there is a reason why they "don't require" - because enough of the people they're trying to attract don't want to be beholden to such rules.

It's difficult to understand why issues like this are worthy of such passionate posts one way or the other.
Many people have excessively passionate feelings for their preferred cruise line and therefore have rather negative and visceral reactions to the loss of any aspect of what they prefer. They feel that their past purchases have earned them some deference from the cruise line on an on-going basis, and that both the cruise line and the cruise line's future passengers should all support those legacy aspects of cruising regardless of their own preferences. Edited by bUU

I, for one, enjoy the slides, rock climbing walls, and whatever else they can put on a ship. I also like dressing in a suit and tie, or a sport jacket on formal nights. These are my choices.I don't go on HAL or any cruise to learn how to cook. Even HAL is less formal now, as is Princes and Celebrity. I think maybe Cunard might be a good place for the clothes police to go on. I don't care what anybody else wears. That's their choice, and I'm not about to tell them they are dressed wrong. I'm 75 years old, and have been cruising for over 30 years, and still love it.

For the last 5 years ive enjoyed a certain standard of cruising from other cruise lines, I guess I expected the same standard from RCI and when I realised how much it had changed in the 5 years since I had last sailed with them , yes I was disappointed . For me having a meal in a nice restaurant where there is a dress code but its not enforced does effect my over all experience especially formal night , If people want to wear shorts and flip flops they should choose the buffet.

Many a folk are obviously still happy with RCI but for me I think they no longer fit my criteria for a holiday.

We began cruising in 2004....and it still had the 'formal air' or 'boat prom' (cute expression) style much more We were on that cruise with 3 other couples and we 'dressed up on the formal nights'. Over the years since, sometimes we have dressed up more and at other times kept it more casual. But how the people at the table next to me dressed had no impact on how I enjoyed my dinner.

We cruise to get away from the stress of our business lives and that doesn't necessarily have to include 'boat prom'/formal. I won't walk into any restaurant on land in a bathing suit so I wouldn't do it on a ship. I would not go out to a bar with friends and do it for an evening, so I would not sit in Schooners or Boleros in a bathing suit. But everyone is on there own vacation. There should be some minimum standards of dress for 'after 6pm' on a ship. In our personal experience, I believe most people do dress just fine....you ALWAYS have the exception. It still won't ruin my experience.

Cruising to us is like going to camp for a week....with fun things to do....we go to have a fun time....and Royal seems to give it to us.

Seems as if this all boils down to the OP being upset because the rest of the cruise ship passengers don't dress the way she wants them to. The rest? Entertainment is better. Activities are better. Ships are safer. I could go on and on, but that's the meat of it.

Again, I can't seem to wrap my arms around why some seem to want to dictate to others how to dress. Makes no sense to me.

Seems as if this all boils down to the OP being upset because the rest of the cruise ship passengers don't dress the way she wants them to. The rest? Entertainment is better. Activities are better. Ships are safer. I could go on and on, but that's the meat of it.

Again, I can't seem to wrap my arms around why some seem to want to dictate to others how to dress. Makes no sense to me.

My original post was about a noticeable change in standards since my last RCI 5 years ago, and yes I did notice a huge change in the dress of passengers and this surprised me , as did the very poor entertainment on offer , drop in food standards and other things too . I wanted to know if this was now standard on RCI .

Since I started cruising 8 years ago I have enjoyed A certain standard of on board experience which unfortunately fell below what I had expected of RCI . I will stick with the other lines Ive sailed with in the future and just hope standards on these dont go the same way .