Rotterdam or Amsterdam-Newbies to both-Thoughts?

Most tourists go to Amsterdam, but realise you need at least 1 1/2 hour each way to get there. Best is by train to avoid possible traffic problems on the way back. Maybe your cruiseline offers a trip by coach to to the town by yourself, check that.

But why not go to Delft, a charming old city, not too far from Rotterdam, easy to do by one of the freqeunt trains.

Delft: https://www.delft.com/

Rotterdam is a new city as the hard was bombed during WWII, so very different then Delft and Amsterdam.

Of course you can make a harbour tour by ship, maybe visit Euromast for a terrific view over town, a visit to more or less the only old section in town Delfshaven.

Rotterdam: https://rotterdam.info/

I didn't find much to see in Rotterdam when we were there on a land trip. I love Amsterdam - been there both from a ship and by land trip and wouldn't hesitate to return. If you are doing this on your own I would agree with Ine that finding a town easier and quicker to get to from Rotterdam would be a much less stressful day, thus more enjoyable. However, if you find a private tour that could take you to Amsterdam and to the places you want to see, that would definitely be doable.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We spent several days in Rotterdam and enjoyed the modern art museum, the harbour area and a trip to Kinderdijk. We also easily visited The Hague which is a beautiful city and Delft. So lots of choices. We did it all easily by public transport which is very good. I would visit The Hague in the morning with an afternoon stop in Delft on the return or if you want an easy day take a boat to Kinderdikj to see the windmills. Very relaxing and the boats leave near the dock. Leave Amsterdam for another time.