Internet access throughout the Baltics

This is a long shot but is there a prepaid sim from some company that allows internet access on your phone throughout the Baltics? I think it would be extremely handy to have the ability to look stuff up on demand as well as use Google maps in certain ports.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

This is a long shot but is there a prepaid sim from some company that allows internet access on your phone throughout the Baltics? I think it would be extremely handy to have the ability to look stuff up on demand as well as use Google maps in certain ports.

I don't know of any sim that covers all the Baltic countries but I have used airbaltic (their roaming charges are quite reasonable and cover all of the Baltics - for example, 10 minutes of usage in Saint Petersburg costs 4).

http://airbalticcard.com/

I also use whatsapp - allows free international calls/texts thru wifi.

If you want to surf like a local, I believe that you would need a sim from each country. However, if someone out there knows of a global sim card, I would be very interested. :)

We plan on using the Verizon TravelPass for $10 a day I can use my phone just like I was home in most countries we will be in except Russia

Sent from my STV100-2 using Tapatalk

Verizon is also my provider. Is the $10 per day charged only if you use your phone or it is a daily charge regardless of whether or not you use your phone? I ask only because I sometimes stay up to 3 months in Europe at a time and a $10 per day flat fee would seriously add up if I am not using my phone except for freebies through wifi. $10 per day is a great price if only charged when using your phone - especially for cruises because we are in different ports each day & the cruise duration is generally pretty short. Will have to check-out the option at verizon. Thanks!

Verizon is also my provider. Is the $10 per day charged only if you use your phone or it is a daily charge regardless of whether or not you use your phone? I ask only because I sometimes stay up to 3 months in Europe at a time and a $10 per day flat fee would seriously add up if I am not using my phone except for freebies through wifi. $10 per day is a great price if only charged when using your phone - especially for cruises because we are in different ports each day & the cruise duration is generally pretty short. Will have to check-out the option at verizon. Thanks!

The $10 a day is only when you use your phone, it is not a daily charge regardless of whether or not you us your phone. Using the phone activates the 24 hour pass. A good option on a cruise, some days you won't use it for sure, like sea days as it will only be good in ports. For a 3 months stay local sim cards are the best.

I'm with Virgin, which offers travel passes of varying GBs/minutes for all of the Baltic countries (most fall within zone 1, which is least expensive).

Having written that, if you're willing/able to get your surfing done at certain times, most of the ports we visited this year had free wifi at the terminals (Tallinn, Warnemunde, Copenhagen, Oslo, Nynashamn, Helsinki). Various tourist sites had free wifi as well, so you might be able to do what you need by paying attention to hot spots as you move around (i.e. Nobel Prize Museum in Stockholm, train between Nynashamn and Stockholm, Opera House and Nobel Peace Prize Museum in Oslo, the shopping malls in Helsinki). The only exception we found was Russia, which did not have wifi at the terminal nor did we run across many reliable hot spots (free wifi exists in St. Petersburg, but I always had a hard time connecting). Just something to keep in mind if you cannot find what you're looking for.

I just came back from a Baltic cruise. I have T-Mobile & had coverage in every port. My plan includes free unlimited text & data & calls are 20 cents a minute. I supplemented with an internet package on board & was connected the entire time. Worked perfectly.

• 4 weeks later...
We plan on using the Verizon TravelPass for $10 a day I can use my phone just like I was home in most countries we will be in except Russia

Just a +1 - I've used Verizon's TravelPass several times in Europe. It's $10 for each new 24-hour interval when using cellular services (and $0 any day the phone is off [or on WiFi only]). ...No surprises on the bill.

Verizon also sends you a free text when your 24 hours are activated, and also (helpfully) one maybe an hour before they are about to end, so you can use your services carefully and always know when you are about to trigger a 10 fee. This worked great in London and Norway (it wasn't available 3 years ago when I took a Baltic cruise)

I have Verizon too. We were only going to activate the travel pass on my husband's phone but the rep suggested we do it on my phone too. In case of an emergency it will only be $10 versus a potential hundreds of dollars. So from listening to her, I think anyone with Verizon should sign up for it because if you don't use it there is $0 charge

Does anyone know if A5T has a similar product? I have previously used their international package, but their data was low.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If you meant to type AT&T, they do have $10 international travel passes that work the same way.

http://www.onesimcard.com

In SPB the tour buses had wifi, enough for messages and facebook, not sure wether you could download a film. Also found the HOHO buses also had wifi. Several museums also had free wifi. Warnemunde tourist office had free wifi.

We have a T-mobile Simple Choice plan that allows us free text and $0.20/min calls. Most of the terminals have free wifi hotspots, including the vans of SPB Tours.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Forums mobile app

Same here. We're doing a Baltic cruise next May and already checked - TMo offers at least 3G data services as part of the plan in every stop as well. No extra fees, just part of the plan. Love TMo.

T-Mobile works just about everywhere in the Baltics and its fast. That is because T-Mobile is owned by the largest German cell phone company. Another nice thing is that there is no additional fees for using T-Mobile data or text in Europe. They do have a small 20 cent per minute fee for phone calls. As to Data, whatever you have for data in your US plan....its simply the same in Europe. Consider that using Verizon for a month would cost about $300.....but T-Mobile would be Zero.

Hank

T-Mobile works just about everywhere in the Baltics and its fast. That is because T-Mobile is owned by the largest German cell phone company. Another nice thing is that there is no additional fees for using T-Mobile data or text in Europe. They do have a small 20 cent per minute fee for phone calls. As to Data, whatever you have for data in your US plan....its simply the same in Europe. Consider that using Verizon for a month would cost about $300.....but T-Mobile would be Zero.

Hank

To bad T-Mobile doesn't work well in the US. Oh well.

To bad T-Mobile doesn't work well in the US. Oh well.

We live in the Northeast USA...and have no problem using T-Mobile. Have heard their coverage is not so good in some parts of the USA....but have yet to find the place. T-Mobile has quietly grown to be the 3rd largest carrier in the USA and they continue to upgrade their systems to where we nearly always get a LTE connection.

Hank