Vancouver Hotels

dartnut

We stayed at Hotel Blu which was very nice. They had a free shuttle to Canada Place. Our room wasn't quite ready when we got there so after grabbing lunch close by and returning an hour later my husband jokingly commented, "that gets us an upgrade, right? Wink wink." What do you know, as she hands us our rooms keys she said, "I think you'll like your room. Wink wink" and it was a really fun lofted suite which was certainly an upgrade.

It was close to a HoHo trolley stop, the Capilano Suspension Bridge shuttle and a quick walk to an Aquabus to Granville Island and if we hadn't been so tired it would have been a doable walk to the Gastown area.

As mentioned "reasonable" is a not a number and has a wide range of options.

Depends what that means to you?

I stayed at the Ramada in Gastown for example is a budget hotel that was my preference. :)

AirBnB is kinda risky with the way the city may be targeting them in the coming weeks/months.

This is interesting. I recently booked there for next May. It was clear from some of the listings that the town is not entirely Airbnb friendly. One listing, it was clearly illegal in that building's rules. I have just started using Airbnb and enjoy the experience so much I try to use it wherever I can.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We stayed at Coast Coal Harbour hotel July 2nd. Very nice. Reasonable price however I booked way in advance (January to be exact). Ate by the waterfront that night at Tap Room I think. Delicious food and wine!! Walked to Canada Place even with our luggage. Fairly easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Without knowing your personal definition of 'reasonable' I can only recommend the YWCA Hotel - which is a bargain by any standard. It's just around the corner from Blu mentioned above (and the Hampton Inn), so a great location, and the only cheaper hotels anywhere in the region are either total fleapits or at best extremely minimalist, no-elevator-no-AC-no-frills. YWCA also offers large fully-equipped kitchens and laundry rooms so you can save funds and eat exactly what you want for brekky, make packed lunches, or even prep and cook a meal for a large family just for the cost of ingredients from a nearby supermarket. Pricing is by blocks of dates too, so you always know what you're getting into - highest price for a 2 person en suite 'regular hotel room' runs ~$160 incl all taxes & fees in high season, with shared bathrooms lopping even more off that price.

Depending when you're coming, AirBnB might be legal (and more to the point, the listings will then be verified as safe!) but right now the exact terms of the licensing/inspections/types of listings allowed are still being hashed out. Odds are good that most listings in the downtown core will remain illegal as many condo buildings have already brought in specific bylaws against short-term rentals. A room inside a primary residence will almost certainly be legalized OTOH, as will someone temporarily renting their entire primary residence - but any Host with multiple listings is pretty much 100% going to remain illegal and actually get shut down since there will be dedicated enforcement funding.

Thanks everyone for your input, we finally settled on a Richmond hotel with a free airport shuttle and a $14 shuttle to the port. As we are flying in, this seemed to be a good option.

Sent from my iPad using Forums