MyVikingJourney site hacked?

OneSixtyToOne

After having confirmed no problem with all my devices, I called Vikingrivercruise about their myVikingJourney website. The rep told me their system is currently down. I felt much relieved upon hearing her response, because it means I need not search any more about the problem of signing onto the website. In other words, there are no problems from my end.

Prior to calling Viking, I found online some of the answers. It is impossible for people outside of my home to hack into my IP address, unlike what the so called "Apple rep" claimed. Furthermore, after I turn off the router (in effect resetting it), a new IP address will be assigned to me.

To be extra cautious, I turned off my router, and then turned it back on. I changed the password to my email address. I checked my computer (which I rarely use for online surfing and have installed antivirus protection software), and confirmed no slowing online activities. The only vulnerable thing remaining is myVikingJourney account. I need to change my password. Before the system comes back on, I hope Viking would make us all verify our identity before letting us access our accounts. This way, any hackers who previously succeeded to get my login and password information would not be able to access my personal data.

I am a bit worried, because I typed in my login ID and password and pressed enter before the website went to an infinite loop. After a few failed login attempts, the pop-up happened. In case the hacker or scammer got my login and password, he/she would not be able to access my account if Viking puts in the extra measure of identity confirmation check.

The more I think about the 1-800 number, the more sure I am that it was a scam (trying to put spyware in my computer). First of all, which company will have an army of staff ( I heard lots of representatives talking to "customers" in the background) assisting strangers (that is, not customers) to solve computer/internet problems? The "APple rep" did not ask me for my account number or device serial number to confirm I was indeed their Apple customer. Furthermore, upon hearing that my computer was a window based non-Apple computer, the rep did not refuse to help. In fact, he sounded very eager, telling me to go slowly while following his directions to hand over control of my computer online.

I hope FBI or some crime investigation agencies would find this post to check out that 1-800 number for possible international organized crime.

A side note - After numerous failed attempts (using my iPad), I got a pop up message (that would not go away) telling me my IP address is being used by multiple other computers (serious hacking possibility and identity theft if not fixed immediately) and to call Apple tech support number 1-800-858-2160 toll free for help. I called the number, and the helper asked me to turn on my computer to type in some www.techsupport address. The next steps, I believe, would be to give him the control of my computer, so he would help fix my problem. An alarm immediately popped up in my mind. Being cautious, I asked for some means, so I could call or check online to confirm he was indeed from Apple Tech Support. After he gave me no direct answers, I thanked him and hung up.

You were correct. That was definitely a hacker.

MyVikingJourney is down again. I was able to print out a list of the excursions for my upcoming cruise on Friday, but since Saturday morning (it is now Sunday morning July 23, 2017), the site has been offline.

MyVikingJourney is down again. I was able to print out a list of the excursions for my upcoming cruise on Friday, but since Saturday morning (it is now Sunday morning July 23, 2017), the site has been offline.

I noticed you just joined CC today. Which upcoming cruise are you taking?

Several. We're doing the Cities of Antiquities & The Holy Lands this fall. Next spring we're doing Empires of the Mediterranean, then next fall Capitals of the Far East (Hong Kong, Taipei, Shanghai, Seoul (if it's till there!), Beijing and 3 other Chinese ports). For spring 2019 we have booked Bangkok, Bali & Beyond (Bali, Jakarta, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Bangkok and a couple others).

Believe it or not, we had never EVER taken a cruise prior to last summer, when a friend persuaded us to take the Viking Ocean cruise of Scandinavia and the Baltic Sea. We had always thought we wouldn't like cruising, but we fell in love with it. Earlier this year we did the Viking West Indies ocean cruise, then in June we did the Viking River cruise from Amsterdam to Basel Switzerland, after which we spent a week driving around Switzerland.

Sunday afternoon: After 24 frustrating hours trying to get the page to load, I called Viking and they confirmed that the "My Viking Journey" site is currently being "updated." They expect it will be up and operational tomorrow, Monday, June 24. They should have put a notice on their main site to that effect to save us all the time, trouble and angst!

It's a very simple matter to post a message that a site is being updated while the rest of the site is being worked on. Which is what makes me doubt that explanation. It apparently was also "updated" in June. It shouldn't need to be "updated" that often.

Early this morning I had e-mailed Viking stating the problems I was having; this afternoon I rec'd this reply -- which doesn't mention "updating" which is waht the owman on the phone told me:

We apologize for the difficulties you are experiencing with your My Viking Journey web account. We are aware of the problem and will continue our efforts to remedy the issue until fixed.

In the meantime our agents have been instructed and are ready to assist our clients with their needs by phone. When you call in if the agent you speak to is not able to assist you, please ask to speak to a Supervisor.

Please call us at your soonest convenience. To discuss this matter further please call us directly at 1-855-338-4546 and speak to one of our Representatives.

They will be able to assist you and can address any questions or concerns you may have.

Best regards

Viking Cruises

Viking Cruises|vikingcruises.com

Viking Cruises: 1-855-338-4546

Representatives are available from 4:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. (PST) Monday through Friday

5:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. (PST) Saturday and Sunday

Yes, the woman on the phone said it should be fixed tomorrow, Monday....

Susan aka Divafeather

Dear all,

Since yesterday’s update, all World Cruise accounts have been restored and My Viking Journey is now fully accessible.

Rest assured that the recent interruption was nothing more than an internal system error.

Thank you for the opportunity to follow-up. We look forward to cruising with you all soon!

Best regards,

Viking Cruises

Monday morning:

"This page isn’t working"

www.myvikingjourney.com

:cool:

Edited by $hip$hape

Following with interest. I have had no trouble logging in to MyVikingJourney over the past week or two. Our cruise is not until next year, so there is nothing available yet, but I keep checking to see if any excursions have been added!

Still unable to connect. Getting an http 504 error: www.myvikingjourney.com took too long to respond.

I've had no problem logging in.

504 error is a gateway timeout.

Try flushing your DNS cache

If using Windows:

• Click Start.
  • Enter cmd in the Start menu search text box.
  • Right-click Command Prompt and select Run as Administrator.
  • Run the following command: ipconfig /flushdns. If the command succeeds, the system returns the following message: ?