Sydney Opal card

I told my travel buddy about Opal cards for our November trip. She already purchased it, thinking that she would just wait until October to activate it since it is good for 90 days once activated. This morning she told me she found a credit (minus transaction fee) on her bank statement because the Opal card was cancelled. I wish the Opal website would have stated that up front. Are the cards always cancelled if not activated?

Yes, there is a 60 day limit where funds have to be collected before being refunded.

It does say this on the site, in multiple places e.g. https://www.opal.com.au/en/get-an-opal-card/top-up/

Doesn't stop it being annoying though! The joys of private enterprise.

Not sure what you mean about 90 days validity once activated. The cards have a multi-year life once activated.

Yes, there is a 60 day limit where funds have to be collected before being refunded.

It does say this on the site, in multiple places e.g. https://www.opal.com.au/en/get-an-opal-card/top-up/

Doesn't stop it being annoying though! The joys of private enterprise.

Not sure what you mean about 90 days validity once activated. The cards have a multi-year life once activated.

Thanks for your reply. The section you referenced is for topping off your card adding cash value to existing account.

Interesting, the Opal terms and conditions that I read before sending info to my friend says "If you receive an Opal Card in the mail, you must activate it inaccordance with the procedure specified in the Opal starter pack that accompanies theOpal Card." I have not seen the Opal starter pack since I haven't ordered mine yet. Why can't this information be available before the card is purchased?

I see nowhere in the online Opal Terms of Use that is available before purchase that addresses activation within any time frame, though it does state that once activated you have 90 days to use.

I've recommended that my friend contacts Opal to ask about this. I would hope that the Opal website would clearly state that cards for visitors must be activated within a designated time frame, and once activated would be available for 90 days.

for other travelers, - order your Opal card 3 months before your planned travel date. Probably a good idea to order around the same time as you get your Visa (although I need to verify how long before trip that is recommended!)

BTW on the opal for visitors page none of this is addressed https://www.opal.com.au/en/about-opal/opal_for_visitors/

Edited by herbanrenewal

Correction to above message - everywhere I said 90 days should say 60 days. Get the card 2 months before the trip to Sydney and everything should be fine.

I don't know why I have a mental block for 90 days I know in my trip notes I have it on my To Do list for 2 months before I arrive! :confused: :rolleyes:

there is no need to order an Opal card before your trip....they are easily obtained when you are here in Sydney.

saves all this fuss re activation etc.

A friend told me to order in advance because when the ship gets in port lots of people are delayed with long lines to get the pass. My brother also had the same experience - he said it took an hour of waiting in line to get his opal card.

• 2 weeks later...
there is no need to order an Opal card before your trip....they are easily obtained when you are here in Sydney.

saves all this fuss re activation etc.

Where are they available to purchase?

at the airport, the newsagent/WH Smith will have the cards.

at Circular Quay, there are many places to obtain the Opal cards....newsagents and other outlets.

think that there is an Opal ticket office at Circular Quay too....suspect this is where the queues are to be found.

the cards are free but you need to load some money on to it to before using the card.

have been told that some outlets (at CQ) charge a $2 handling fee for the card....your choice...long queue or pay $2 or find another outlet

at Circular Quay, there are many places to obtain the Opal cards....newsagents and other outlets.

think that there is an Opal ticket office at Circular Quay too....suspect this is where the queues are to be found.

the cards are free but you need to load some money on to it to before using the card.

have been told that some outlets (at CQ) charge a $2 handling fee for the card....your choice...long queue or pay $2 or find another outlet

If you want to avoid the long queues at Circular Quay by ordering before you arrive in Sydney the website is here: https://www.opal.com.au/ordercard/?execution=e1s1

You can order with your anticipated fares loaded and you are ready to go - but don't order too early since it is valid for just 60 days. Maximum daily fare is $15AU or weekly $60AU.

Visitor info here : https://www.opal.com.au/en/about-opal/opal_for_visitors/

Thank you for the information.

• 1 month later...

Hi, we calculated that we each requires $60 for the Opal card, we will take the train from the airport to Wynyard Stn. once we landed, so you are saying that we can get it in the airport and activate there rightaway? Do they accept Visa or Mastercard with pin or tab in Australia?

Thanks.

Hi, we calculated that we each requires $60 for the Opal card, we will take the train from the airport to Wynyard Stn. once we landed, so you are saying that we can get it in the airport and activate there rightaway? Do they accept Visa or Mastercard with pin or tab in Australia?

Thanks.

Yes you can buy Opal Card at the entrance to the train station at the airport. You have to pay by credit card, Visa or MasterCard are accepted.

• 2 weeks later...

We are only in Sydney for 3 days, is it worth our while to buy Opal cards? We plan to ride the HOHO buses and travel on several ferry rides, Darling Harbour, to Manly and maybe the zoo. Can we save any money with a Opal card?

We are only in Sydney for 3 days, is it worth our while to buy Opal cards? We plan to ride the HOHO buses and travel on several ferry rides, Darling Harbour, to Manly and maybe the zoo. Can we save any money with a Opal card?

boards, if you are travelling on any public transport such as ferries, you will need an Opal card. There is more information in this link - https://transportnsw.info/tickets-opal/opal/about-opal/visitor-tickets

Enjoy your visit to Sydney.

Leigh

boards, if you are travelling on any public transport such as ferries, you will need an Opal card. There is more information in this link - https://transportnsw.info/tickets-opal/opal/about-opal/visitor-tickets

Enjoy your visit to Sydney.

Leigh

That was the case up til last year, but as said on that link, you can also buy "Opal single tickets." These are bought on the spot like traditional tickets were.

It comes down to how much you plan to use public transport, and where. If you're going to do lots of journeys it's convenient to buy the card so you don't need to buy a ticket each trip. But if you're not sure if you'll use it much (just the ferries were mentioned - hoho buses are now private and would need to be bought separately, not with Opal), just buying as you need means you don't have to put extra funds on the card that would then likely be lost when you leave (given the time and hassle to try to get them back).

That was the case up til last year, but as said on that link, you can also buy "Opal single tickets." These are bought on the spot like traditional tickets were.

It comes down to how much you plan to use public transport, and where. If you're going to do lots of journeys it's convenient to buy the card so you don't need to buy a ticket each trip. But if you're not sure if you'll use it much (just the ferries were mentioned - hoho buses are now private and would need to be bought separately, not with Opal), just buying as you need means you don't have to put extra funds on the card that would then likely be lost when you leave (given the time and hassle to try to get them back).

Sorry, I forgot to mention the singe trip tickets. I couldn't find my Opal card after disembarking from the Voyager of the Seas in April and as we were catching the train to the airport I bought a single trip Opal ticket to get there. These tickets cost a little more than the Opal card fares.

Leigh

I cracked up when I saw an ad for those single trip tickets the other day. Talk about a back-flip.

I guess they got a backlash from people like tourists and those who don't use public transport very often. :rolleyes: :eek: :p

I think having the single trip tickets is very sensible and will certainly make life easier for visitors to Sydney.

In 2014 we traveled twice on the a ferry and just bought tickets for each trip. From the explanations of what to do in purchasing and up dating, etc., that is what we will do this time too. The lines were never long. We had a great time then and we hope we will again this October.

• 2 weeks later...

We had 3 days in Sydney before our cruise. We went inside the information desk at Circular Quay and asked the best way to get around on our own (DIY). They suggested the Opal Card.

Wow! what an incredible deal. We purchased our Opal cards right in Circular Quay. We loaded it with $20AUD. Note: The super nice lady that told us about the card even came out and showed us how to use the card. She took us to the machine and said: "Simply tap on when you enter and tap off when you leave...no worries".

The first day, we were very careful on how many times we used the card....we didn't want to run out of money on the card. This is funny every time we think about it....at the end of the first day, we had taken the bus to Bondi Beach, then took the ferry to Manly Beach, then took several train rides. We went back to the store and asked to "re-load" our Opal cards with more money. We wanted to visit a few sights.

We were then told: "You don't need to add money for today...you can use the Opal card as much as you want....the maximum amount that will be deducted is only $15." :)

We looked at each other and proceeded to ride the train everywhere....all over Sydney! What a great deal!

The icing on the cake was this...we made sure we had at least $17 in our Opal card. We had an early flight out. At the end of our cruise, we self-disembarked, walked out of the OPT, walked 10 minutes to Circular Quay and took the train back to the airport. When we got upstairs to the platform, the conductor said: "You just missed the train to the airport...but no worries, it runs every ten minutes." Thank you to the wonderful people in Sydney.

• 3 months later...
Note Sydney Opal Card for interstate Australian Seniors are only valid for 30 days. You need to apply each time you visit, with your relevant State Senior Card.

Incorrect. Sydney OPAL cards for interstate Australian Seniors are valid for 60 days from the date of issue. I got one in May when I visited Sydney and now have to get another one when I visit Sydney again in February 2018. Why they are only valid for two months is a mystery to me. One would think that it would cost the Department of Transport a lot of money for processing and mailing every time that someone has to apply for a new one.

People!

NO need to pre purchase the Opal Card. It's readily available.

What should be mentioned that you need to "touch on" and "touch off" EVERY TIME you get on or off public transport.

For trains and ferries thus happens before you get on (just watch the natives) and on busses inside the bus, usually very clulose to the doors.

Failing to touch on (or more importantly OFF) will result the maximum fare deducted from your card!!! If you are changing between buses or modes of transport, within a short time (not sure what that time is), a "transfer " is applied, not two full fare regular trips.

Getting on or off SYD airport is quite expensive! The train ride itself costs the regular fare, BUT you are charged a steep "station access fee" because the stations are basically run by a private company. If it's more than 2 of you, it may be cheaper to take a taxi or Uber to the CBD.

People!

NO need to pre purchase the Opal Card. It's readily available.

What should be mentioned that you need to "touch on" and "touch off" EVERY TIME you get on or off public transport.

For trains and ferries thus happens before you get on (just watch the natives) and on busses inside the bus, usually very clulose to the doors.

Failing to touch on (or more importantly OFF) will result the maximum fare deducted from your card!!! If you are changing between buses or modes of transport, within a short time (not sure what that time is), a "transfer " is applied, not two full fare regular trips.

Getting on or off SYD airport is quite expensive! The train ride itself costs the regular fare, BUT you are charged a steep "station access fee" because the stations are basically run by a private company. If it's more than 2 of you, it may be cheaper to take a taxi or Uber to the CBD.

Yep airport is about $17 each, two of you a taxi will be a bit more, but not by much.