Excursions or not? Nassau, Bahamas

nelsonbrandyl

Just wondering if this is a port you really want to do an excursion at or just get off and explore on your own? I know in Jamaica I personally will always do a excursion unless in Falmouth, then I stay inside the little shopping area if not doing one, all. Cause of what goes on in Jamaica. Opinions please.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Nassau is one of my favorite ports! I usually go to Cable Beach, Saunders Beach, and / or Ardastra Gardens & Zoo on my own. You can take a taxi very easily or hop on the #10 jitney (local bus). The water is crystal clear and so turquoise blue!!! And the Fish Fry is along the way if you'd like some fresh local food for lunch.

We've also done a couple snorkeling excursions there. The best was with Bay West tours (not through the cruise lines). I found them on the internet - very nice guys - great excursion!

We go again in Sept. and are looking into taking a boat to Rose Island for the day, with snorkeling and lunch included. I can't wait!! The pictures and reviews make it look like lots of fun.

- You can also walk right off the ship and do some shopping. There are plenty of stores right there, plus the huge Straw Market. - There's always Señor Frog's, if you like that kind of thing...(!)

- We've walked to the Queen's Staircase before. There's a Pirate Museum close by.

- You can ride the water taxi over to the Atlantis side (Cabbage Beach is there).

Have fun!!

Nassau is one of my favorite ports! I usually go to Cable Beach, Saunders Beach, and / or Ardastra Gardens & Zoo on my own. You can take a taxi very easily or hop on the #10 jitney (local bus). The water is crystal clear and so turquoise blue!!! And the Fish Fry is along the way if you'd like some fresh local food for lunch.

We've also done a couple snorkeling excursions there. The best was with Bay West tours (not through the cruise lines). I found them on the internet - very nice guys - great excursion!

We go again in Sept. and are looking into taking a boat to Rose Island for the day, with snorkeling and lunch included. I can't wait!! The pictures and reviews make it look like lots of fun.

- You can also walk right off the ship and do some shopping. There are plenty of stores right there, plus the huge Straw Market. - There's always Señor Frog's, if you like that kind of thing...(!)

- We've walked to the Queen's Staircase before. There's a Pirate Museum close by.

- You can ride the water taxi over to the Atlantis side (Cabbage Beach is there).

Have fun!!

Awesome thanks. So it's sounds kind of like Grand Caymans. Like the way you can just walk around town and not be bothered or worry about things happening like in Jamaica?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Nassau is not like the Grand Caymans as it is much more crowded and the street vendors are more aggressive. Been there a number of times and, like Mckacmom, feel it is always best to have a planned event in mind. BTW, their straw market is, in my opinion, too jammed to enjoy.

IMHO if you go somewhere new, and you don't get off the ship, you haven't been there. I too love Nassau, the waters are beautiful, there are hundreds of excursions to do, and you can walk around town on your own.

here is a list of what I have done

blackbeards caye- no longer offered as an excursion (too bad)

blue lagoon-nice boat trip out, a little too chilly to swim, but very photographic, got a tour of the rich and famous homes on the way back

melia-day pass-took the bus (jitney # 10) it was the sheritan then and it had everything needed for a great day. sun sets earlier in the Bahamas, so we were in the shade by mid afternoon, beach was perfect, small reef set up for snorkeling.

melia-day pass (now with friends, DH falling and spraining an ankle) we got a day room, so he could rest, the younger one took a nap, and the friend and I became day nurses, but we still had a good time, took a cab back to help out the DH,

stayed on the ship, it rained buckets and buckets, was traveling with the younger one (younger one is daughter of friend) she did the dolphin experience, at Balmoral island. when she got back I asked her what the beach excursion people did ( I originally had that booked), she said they were put in a tent, and watched a movie.

did a city walk, once again it was pouring buckets, but DH and I headed out to the pirate museum, and the church across the street , now it was really raining, and the streets were flooding, but we had to get back to the ship, water over the curbs, we took off our shoes and found the starbucks, had coffee, listened to all the travelers that were there (not many locals hang out in starbucks) and then walked back to the ship, the skies cleared, and it was sunny by mid afternoon, rainbows at sail away.

you can down load a walking map of Nassau, see the government buildings, learn some history and not spend a dime.

want to do the zoo next (depends on DH's health), but don't stay on a ship!!!

by the way, while I liked all the excursions, I loved the Church and pirate museum day the best.

Have fun!!

We are booked in January and are looking at spending the day at Cable Beach. We have been to Atlantis and Junkanoo so its time for something new :) What is the best way to do Cable Beach, taxi? Is it a public beach or should we get a daypass from a resort/hotel?

We are booked in January and are looking at spending the day at Cable Beach. We have been to Atlantis and Junkanoo so its time for something new :) What is the best way to do Cable Beach, taxi? Is it a public beach or should we get a daypass from a resort/hotel?

It is a public beach, but if you want to use any beach loungers or have access to any restrooms, you should probably get a day pass. I have walked through the Melia Resort a couple times just to get out to the public beach from the bus stop in front. Then I just lay down my beach towel. * But a day pass is nice because then you get the beach, plus a pool, bar, chairs, restrooms, etc. It's up to you. Taxis are everywhere. You shouldn't have a problem getting a ride to or from.