Best beaches in Cabo, Mazatlan and Puerto Vallarta

nyctravel

I've been to the east coast of Mexico but this will be my first Mexican Riviera cruise. I'd like to know what are the best beaches to go to, a beach with a bar and toilets! Thanks to everyone for their advice!

In Cabo, it's Medano Beach. You can walk, take a water taxi or a land taxi to get there. Lined with bars/restaurants. If you are the party type, Mango Deck is the place for you. If you want something more laid back, Billygans, Milky Way which also has a dive shop, The Sand Bar or Omega Sports Bar. Tabasco's used to be nice but they have been doing funny things with the final bill, so they are being avoided.

Yes I agree, we loved Medano Beach too... we booked the ME Resort day pass which is on Medano beach so we had the resort amenities, the beach and watersports . Higliy recommended !! https://cabosanlucascruiseexcursions.com/excursions/cabo-resort-beach-break-day-pass/

Edited by crossfitmama
spelling

Although Puerto Vallarta has some nice beaches, some of them close to the cruise terminal and/or in old town/Playa los Muertos. However the best beach is in Nuevo Vallarta.

However that will be a busride of about 40 minutes or cab/car trip away.

I enjoyed Playa Animes in Puerto Vallarta. Not too sure how a cruise passenger could there, because I visited when I was at a resort in PV, but the boat that took us on the excursion left from the cruise ship port. We booked it through Vallarta Adventures. It's a little more rustic with higher waves, but it was still a great place to visit!

• 3 weeks later...
For Cabo, what about the beaches on the Pacific side?

From a few aereal shots I've seen, there are some hotels on those beaches. And they look like easy walking distance from the tender dock.

Those beaches are not swimmable. In fact, the waves on that side are quite dangerous and there are signs everywhere advising people not to walk on the beach. At least once a year, someone gets pulled out to sea by a rouge wave. This year, fortunately, they were saved. Never turn your back on the ocean should you wish to visit there. It is beautiful if you keep a safe distance.

Ine, are those beaches within walking distance of cruise port? Is there a place to change your bathing suit or do you use a towel and change on the beach? Would not be the first time for the towel routine.

Restaurants on the beach on Playa Los Muertos (old town Vallarta) donot have showers, but they have bathrooms. You need to bring your own towel (get it on your ship). Just order food and drinks.

Hotel Tropicana in old town has a daypass for Pesos 200,- of which Pesos 100,- is for food.

You need a cab or local bus to get there.

Walking distance from the cruise terminal is Hotel Krystal where many cruise passengers were welcome to have a drink/meal and use their pool. However since contruction is going on there I am not sure they still do.

Not too far from the terminal (on the other side of the Marina, so you need cab or local bus for a short ride) ) Hotel Mariott has a deal for (price might be higher now) for US$ 35,- you can have a daypass. Not all but most of that amount if for food and drinks.

Nuevo Vallarta is about 30 minutes north by cab (longer by public bus) has a nice beachclub ETC. Just pay for food and drinks. They are on one of the nicest beaches in the area.

Playa los Animas is mentioned but since you need bus and boat to get there, which takes time, it is a bit too complicated if you need to be back in time.

Restaurants on the beach on Playa Los Muertos (old town Vallarta) donot have showers, but they have bathrooms. You need to bring your own towel (get it on your ship). Just order food and drinks.

Hotel Tropicana in old town has a daypass for Pesos 200,- of which Pesos 100,- is for food.

Walking distance from the cruise terminal is Hotel Krystal where many cruise passengers were welcome to have a drink/meal and use their pool. However since contruction is going on there I am not sure they still do.

Not too far from the terminal (on the other side of the Marina, so you need cab or local bus for a short ride) ) Hotel Mariott has a deal for (price might be higher now) for US$ 35,- you can have a daypass. Not all but most of that amount if for food and drinks.

Nuevo Vallarta is about 30 minutes north by cab (longer by public bus) has a nice beachclub ETC. Just pay for food and drinks. They are on one of the nicest beaches in the area.

Playa los Animas is mentioned but since you need bus and boat to get there, which takes time, it is a bit too complicated if you need to be back in time.

Correct me if I'm wrong but, isn't Nuevo Vallarta a town ? If so, where would one get off the bus to go to this Beach Club you mentioned ? Also, what is the name of the Beach Club ?

Correct me if I'm wrong but, isn't Nuevo Vallarta a town ? If so, where would one get off the bus to go to this Beach Club you mentioned ? Also, what is the name of the Beach Club ?

Nuevo Vallarta is not only a different town, even a different state (Nayarit) The name of the beachclub is ETC. You can get one of the rather frequent buses at the busstop at the Walmar,t more or less opposite the cruise terminal. There is a guy with a clipboard that can point you to the correct bus.

Get off at Hotel Marival or Dreams, as you can see at this map. On the way back go to the same busstop.

Be aware ETC opens at 11.a.m. as mentioned the busride might take about 30/40 minutes depending stops and traffic. The servers in ETC all speak english. User google photos and you will see lots of photos.

Most of the drivers will accept US$, (as does ETC), but paying in Pesos is always better

https://www.google.nl/maps/place/Etc+Beach+Club/@20.7132311,-105.3039346,17z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x842146c91bf8f7c5:0x739f762685c5a833!8m2!3d20.714059!4d-105.3046749?hl=nl

Edited by Ine

We really like the small cove at Mismaloya. Lots of restaurants (with restrooms) to choose from.

It's about 20-30 mins from the cruise dock, depending on traffic and taxi driver.

I believe we paid around 200 pesos each taxi to and from Mismaloya.

We always go to the first restaurant when you cross the bridge or small water path. I forget the name but they have been there for many many years. Clean (but rustic) banos and they have a great massage hut :)

Food and service are great, I think we paid 120 pesos for a whole extremely fresh incredible red snapper complete with rice, beans, salads and tortillas.

DH had a bucket of 6 beer for around 60 pesos and I drank large Cazadore Margaritas for 80 pesos.

Love walking up the path to where they filmed Night of the Inguana (my favourite movie )

We really like the small cove at Mismaloya. Lots of restaurants (with restrooms) to choose from.

It's about 20-30 mins from the cruise dock, depending on traffic and taxi driver.

I believe we paid around 200 pesos each taxi to and from Mismaloya.

We always go to the first restaurant when you cross the bridge or small water path. I forget the name but they have been there for many many years. Clean (but rustic) banos and they have a great massage hut :)

Food and service are great, I think we paid 120 pesos for a whole extremely fresh incredible red snapper complete with rice, beans, salads and tortillas.

DH had a bucket of 6 beer for around 60 pesos and I drank large Cazadore Margaritas for 80 pesos.

Love walking up the path to where they filmed Night of the Inguana (my favourite movie )

Agree... Misamloya is great. We stayed there for a week once on a land vacation... awesome! :)

Nuevo Vallarta is not only a different town, even a different state (Nayarit) The name of the beachclub is ETC. You can get one of the rather frequent buses at the busstop at the Walmar,t more or less opposite the cruise terminal. There is a guy with a clipboard that can point you to the correct bus.

Get off at Hotel Marival or Dreams, as you can see at this map. On the way back go to the same busstop.

Be aware ETC opens at 11.a.m. as mentioned the busride might take about 30/40 minutes depending stops and traffic. The servers in ETC all speak english. User google photos and you will see lots of photos.

Most of the drivers will accept US$, (as does ETC), but paying in Pesos is always better

https://www.google.nl/maps/place/Etc+Beach+Club/@20.7132311,-105.3039346,17z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x842146c91bf8f7c5:0x739f762685c5a833!8m2!3d20.714059!4d-105.3046749?hl=nl

Sounds good, thank you:)

FYI on Playa Los Muertos in PV: It gets hot and CROWDED with many locals! Get ready to pay for chairs.. umbrella slightly more... Lot's of vendors selling food and stuff. Also a great spot to for water sports/rentals. Just be prepared for the crowds. We were just there in July.

FYI on Playa Los Muertos in PV: It gets hot.

News Flash, it's Mexico, and it's usually hot!:rolleyes:

Lot's of vendors selling food and stuff.

Again, it's Mexico and this is a common occurrence. Was this your first visit?:confused:

News Flash, it's Mexico, and it's usually hot!:rolleyes:

Again, it's Mexico and this is a common occurrence. Was this your first visit?:confused:

What's your definition of hot? 'Winter' months are not as hot as in the Summer.. This was more of an FYI for the person inquiring. Guess I need to be more specific.....

Again, this was more of an fFYI for them..... To be prepared just in case THEY were not familiar with the beach.... :p I've hung out at other beaches in Mexico and some of those had no vendors or only vendors that sold trinkets. I was just surprised as to how many FOOD vendors there were in Los Muertos......

Thanks Swede, I was going to say that ;)

Edited by klfhngr

FYI on Playa Los Muertos in PV: It gets hot and CROWDED with many locals! Get ready to pay for chairs.. umbrella slightly more... Lot's of vendors selling food and stuff. Also a great spot to for water sports/rentals. Just be prepared for the crowds. We were just there in July.

I have never had to pay for a chair or umbrella at any of the Los Muertos restaurants I have chosen to spend the day at. As long as I am buying food and drink those items have always been free.

Are you talking about one of the beach clubs? Swell or the Vista Grill one (forget the day name but at night it's the Vista Grill.

In all of my 25+++ visits (last one was this May) chairs and umbrellas are free for patrons at restaurants.

Crowds are larger than normal :)

I have never had to pay for a chair or umbrella at any of the Los Muertos restaurants I have chosen to spend the day at. As long as I am buying food and drink those items have always been free.

Are you talking about one of the beach clubs? Swell or the Vista Grill one (forget the day name but at night it's the Vista Grill.

In all of my 25+++ visits (last one was this May) chairs and umbrellas are free for patrons at restaurants.

Crowds are larger than normal :)

No restaurants or beach clubs, just walked up to the main beach...... The area was by one of the restaurants with a huge covered patio... Sorry, don't know the name and i do know that there are lots of restaurants... maybe that's the ticket, to wine and dine and stay for 'free'... We plan on finding a more secluded beach this coming Oct.... And visit Los Muertos Brewery!

Marriott (Grande) is absolutely beautiful with a fabulous pool By the way