Wonderful Copenhagen 2017 edition.

Sorry if this was asked before -- Does the 72 hr city pass has to be used all at once (3 consecutive days) or can they be used in 3 different 24 hour time periods? Like 2 days before cruise and 1 day after.

We will be in Copenhagen in early oct and staying in a airbnb at Holsteinsgade sal lejlighed nr 03, København, København 2100, Denmark would appreciate input on safety of area and also easiest way from airport and also to the cruise port oceankaj thanks so much. will have just a couple bags. Can we really get around the area on bikes. trying to decide on the city pass or cop card.

We will be in Copenhagen in early oct and staying in a airbnb at Holsteinsgade sal lejlighed nr 03, København, København 2100, Denmark would appreciate input on safety of area and also easiest way from airport and also to the cruise port oceankaj thanks so much. will have just a couple bags. Can we really get around the area on bikes. trying to decide on the city pass or cop card.

Østerbro is probably the safest area to be in so I would have no worries in staying there.

It's walkable from Østerport station do just take the train from the airport towards Helsingør or Nivå and get off at Østerport.

If you use Google Maps you can see a little pedestrian bridge at the end of the platform, use that as its a short cut to Holsteinsgade.

The very same pedestrian bridge at Østerport will lead over to the bus stops for 25 and 27 on the other side if the tracks.

It's not the bridge called Langeliniebro as its located a few 100 meters further north.

It's the one connected to the platforms at Østerport with stairs and elevators.

It's easy to get around on bike in Copenhagen but just remember to signal with your arms of you turn left or right and make no sudden stops in the bike lane as the experienced drivers go very fast :-)

Anyone know the limit on alcohol we can bring into Denmark?

If you are travelling from another EU country you can bring 10 liters of Whiskey, vodka etc, 90 liters of wine or 110 liters of beer.

If you are travelling from outside EU its 1, 4 and 16 liters.

Thank you for this wonderful thread. I'm sure I'll be asking a thousand questions until our cruise next May.

I've been trying to decide on airlines and times. Only want nonstop from either Copenhagen or Oslo to Newark. Only one I found is SAS but their departure times from Copenhagen aren't great for me. There are only two, one at 10:25 am and the other at 6:35pm. I don't think we can make the earlier one because our ship doesn't dock until 7am (NCL Breakaway) and they say you need to be at the airport at least three hours before departure. If I book the later one, should I take the bus back to Central Station and store our bags for a few hours to walk around and kill time? Do I need to purchase another ticket back to the airport or can I use the same ticket from the pier with a transfer?

Some say they can make the earlier plane but I don't want to be stressed out. Please tell me what you think.

I definately also think that the 10:25 is to early, the recommended arrival time for international departures are 3 hours before.

Also from October they are more strict passport controls for people enter or leaving the EU so they estimate that the temporary measurements will make the process longer.

A more permanent solution is first ready in 2019 when the new Pier E is done and the rebuild of the passport control at pier C is finished.

Unless you can check in your luggage earlier then its best to just take the bus and train to the central station and store your luggage there.

And then just take the train to the airport 3 hours before your flight.

I can add that Norwegian fly´s nonstop to JFK on Tuesdays at 19:40, Wednesday at 19:10, Fridays at 17:45 and Sundays at 17:45.

It also seems like Delta starts their summer route to Copenhagen on the 25th of May departing at 12:55 every day.

Østerbro is probably the safest area to be in so I would have no worries in staying there.

It's walkable from Østerport station do just take the train from the airport towards Helsingør or Nivå and get off at Østerport.

If you use Google Maps you can see a little pedestrian bridge at the end of the platform, use that as its a short cut to Holsteinsgade.

The very same pedestrian bridge at Østerport will lead over to the bus stops for 25 and 27 on the other side if the tracks.

It's not the bridge called Langeliniebro as its located a few 100 meters further north.

It's the one connected to the platforms at Østerport with stairs and elevators.

It's easy to get around on bike in Copenhagen but just remember to signal with your arms of you turn left or right and make no sudden stops in the bike lane as the experienced drivers go very fast :-)

thanks so much for the info :)

We will be in Copenhagen for Oct. 5 and 6 before our Getaway cruise. We arrive at 9pm by air and need to get to the Wakeup Borgergarde hotel. I think you have suggested the metro from the airport to the central station and then walk to the hotel. We wont have much luggage and it can be wheeled, but will it be safe to walk there at that hour (probably be after 10pm by the time we get luggage and the train).

Thanks for all your advice, I've been reading your post for weeks trying to put together a walking tour for our too short visit.

Tony

We will be in Copenhagen for Oct. 5 and 6 before our Getaway cruise. We arrive at 9pm by air and need to get to the Wakeup Borgergarde hotel. I think you have suggested the metro from the airport to the central station and then walk to the hotel. We wont have much luggage and it can be wheeled, but will it be safe to walk there at that hour (probably be after 10pm by the time we get luggage and the train).

Thanks for all your advice, I've been reading your post for weeks trying to put together a walking tour for our too short visit.

Tony

DV will correct me if I am wrong, but I think you take the Metro to Kongens Nytorv St stop. If I have the correct hotel it is about a 1/4 mile from that Metro stop. As to the time and the safety factors, I would not know. I will be staying in Nyhavn and had the same thought about walking from the station to our hotel. The DW has told me we are taking a taxi from the airport. ["Yes dear."]

DV will correct me if I am wrong, but I think you take the Metro to Kongens Nytorv St stop. If I have the correct hotel it is about a 1/4 mile from that Metro stop. As to the time and the safety factors, I would not know. I will be staying in Nyhavn and had the same thought about walking from the station to our hotel. The DW has told me we are taking a taxi from the airport. ["Yes dear."]

I am going to put in my "two cents". I am with DW. I thought about taking the Metro from the airport to the hotel, but the thought of lugging my luggage on a train and then trying to find my hotel made me decide on a taxi. They do not seem any more expensive than cabs in New York City. Plus have read several warnings about pick pockets. We would so look like tourists-"easy pickins."

I am going to put in my "two cents". I am with DW. I thought about taking the Metro from the airport to the hotel, but the thought of lugging my luggage on a train and then trying to find my hotel made me decide on a taxi. They do not seem any more expensive than cabs in New York City. Plus have read several warnings about pick pockets. We would so look like tourists-"easy pickins."

That is what she said, she was not going to drag luggage onto a train and then to a cab at the central train station. Just drag it to the cab at the airport and be done with it. I cannot say what she said about walking it to the hotel with no cab involved.

Tony

You take the train from the airport to the Kongens Nytorv station and the Wakeup Borgergade (where we also stayed) is 3 - 4 blocks away--take a look at Google Maps. We walked around this area in the evening in July (when it was still light until nearly 10pm) and it was busy. We did not feel like it was unsafe at all. It will be dark when you make this trip in October, but I still don't think you should find it unsafe.

As far as walking tours for your short visit, I highly recommend Copenhagen Free Walking Tours. We did their 3-hour Grand Tour and it was one of the highlights of our entire Baltic cruise. If you want to do a self-guided tour, just pick up the Rick Steves tour book for Scandanavia or Northern European Cruise Ports. They both contain a section on Copenhagen with a self-guided tour of the city and several of the attractions (e.g. Rosenborg Castle). In addition to the Copenhagen Free Walking Tour, we did some of the RS tours and they were good.

Is this a Denmark thing or and EU thing? Does this apply to the airport?

It is an EU thing, applying to all passengers entering and leaving the Schengen area. Some other countries are already complying and it has led to longer queues at airports.

Now, the Police officers just take a quick look at your passport (if you are from a visa exempt country), but in the future they will have to register it electronically.

I will be in Copenhagen from October 11 - 14th. It appears the Tivoli opens on October 13th for Halloween. I assume that means it is closed on the 11th and 12th. Are the restaurants in Tivoli also closed on those dates?

When looking at the websites for the restaurants it looks like they are only open during Tivolis opening hours.

Tony

As others have mentioned its Kongens Nytorv.

It's easy for me to say but I think its problem free to take the metro from the airport to Kongens Nytorv and then take the short walk to the hotel.

Danish Viking would it be better to stay in the area around the Best Western City Center or the Best Western Hebron. Could you let me know your thoughts.

The Hebron is located in the socalled red light district so it can be a little "fun" at times, but there is no security risks by staying there.

The other area is very quiet, probably a little bit boring but if you are only sleeping there it shouldn't matter.

Is this a Denmark thing or and EU thing? Does this apply to the airport?

As Frederik says its all over EU and its all EU border crossing so its both ports, airports etc etc.

I have heard that each passport check will take 10-15 seconds.

So imagine if Emirates A380 has just arrived with a bunch of A340, 777 or 787, that's alot of people that has to go through the passport control.