P&O and tenders

P&O have introduced a policy which says that if any of the ports involve a tender wheelchair users will now have to take what they are calling a "step test" to prove that they are able to get on and off the tender before being allowed to board. So if you are a full time wheelchair user and are thinking of booking a cruise that involves tenders I would check with customer service before booking because it is unlikely that you will be unable to use the tenders.

Hi,

I have just been on a cruise where for the first time I had to tender to shore, I can walk short distances but use a scooter. I found getting on and off the tender quite frightening (and I am a confident person)

I think this is a good idea by P&O as it is safer not to use the tender if you struggled like I did.

Pete

• 3 weeks later...

I had to do the 'step' text on P and O on a cruise in the summer. As I can walk a short distance I was fine. Have been on a number of cruises, but this was the first one where I had to use a tender.

I found the getting on and off the tender OK as there was staff to help. However, it would be impossible for some people.

• 1 year later...

Suggestion, the step test is to cross an 18 inch gap,

Whilst at home and prior to the cruise assemble a 18 inch long piece of cardboard,and train and practise using that.

The step over is still quite frightening to some particually when there is a swell