Carnival just added a Waterfall excursion!

ABQrobin

Looked at excursions today, just like every morning, to see if anything NEW is offered for each of our ports coming up in March.

Carnival has added a Waterfall excursion.... only lasts 4 hours. Goes to the same place as both of the independent tour ops that are mentioned here go, but it looks like they only do the lower section and that is why it is shorter time.

We booked it. Very excited. We did not want to be gone from the port all day, and with this one, we will be back at 1:30pm, so time to hang out at Amber Cove afterwards and shop a little.

Just thought I would let everyone know, in case you had been considering...

I posted a thread about this excursion though i did mine through Trip Advisor. We had plenty of time to do the bottom half of the falls as well as have time to do some shopping before needing to be back on the boat.

There were a bunch of groups going so they take people in waves but they are very good about keeping track of time so even if you don't book through Carnival don't worry about time. It was def worth it and I would do it again but check the weather and again wear shoes that can get wet with good soles. It is one heck of hike and lots and lots and lots rocks going up and coming down.

I did a video of the trip you can see here. The pictures were amazing if you have waterproof camera but the video gives a very good idea what to expect.

http://www.adventureforthesoul.com/damajagua-waterfalls-puerto-plata-shore-excursion-in-dominican-republic

I posted a thread about this excursion though i did mine through Trip Advisor. We had plenty of time to do the bottom half of the falls as well as have time to do some shopping before needing to be back on the boat.

There were a bunch of groups going so they take people in waves but they are very good about keeping track of time so even if you don't book through Carnival don't worry about time. It was def worth it and I would do it again but check the weather and again wear shoes that can get wet with good soles. It is one heck of hike and lots and lots and lots rocks going up and coming down.

I did a video of the trip you can see here. The pictures were amazing if you have waterproof camera but the video gives a very good idea what to expect.

http://www.adventureforthesoul.com/damajagua-waterfalls-puerto-plata-shore-excursion-in-dominican-republic

I loved the video but of how many waterfalls did you have to "jump" off a ledge. I did the waterfalls in Jamaica and for some reason am all of the sudden afraid of heights. It was totally embarrassing how I had to talk myself into jumping off the shortest ledge. I want to take my 12 year boys who loved our waterfall adventure but am worried that I won't be able to do it.

Thanks for your help!

There was only one real jump I'd say that didn't have an alternate way down and it was about 15 feet. None of these were big jumps and honestly I was hoping for more but it may have also been due to heavy flooding that we didn't get to do others.

I don't think they are the same, as the Carnival excursion, as I said, is only 4 hours. I had read all the reviews of the independent ops who went to the waterfalls and they all had groups doing different sections of the waterfalls, so the people only doing the lower section (easier part) had to sit and wait for the rest of the group to join them after doing the upper part. Everyone was there on excursion 6-7 hours total for that reason.

The Carnival excursion is only 4 hours so I am assuming it is only the Lower section, then everyone returns. This works better for us.

So....yes, doing the waterfalls.... but not the same excursion.

Ours was 5 hours and we didn't have to wait on anyone to go before us however we wer at port of 8 hours so that left plenty of time for shopping and the included lunch and drinks saved us money from eating at the port. They provided a full lunch buffet and all you drink local rum. But then again I'm very partial to local tours over the Carnival tours as I really hate being herded but if the price is comparable and it gives you better peace of mind then yeah stick with Carnival. Better then being stressed about time the whole trip.

• 2 weeks later...
Ours was 5 hours and we didn't have to wait on anyone to go before us however we wer at port of 8 hours so that left plenty of time for shopping and the included lunch and drinks saved us money from eating at the port. They provided a full lunch buffet and all you drink local rum. But then again I'm very partial to local tours over the Carnival tours as I really hate being herded but if the price is comparable and it gives you better peace of mind then yeah stick with Carnival. Better then being stressed about time the whole trip.

What tour group did you use? I prefer to use local versus cruise line tours.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Forums mobile app

What tour group did you use? I prefer to use local versus cruise line tours.

There are posts about the independent ops running waterfall tours. I am the OP and just wanted to let people know that there is now a tour that can be booked through Carnival. If you want to learn about the independents, you should do a search on the Forum for "Waterfalls".

This is the place I used https://www.viator.com/tours/Puerto-Plata/Puerto-Plata-Shore-Excursion-Damajagua-Waterfalls-Tour-For-Amber-Cove-Cruise-Ship-Passengers/d795-15719P1

I tried to find them directly online but couldn't find a website for them. I prefer to book directly as i know booking sites take a cut. But yeah I prefer to book via the vendors instead of the cruise lines.

There are posts about the independent ops running waterfall tours. I am the OP and just wanted to let people know that there is now a tour that can be booked through Carnival. If you want to learn about the independents, you should do a search on the Forum for "Waterfalls".

Robin I know that Carnival has a tour for this now but personally I have had way better experiences booking direct with vendors. I don't like being herded and the carnival excursions are way to packed with people for my liking. I have had multiple excursions with local vendors for sailing, scuba, snorkeling etc that have been 4 people or less for cheaper prices. That's my kind of day. Not 50 people being directed like cattle.

Robin I know that Carnival has a tour for this now but personally I have had way better experiences booking direct with vendors. I don't like being herded and the carnival excursions are way to packed with people for my liking. I have had multiple excursions with local vendors for sailing, scuba, snorkeling etc that have been 4 people or less for cheaper prices. That's my kind of day. Not 50 people being directed like cattle.

Not all excursions are huge crowds being herded. And sometimes there are excursions that can only be done by booking through the ship. That was my point. This excursion is shorter than the ones listed by all the independent ops, and that is why we booked it. My DH is an athlete but has recently had several surgeries that mean he cannot currrently do the longer excursion which does all the waterfalls...but he wants to do some. The independent one we had looked at, had those NOT doing all the falls, sit and wait for the others to finish up, then all returned on bus together. That was the option we had until Carnival posted this shorter, 4 hour excursion. They are obviously only doing the lower falls, so no sitting for an hour waiting on rest of group.

• 2 weeks later...

We just got off the Magic yesterday 2/4 and did the newly added Waterfalls tour in AC offered by Carnival. The tour was amazing. Highlight of the cruise. We only did 5 waterfalls but they were amazing. I am very surprised that Carnival offers this excursion because its actually very dangerous and not an excursion for just anyone. Ill gladly answer any questions anyone has about the tour.

Also, does anyone that has done this tour through Carnival have the website to purchase the pictures from the tour. They gave everyone a little card but I can not find it. Thanks

Looked at excursions today, just like every morning, to see if anything NEW is offered for each of our ports coming up in March.

Carnival has added a Waterfall excursion.... only lasts 4 hours. Goes to the same place as both of the independent tour ops that are mentioned here go, but it looks like they only do the lower section and that is why it is shorter time.

We booked it. Very excited. We did not want to be gone from the port all day, and with this one, we will be back at 1:30pm, so time to hang out at Amber Cove afterwards and shop a little.

Just thought I would let everyone know, in case you had been considering...

So i just booked this same excursion thru Carnival.

After booking I went thru and completed the Carnival Shore Excursion 110 % guarantee form using shoreexcursioneer .com as the site with a lower cost. This got me a $55 obc for the two people booked.

This way I get the convenience and security of a Carnival Shore Exc and the back to the boat guarantee for the lower price plus a net gain of $5 for that extra hand of blackjack. :D

We booked with Iguana Mama. After talking to Carnival passengers they got ripped off. Iguana Mama has great service. You hike up halfway.(Free Bottled Water" Then you have the option to go to the 27 falls or stay with 12 waterfalls. You get buffet and open bar at the end This excursion is rough and dangerous. Trust me, I been there and done that. If you want pics let me know. However, we had fun and enjoyed the excursion.

We booked with Iguana Mama. After talking to Carnival passengers they got ripped off. Iguana Mama has great service. You hike up halfway.(Free Bottled Water" Then you have the option to go to the 27 falls or stay with 12 waterfalls. You get buffet and open bar at the end This excursion is rough and dangerous. Trust me, I been there and done that. If you want pics let me know. However, we had fun and enjoyed the excursion.

Which hike did you choose. We decided to use this company but I'm not sure which hike to pick. We have two teens with us, my husband and I aren't worry about the trek, just wondering if the longer hike is worth it.

I did 14 of the 27 waterfalls completely on our own without any tour company. All you have to do is get a very safe, licensed cab from the cruise center. It costs only $7 per person to climb the falls and you get a guide that stays with you. (He will expect a tip at the end😊...which I was more tat happy to give him because he basically saved my life 3 times that day... I'm not kidding!

We were there in January right after a flood tore out the bridge to the falls..it was super muddy and very slippery climbing up. If you are not in good shape physically this is not a good excursion for you. I thought I was in good shape but I had to stop and catch my breathe several times on the way up!

I was thinking of booking this excursion through Carnival for my 14 year old daughter and I. She's pretty adventurous and athletic. Me not so much. Bkshaw could you say a bit more about this excursion being dangerous? It sounds like fun from the description but wondering if I should reconsider and do something different instead. Thanks!

The dangerous part...well it's muddy and slippery and in many cases there are no railings to hold onto on your way up to the top of the falls. In some places there are rickety homemade wooden ladders to climb or you might just be climbing up slippery boulders. Also make sure you wear sturdy shoes that have good treads and will stay on your feet when you jump off ledges into the water. We were there a few weeks after a major flood so it was extremely muddy and slippery and also the bridge was washed out so we had to wade across a few streams etc. it was beautiful and both fun and terrifying at the same time. I'm not sure how many waterfalls the cruise line takes you to but we did 14. They also had options to just do 6 (which was a lot easier/safer

) and the whole 27...no way!

I was thinking of booking this excursion through Carnival for my 14 year old daughter and I. She's pretty adventurous and athletic. Me not so much. Bkshaw could you say a bit more about this excursion being dangerous? It sounds like fun from the description but wondering if I should reconsider and do something different instead. Thanks!

Sandycruzr or others who have done this,

How much did the taxi cost you? For how many people? Do they charge per person? Did the taxi wait for you at the falls or did you catch another back? If you got another one, was it hard to do? Did you have a number to call? Do they take American dollars at the falls and with cab? Thank you!

Thank you!

Crewsing with fam

Canival Conquest 3/12/17

I did 14 of the 27 waterfalls completely on our own without any tour company. All you have to do is get a very safe, licensed cab from the cruise center. It costs only $7 per person to climb the falls and you get a guide that stays with you. (He will expect a tip at the end😊...which I was more tat happy to give him because he basically saved my life 3 times that day... I'm not kidding!

We were there in January right after a flood tore out the bridge to the falls..it was super muddy and very slippery climbing up. If you are not in good shape physically this is not a good excursion for you. I thought I was in good shape but I had to stop and catch my breathe several times on the way up!