8 days is Istanbul

We have just returned to London after spending 8 days in Istanbul where we had a phenomenal time.

We had only ever been to Ephesus as a day tour on a cruise. I wanted to see more of Turkey, but since the ships quit going I decided we would go on our own, and I am so happy we did.

Istanbul is a fascinating and beautiful city. We found everyone we came in contact with to be very welcoming.

Security is very high at the airport, and we never felt uncomfortable anywhere. Police presence was obvious most everywhere.

DW and I really enjoy Istanbul (been there on many cruises and land trips) but really fear what is happening in Turkey. About 3 years ago, DD and her BF ask for our advice on where to go for a short (7-10 day) vacation...and we sent them off to Turkey. They loved the country and the people. Given the situation today..we would no longer make that recommendation....although DW and I would go back to Istanbul in a heartbeat.

Hank

I'm glad you got to enjoy Istanbul. Did you go anywhere else in Turkey on your visit?

While I think it's a shame that cruise lines are not calling at Istanbul (and most of them have veered away from Turkey altogether), I understand the reluctance of many to go there at this time. Like Hank, I would also go to Istanbul and not worry overmuch, but then I have had several nice visits there and know my way around.

Two years ago we took a 17 day small ship cruise in the Black Sea, with 8 of those days in various Turkish ports. Afternoons were free to wander on our own and we were astonished at how friendly folks in Turkey were. But the most frequent question we got, once they learned we lived in Pennsylvania, was do we know the man Gullen? (the big rival of president Erdogan who always refers to him as "the man from Pennsylvania".

I too would go back in a heartbeat.

We have just returned to London after spending 8 days in Istanbul where we had a phenomenal time.

So happy that you enjoyed Istanbul. I last visited in the fall of 2016 and had a wonderful time - it is one of my favorite European cities. I deplore the current political situation in Turkey but would visit again in a flash if given the opportunity.

Absolutely agree. We have been to Istanbul several times, usually for three days at a time. We very much enjoy it and always see or experience something new. We would not hesitate to return again...on our way to the Med. coast of Turkey and the islands.

We find the people very friendly. We feel as safe there as we do in any large city-Europe, North America, or Asia.

We booked our cruise Istanbul to Barcelona in 2015 and subsequently the Istanbul portion was cancelled and changed to leaving from Athens. We decided to go to Istanbul prior to our cruise and are so glad we did. Our four days were full days and never did we feel uncomfortable and would recommend anyone to go there. Did not feel at all threatened at any time This was March this year. A wonderful city

But by now visiting , you are supporting the Erdogan regime which since last July has arrested thousands of people, made freedom of speech impossible, removed lots of public workers from their .jobs, wants to restore the death penalty, suppress women's groups

Journalists are not allowed to report much about real Turkish issues or criticise Erdogan. Loss of tourist revenue will hit many hard, but especially those mentioned, but ultimately may change the way the country is governed if funds dry up from visitors.

I at present would be unsure about visiting Turkey or Istanbul, and would not want another stamp in the passport from here, as 6 months ago when returning on a ferry to UK from Holland the Border police asked as lots of awkward questions about Turkish visas having ins and outs at Ataturk airport and the cruise port, as this has been a way to and from Syria.

But by now visiting , you are supporting the Erdogan regime which since last July has arrested thousands of people, made freedom of speech impossible, removed lots of public workers from their .jobs, wants to restore the death penalty, suppress women's groups

Journalists are not allowed to report much about real Turkish issues or criticise Erdogan. Loss of tourist revenue will hit many hard, but especially those mentioned, but ultimately may change the way the country is governed if funds dry up from visitors.

I at present would be unsure about visiting Turkey or Istanbul, and would not want another stamp in the passport from here, as 6 months ago when returning on a ferry to UK from Holland the Border police asked as lots of awkward questions about Turkish visas having ins and outs at Ataturk airport and the cruise port, as this has been a way to and from Syria.

I'm not sure tourist dollars are propping up Erdogan's regime; he enjoys plenty of support in his own country. And Turkey's economy is far more dependent on agriculture than on tourism.

I personally don't believe boycotts of countries work terribly well as a method of regime change (look at Cuba, for example). And the ones that do end up getting hurt are the tour guides, small hoteliers, and transportation providers who, by contact with visitors, are more likely to be less conservative.

Besides, if we truly were to boycott the countries with whose policies we do not agree, should we travel to Saudi Arabia, which treats women as less than third-class citizens -- it's the WORST country for gender equality. And India is #3 on that same list -- worse than Turkey. Perhaps we should boycott that country as well?

Of course, everyone should do as their conscience tells them. But for myself, the ability to travel to other countries, to actually talk with others and experience first-hand what it's like there, is an important way to increase my understanding and my own world view.

(P.S. Until I just got my new passport, I had stamps from Syria and Lebanon from a 2010 cruise. Yes, you get questions but all that is required is an explanation.)

We are not big fans of Erdogan....but can say the same about many political leaders/regimes all over the world. If we were to let politics dictate our travel habits, we would likely not go far from home. Perhaps what gets forgotten about Erdodan is that, unlike many leaders around the world. he has one several democratic elections. While we do fear for the future of Turkey, we would not hesitate to visit tomorrow. And at least for now, that country does remain a NATO ally.

Hank

We have been to Greece and Turkey numerous times. Among our favourite trips. All independent trips. Air, ferry, rental car, bus...whatever.

On two trips people we know told us how dangerous it was, that there was rioting in the streets etc. No doubt on two visits there had been demonstrations, albeit peaceful and contained to one area. However the people we knew with first hand experience were the ones we depended on for accurate and up to date information. Same with our first visit to Thailand a few years ago. We were warned by people who really did not know anything about the situation not to go. We went....and enjoyed so much we went back in each of the following two years. And we are back for a fourth time this coming winter.

So now we have decided to spend a month or so of our winter trip in the Philippines. Same story. Some people who have never been seem to be telling us how dangerous it is. Others who go often either as tourists or going home to visit friends/relatives offer us a completely different perspective. We have travelled enough and are savvy enough to travel smart....just as we would anywhere else including North America.

I have previously lived in Turkey, Izmir and Istanbul, for a year and a half; traveled all over the country basically west of a north-south line through Ankara; and visited numerous ancient sites, as well as WWI and WWII monuments. The Turkish people I met and stayed with were always gracious and very accommodating.

Istanbul is an ancient and yet very modern city - most fascinating place to visit. We would return in a heartbeat.

We enjoyed wonderful hospitality and low prices for two successive years. Plus, never a problem finding great hotels on a days notice. Fabulous Eastern Med last minute cruise prices. Istanbul, Capadoccia, Marmaris, along to Antalya. Wonderful people, wonderful hospitality. Same in Greece.

Why...because the economy was down AND because TA's in North America as well as the media were creating an false impression of the situation in Greece and Turkey.

We never felt threatened or unsafe. As for the wild hordes....never saw one.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The US State Department got pretty worked up over the coup aftermath and attacks against tourists which were bad. But lately it is hard to argue the safety of tourists is at risk in Istanbul more than anyplace else. We felt when we were there the Turks have organized and competent police departments. State just updated the travel warning web site last week, and it has a lot of history and a few tweaks. I think cruise lines and their insurance carriers do follow this guidance as unlimited lawsuits would result if there was an incident. We want to go back to Turkey right now, preferably by ship. I don't think the waiters and shop owners in Istanbul or other tourist centers voted for President Erdogan, especially the places with a picture of Ataturk prominently displayed.

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/alertswarnings/turkey-travel-warning.html

• 1 month later...

We used a firm for Capadoccia touring. We did our our air reservations, flew into Kayseri. The package included pickup and transfer to Goreme, hotel for a few nights, several tours, and the transfer back to Kayseri. They did a very good job. We flew in from Antalya and flew out to Istanbul.

We have traveled in Turkey several times. By ferry, bus, rental car, air etc. We have never felt unsafe. From our perspective it is no more dangerous that travelling to many US destinations.