One night in Nice before heading to cruise from Monaco, or go straight to Monaco

Mameypeak

In October we'll be flying from NY to Nice arriving 8:45 am on a Sunday. Although the cruise begins monday in Monaco the first night the ship is docked in Monaco.

so, my question is, should we spend the first night in Nice? Or 2 nights in Monaco (one in a hotel, the second on the ship)

I would stay in Nice. It gives you the chance to visit the city. Stroll the flower market and the shore in the evening. It is beautiful and lively. Have a nice dinner. Then return to flower market in the morning. It will be Monday morning when there will be an antiques market instead of the vegetable market. The flowers will still be there. Have coffee and croissants at one of the cafes.

If you are taking a private transfer to Monaco, you can request a one-hour stopover in Eze if interested. Then you can check in and spend the afternoon in Monaco.

Sounds nice. What area of Nice should I look for a hotel?

Any suggestions on private transfer to Monaco?

We like the Hotel Suisse. On the sea. Great views. Right next door to the elevator to the Chateau. Short walking distance to the flower market. The concierge is great if you want him to reserve a restaurant for you for the day you arrive. If you want to look at other hotels, stay in the same area. For one night only you should try to stay as centrally as possible and close to the shore, which means somewhere between the hotels Negresco and La Perouse (which are the two very high priced hotels).

For transfers, check friend-in-france.com

Edited by marazul

Oh my! A night in Nice? We would stay in a decent hotel (The Negresco would be nice) and e-mail the Concierge (a few days in advance) to somehow get us a table in La Merenda (for dinner). And if we had two nights the other dinner might be in Chantecler. As one who really loves traveling in France...we understand our priorities...and its food.

Hank

I would stay a night in Nice over an extra day in Monaco. We stayed 6 days there precruise enjoying carnival and touring the area. We stayed at the Bestwestern Alba on Rue Jean Medicine about 150 yards from the Nice Ville train station and where the airport bus dropped us off. It was a 10 minute walk down a safe street to old town and another 5 to the beach. You could catch the train to Monaco the next morning.

We stayed there in February and it was about $100eu if I remember correctly. There are other Bestwestern hotels in the area but the 2 on rue JM were the most convenient and on a main road with lots of pedestrians.

Pick La Perouse if the prices are similar. It is usually much higher priced than the Hotel Suisse during the Summer high season. They are both excellent hotels and I have stayed in both, but La Perouse is a little notch above in luxury. Plus it has that great rooftop bar and restaurant. I would suggest you book directly on either hotel's website because you normally get better prices and extras. Since they are next door to each other, they are both within easy walking distance to the Flower Market and just around the corner from the port and its many restaurants. If you ask the concierge at either hotel, he should (might?) be able to get you a reservation at La Merenda.

• 2 months later...

We're also spending the night in Nice and planning to take either the train or one of the buses to Monaco. If we take the bus (longer but more scenic), will we be able to get a taxi at the bus stop in Monaco? I know it's a short walk to the pier, but not sure we want to drag our luggage. I assume there are taxis at the train station, correct?

We're also spending the night in Nice and planning to take either the train or one of the buses to Monaco. If we take the bus (longer but more scenic), will we be able to get a taxi at the bus stop in Monaco? I know it's a short walk to the pier, but not sure we want to drag our luggage. I assume there are taxis at the train station, correct?

You will not find a taxi at the bus stop closest to the port. But if you continue into the city, there are other bus stops near major hotels (and taxi stands). You would also have no problem finding a taxi at the train station. You are probably aware that its not a normal practice to hail a taxi on the street. But another option is to call a radio taxi who will come pick you up....but at an increased price.

Hank