Question for past world cruisers on all cruise lines

ijkh

Once saw a couple have a recliner loaded for their WC! They had it shipped to the port as part of the unlimited free luggage shipment program for suite guests .... Then there was the single lady in the next cabin who shipped her luggage home after a 65-day cruise - all 20 suitcases and 2 boxes, and the couple who were going through customs and immigration after our last WC with 8 of those big blue plastic bins with covers plus several suitcases and 4 garment bags. They did dance every evening in stunning outfits and one bin was probably just her shoes. HAL will take your luggage away for storage and return it when you ask for it.

We can do a WC in 4 large rolling duffle bags (or 2 large duffles and 2 large 4-wheel suitcases), plus 2 carry-ons, a large satchel for cameras, Kindles, etc, and sometimes a rolling garment bag. All fits under the beds so we do not have a storage issue.

If you can, we highly recommend a WC. We have almost completely stopped all other cruises in favor of these fantastic cruises due to awesome service, special everything, wonderful ports, excellent (mostly) lecturers, and just all around excellent adventures!

Edited by take us away

• 2 weeks later...

Keeping the thread alive as I've just started planning a WC; probably not until 2018-2020 though. Understand that the iteniaries change every year - but undoubtedly rotate back to the ports I want to visit (I'd like to visit some specific ports in Vietnam and Philippines), as I look at past and projected iteniaries, looks like either Cunard or HAL. Never sailed on either so I'm trying a few HAL voyages to see how I fit in.

..... so I'm trying a few HAL voyages to see how I fit in.

Smart idea, SurferJoe. I am booked on the Crystal Serenity World Cruise 2016. My travel buddy and I took a 5 night cruise last fall to test the waters and get the onboard booking discount.

• 10 months later...
And after a few HALs, we're unbelievably excited about a world cruise.

I'm also looking at a HAL world cruise, hopefully in 2018. I hope you've been following Pete's blog

http://www.theinsidecabin.com

of the 2016 HAL world cruise as it is the most comprehensive WC blog I've read and is proving invaluable for planning - plus it has a link to the 2018 WC itinerary which hasn't been released yet to the general public.

I'm also looking at a HAL world cruise, hopefully in 2018. I hope you've been following Pete's blog

www.theinsidecabin.com

of the 2016 HAL world cruise as it is the most comprehensive WC blog I've read and is proving invaluable for planning - plus it has a link to the 2018 WC itinerary which hasn't been released yet to the general public.

Fantastic..! No, didn't know about Pete's blog - thanks so much!

Fantastic..! No, didn't know about Pete's blog - thanks so much!

On Pete's live thread on the HAL board he has promised that he is going to upload video and more in depth WC planning ideas to theinsidecabin blog once he has better bandwidth.

It's also been great that apart from his blog he has been answering every question asked by CC readers along the way on his live thread and is still open for any questions about world cruising for his wrap up of the cruise.

• 3 weeks later...
On Pete's live thread on the HAL board he has promised that he is going to upload video and more in depth WC planning ideas to theinsidecabin blog once he has better bandwidth.

It's also been great that apart from his blog he has been answering every question asked by CC readers along the way on his live thread and is still open for any questions about world cruising for his wrap up of the cruise.

I will try to find it.

We enjoyed an 87-night Grand Voyage from Tokyo to Southampton last year, then 72-night Circle South America voyage (plus an additional 26 nights under an "extend your voyage" offer...98 nights total). While not true "world cruises" these are pretty close in terms of length and apparel needs for wildly-varying temperatures and weather. The two of us easily had plenty to wear with a total of 2 standard-size checked bags, 1 suit bag and 2 rollaboards. For us, less is more!

• 1 month later...

Disclosure: we were only on the WC for 3 segments (6weeks). However, we did it as part of a whole year's sabbatical, travelling around the world. I packed in one carry-on size duffle bag (plus a small day-size backpack). Yes, I washed clothing regularly, and I replaced things if they got worn. My secret to managing the cruises (we actually took 3 during the year, 6 weeks on Crystal WC, 3 weeks on the Pacific Princess and another 2 weeks on Crystal to the North Cape) was to seek out vintage clothing shops in the departure ports and stock up on formal/cocktail dresses before each cruise (which I then left behind). Way less expensive than shipping extra luggage around the world! I looked pretty good in the pictures too - a couple of the dresses I really regret having to leave! DH managed by having a bespoke Armani suit made in midnight blue in a simple style, which he wore in place of a DJ and had cleaned frequently. He supplemented this with a few dress shirts which got replaced by custom-made ones in places where they can be made inexpensively. Don't understand needing the recliner or the lamp, all the ships we were on had their own furniture!!

Contemplating a world cruise but uncertain of which ship to choose. Pacific Princess seems a bit small. Queen Mary 2 seems to have attractive ports. Any feedback is much appreciated.

I did the World Cruise on the Queen Victoria this year, 120 days and had a suitcase, carry bag and a carry-on bag. I find the Queen Mary a little large for me and the QV was a perfect size, i did a WC blog if you would like to get a feel on a Cunard WC...

http://exitviathegiftshop.blogspot.co.nz

I can recommend the experience of a world cruise to anyone especially now while the world is a very fast changing place.

• 2 months later...

Hello all. We were lucky enough to do a world cruise on Arcadia (101 nights) in 2009. We took 2 large suitcases and 2 carry on's. Used ships laundry.

On arrival back in Southampton, we did see a lady who had to have a porter as well as herself pushing a luggage trolley (one each) must have been at least 10 cases. :)

• 5 months later...

I will be able to take 4 suitcases at no charge, plus 2 carry ons. But my plan is to fill no more than 3 of them and take at least one empty one in order to bring back souvenirs. And near the end of the trip I always throw away my undies. I don't even own alot of clothing and it might be fun to buy new ones on the trip.

what is the use for blue painter's tape?

we are hoping for 1 large suitcase and a carry on but have NO formal nights...resort casual

our itinerary will include french polynesia...should we take snorkel equipment?