Shore Excursions in Western Caribbean- Help

rdubin

Hi,

I'm going on my first RCCL cruise at the end of January to Western Caribbean and could use some advice on accessible shore excursion options. I'm a full time power wheelchair user and cannot transfer. I've looked through the forums and got some great info so far. There's 2 others in my group and I want to make sure we do something they will enjoy too. I'm up to doing some history tours but not too much. I could really use advice on what is accessible in each port or if part of something is but maybe not the whole thing. Like in Jamaica there's Dunns Falls and a couple other places that I'd like to know if there's any possibility I could do or not. Any help/advice would be appreciated. Here's the ports I'm going to.

LABADEE, HAITI

FALMOUTH, JAMAICA

GEORGE TOWN, GRAND CAYMAN

PUERTO COSTA MAYA, MEXICO

ROATAN, HONDURAS

COZUMEL, MEXICO

LABADEE, HAITI - RCCL's private island. There are paved or hard packed sand walkways . However there can be gaps between the pavement at times. The walkways will get you to the BBQ area and most main attractions of the private island. The Artesian Market can be problematic as from my experience it's only about 75% accessible. RCCL provides free beech wheelchairs on a first come first served basis. Depending on the number of ships there that day you make not be able to keep the beach wheelchair for the duration of your time on the Island. An RCCL attendant may instead wheel you to an area and return later to pick you up to bring you back to your own wheelchair.

FALMOUTH, JAMAICA -

Following is from my personal experience.

The area directly outside the port was built new specifically to accommodate the RCCL Oasis Class ships. Therefore accessibility is very good.

Pier

• Long walk to entrance of the main shopping area from ship.
  • Can be a long line waiting to board the ship and there are no seats/benches inside the dock area.

Shopping Area

• Most stores entrances are accessible as you may occasionally find a store that does not have a complete zero threshold entrance
  • Aisle width in stores vary and can be tight to maneuver through

Cabs are not wheelchair accessible

• If a person can transfer to the seat of a van most drivers will work with you to accommodate the scooter or wheelchair if non collapsible.
  • If the Wheelchair folds or the scooter breakdowns than drivers will place it in the trunk of most standard vehicles.

There is a public large wheelchair accessible washroom in the shopping area.

PUERTO COSTA MAYA, MEXICO - http://www.accessiblecaribbeanvacations.com/costa-maya-disabled-access

COZUMEL - http://www.accessiblecaribbeanvacations.com/cozumel-disabled-access

Following from my personal experience :

General information

• Wheelchair ramps can be steeper than ramps in the USA.
  • Stores/Restaurants in the shopping area just outside the pier and in town may have an entry step. Some will have ramps.
  • Once outside the direct pier area you may have to go further down the street to find a driveway or curb cut to cross.
  • Only about 2 accessible taxis on the island so there might be a long wait if your need one.
  • If a person can transfer to the seat of a van most drivers will work with you to accommodate the scooter or wheelchair if non collapsible.
  • If the Wheelchair folds or the scooter breakdowns than drivers will place it in the trunk of most standard vehicles.
  • Be aware of mopeds, motorcycles and bicycles. They’re prevalent and drivers won’t always yield to pedestrians.

GRAND CAYMAN - http://www.accessiblecaribbeanvacations.com/cozumel-disabled-access

Following is from my personal experience

Tender should have roll-on capabilities barring no unforeseen changes. Therefore you can remain in the scooter or wheelchair and drive it on board. However there is always the possibility that water/weather conditions can prohibit the boarding on wheelchair and scooter passengers.

If not going a pre-arranged tour than suggest waiting to go ashore after the line of passengers has minimized. It’s important to note that the tenders cannot accommodate a lot of scooters/wheelchairs at the same time so you may have to wait a little longer than normal to get ashore. Assistance will be provided when boarding the tender with any type of mobility equipment.

General information

There’s a cluster of shops, restaurants and museums within walking distance of the dock.

• Wheelchair ramps can be steeper than ramps in the USA.
  • Stores/Restaurants may have an entry step. Some will have ramps.
  • Once outside the direct pier area you may have to go further down the street to find a driveway or curb cut to cross.

Taxis

• Only a few accessible taxis available and are often booked in advance
  • Older taxis have no meter. Rates are fixed and are posted but be sure to confirm the fare before the cab drives off.
  • New cabs have meters.
  • Most cabs are van size and drivers may require four-passenger minimum before they’ll take you anywhere.
  • If a person can transfer to the seat of a van most drivers will work with you to accommodate the scooter or wheelchair

ROATAN - never been there

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't been to Roatan since they moved the port. Considering the old port was accessible the new one should be better. I just found very little to interest either of us there but I heard that has changed so would also like to hear of others experiences.

Labadee is easy. If she truly cannot be transferred then no worries with the beach wheelchairs. If she can be lifted over a tip up front can do wonders for keeping the chair longer than normal if they are in short supply on your cruise.

When did Grand Cayman redo their dock? Used to be that even if a ship would tender you over the dock had a lot of steps up. I've been skipping even looking at the Western itineraries due to Grand Cayman's total lack of access. If I understand correctly they have a Labadee style floating dock type transfer tender now?

Cozumel, if you can snare one of the roll in/out cabs both Margarittaville and Senor Frogs are accessible. At Frogs they pull out a temporary ramp to get you up the one step. Both also have surprisingly good food if you want to do the "Spring Break" on your own type shore trip. We did at 50 and 62 and had a blast. Do make sure you plan extra time to get back.

• 1 year later...

I am confused about the accessibility at Grand Cayman. When we were there in Feb, I particularly noticed that the local tenders were double decker. We entered on the upper level and it was roll on capable. However the exit was on the lower level, and there was not an elevator or ramp for the wheelchairs, so the person would have to be able to use the stairs to the lower level. And I think there was a step to get off at the dock. EM

Just to note, this thread is from two years ago.

But I will add, we just got back from a cruise that stopped at Grand Cayman. Our tender docked and loaded/unloaded from the top, so no issue with wheelchairs. It seems they have the capability, so I would assume if a scooter rolled on, they would make sure to dock at a bay that can unload from the top.