Best Diving: Amber Cove, Nassau, HMC, or Grand Turk

Pinache

I really want to do two dives. Which two ports would be best? Bf refuses to do the shark dive at Nassau, but reef or sting ray dives are ok. Most interested in dives not super deep (below 60ft) if possible.

Also, which port is best for snorkeling if not a diver?

Grand Turk for diving HMC for snorkeling would be my first choice for each. If you walk down the beach at HMC about a mile there is a wreck just under the surface off the point that is loaded with fish and we have never had anyone else visit it while we were there.

Been thru Amber Cove twice now in the last 6 months. Ships were not offering any dives and but were dive boats sitting in the harbor. However, on both visits, the seas on that coast were wicked and the viz looked awful. Grand Turk would be good for both diving and snorkeling. Have done both there. Half Moon Cay is a private island stop, so if the ship is not offering a dive, you will not find one on shore. HAL offered a 1 tank reef dive there a few years ago and it was OK. It was an easy dive at about 40 ft and gives you a lot of bottom time. I have not seen it offered in a while now. The snorkeling is good there at the tip of the island and south of the main area.

Nassau has some opportunities for diving. My brother and I did a 2 tank trip there in 2015 and we were very surprised by the condition of the reefs. A lot better than we had seen in the Southern Caribbean.

Hope this helps.

• 2 months later...
Grand Turk for diving HMC for snorkeling would be my first choice for each. If you walk down the beach at HMC about a mile there is a wreck just under the surface off the point that is loaded with fish and we have never had anyone else visit it while we were there.

Which direction down the beach from where the tenders drop you off and is/are there any landmark(s) near it?

Thanks

Bob