Picture-A-Week 2017 - Week 26

pierces

Pictures taken between Monday, June 26 and Sunday, July 2.

Week 26 means halfway through the year!

Lots of great shots for 2017, so to the folks who contributed so far...:)

To the folks who haven't posted...:(

(Don't fret there's still six months left to earn a smiley face!)

Dave

Took a quick visit to Farnborough Airport today where the Red Arrows are based for a couple of days. I've always been fascinated by planes and seeing these guys up close left me a little awestruck... so much so I barely remembered how to operate my camera to grab a quick shot!

9313098fc423588031eb740671bba585.jpg

5bb5945d433e58c042f59fa94e325bf0.jpg

On the way home I passed a number of rather gorgeous cars on their way home from Goodwood Festival of Speed. I ended up behind this rather gorgeous McLaren P1... I dread to think what that private numberplate cost!

91345d48b9d8132e072dea1149d9c8d1.jpg

I rarely post a picture of the same subject in the span of the same month but I couldn't resist this shot. Jackie and Matthew's birthdays are three years and a day apart, so they are doomed to share parties for the foreseeable future. Fortunately for them, their mom did an amazing (some would say obsessive) job of providing cakes, goodies, and entertainment for both with no hurt feelings because one was perceived to be more "special". There were many pictures to choose from this week but the look of bliss as a one-year-old takes a bite of her very own Birthday Cupcake is worth the proverbial thousand words...and then some!

Mmmmmmmm...

p2400128310-5.jpg

Dave

Edited by pierces

Lovely flowers, lovely kids...and especially neat to see the chain of volcanic peaks from the air like that...so lucky to be passing over in clear skies (the only time I flew over that way, just the very tops of a few of the peaks were poking out of cotton-thick cloud/fog).

Here are a few of the local animals from the wetlands over the last weekend:

Normally seen in short-neck mode, here's a green heron sticking that retractable neck all the way out:

original.jpg

A basilisk lizard resting on a stump:

original.jpg

Closeup of Mr. Basilisk - look close and you can see me standing along a rail with blue sky and clouds behind me, reflected in his eyeball:

original.jpg

Cattle egret showing off mating colors and fanning out his head plume as he climbs atop a branch for a look around:

original.jpg