back from the Med: Voyager June 1-18

poss

Hi Poss, thanks for all this great reporting of your recent cruise, I'm so glad you had a great time. I was up at the cottage when you first posted, and somehow missed the entire thread! I love your writing style, very entertaining.

I'm envious that you managed 18 days without gaining weight; I certainly didn't manage that last winter and I still am having trouble getting it off. One of my bugbears about cruising--I always seem to end up eating and drinking too much!

I agree about Sorrento, furs840, it is indeed a tender port, and there's no way you could manage Pompeii and Capri in one day! We were there last fall and did Pompeii and loved it (it was an overnight so got to drive the Amalfi Coast as well.)

Hi Poss, thanks for all this great reporting of your recent cruise, I'm so glad you had a great time. I was up at the cottage when you first posted, and somehow missed the entire thread! I love your writing style, very entertaining.

I'm envious that you managed 18 days without gaining weight; I certainly didn't manage that last winter and I still am having trouble getting it off. One of my bugbears about cruising--I always seem to end up eating and drinking too much!

I agree about Sorrento, furs840, it is indeed a tender port, and there's no way you could manage Pompeii and Capri in one day! We were there last fall and did Pompeii and loved it (it was an overnight so got to drive the Amalfi Coast as well.)

Poss and Wendy,

Thanks so much for your input. I've actually been to both Pompeii and Capri already and certainly understand the value in having more time at each place. That said the excision to Pompeii is scheduled to return at 1:15 and it seems that even if it's an hour late I'd still have enough time to take the ferry to Capri and spend some time there. I believe I would prefer this to just getting on the ship ealier. The only issue would be if the Pompeii tour drops off far away from the ferry to Capri. Ship is scheduled to sail at 6pm.

Interesting that you all remember it as a tender port. I'll have to check my itinerary for the Explorer again, but I don't recall them listing it as a tender port. Could certainly make for a tighter schedule.

You're right, I see at least one Explorer itinerary where it's not listed as an "anchor port". Thinking back, it may be that there is room for one (or maybe two) ships to dock? We certainly didn't, and there was at least one of ship anchored as well, but I can't remember what was at the dock, aside from ferries coming and going.

Edited to add that I did a little searching in the "Italy Ports" forum and there are outright statements, plus frequent assumptions, that Sorrento is strictly a tender port. And this website: https://shorebee.com/en/italy/sorrento/port states that it's a tender port.

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer

poss, Thanks for your interesting reports and observations. Hope you have fully recovered from your fall.

Poss and Wendy,

Thanks so much for your input. I've actually been to both Pompeii and Capri already and certainly understand the value in having more time at each place. That said the excision to Pompeii is scheduled to return at 1:15 and it seems that even if it's an hour late I'd still have enough time to take the ferry to Capri and spend some time there. I believe I would prefer this to just getting on the ship ealier. The only issue would be if the Pompeii tour drops off far away from the ferry to Capri. Ship is scheduled to sail at 6pm.

Interesting that you all remember it as a tender port. I'll have to check my itinerary for the Explorer again, but I don't recall them listing it as a tender port. Could certainly make for a tighter schedule.

We also remember Sorrento being a tender port, but being a small port you will not have far to walk to the Capri hydrofoils.

Apart from the tender ride to/from the ship there are a couple of other things to factor into your plans & timings:

1. When you return from Pompeii your coach will drop you at the Sorrento "coach park". Shuttle mini-buses will then transfer you back down the steep hill to the port area (the big coaches cannot get down to the port area). This can lose some time.
  2. If the ship is scheduled to sail at 6pm then 'all-aboard'/last tender will likely be no later than 5:30pm

If you are running late from your Pompeii trip, you could just stay in Sorrento town for an hour or so before returning to the ship (there will be regular shuttle mini-buses allocated to Regent guests running between the town centre and the port)