Need battery carrier for lithium-ion battery

mamasylvia

Victoria2, thanks for your reply. Sounds like you have found a system that works for you, which is the bottom line. May it long continue! So far we haven't had to change planes during a trip, I am not sure if I would stick with the scooter if we did.

Good luck with your search. It's a big expense so finding the best fit for you is important IMNSHO. One other thing that I didn't know about when I bought mine, if your chosen scooter uses a key, and you take the key with you so the scooter can't be started in your absence, it looks like you won't have to remove the lithium-ion battery to fly. A TravelScoot owner said he has to remove his (TS does not use a key, just an on/off switch) and I've never had to remove mine (the Triaxe does use a key). Removing the battery usually isn't a big problem, but it's one more thing to do during a stressful day. Just wanted you to have the information.

One other thing that I didn't know about when I bought mine, if your chosen scooter uses a key, and you take the key with you so the scooter can't be started in your absence,

Though it's always a good idea to remove the key when not in use and pparked in a public area since as while in the MDR. However it's important to note that mobility scooter keys are not unique like car keys. For example all Pride GoGo Keys are th same and will start any model within the Pride GoGo. The applies to the same make/model of other scooter brands. Therefor it's recommended an extra luggage tag be printed and placed on the scooter as well as tie something on it that it immediately signifies to someone that it's not there scooter. For example I tie a bright neon green scarf on mind.

it looks like you won't have to remove the lithium-ion battery to fly. A TravelScoot owner said he has to remove his (TS does not use a key, just an on/off switch) and I've never had to remove mine (the Triaxe does use a key).

That information stated in the post quoted above is incorrect.

The model/make of scooter that has a lithium battery does not determine whether or not the lithium battery doesn't have to be removed. FAA regulations clearly posted on the FAA website specifically state :

" Lithium ion batteries must be removed from this type of mobility device and battery terminals protected from short circuit.
The lithium ion batteries must be carried in carry-on baggage only.
The passenger must advise the airline of the battery location. The airline must notify the Pilot-in-command of the battery location in the cabin
"

There times that the gate agent is inexperience with checking in mobility scooters with lithium batteries an it gets stored in the cargo area of the plane . THough the gate agent did not make Mamasylvia remove the battery it was a direct vioilation of FAA regulations. The gate agent should have been reported for such action. REmoval of the key as Mamasylvia stated on post 12 of this thread did not meet FAA regulations. The gate agent totally screwed up.

Edited by xxoocruiser

Though it's always a good idea to remove the key when not in use and pparked in a public area since as while in the MDR. However it's important to note that mobility scooter keys are not unique like car keys. For example all Pride GoGo Keys are th same and will start any model within the Pride GoGo. The applies to the same make/model of other scooter brands. Therefor it's recommended an extra luggage tag be printed and placed on the scooter as well as tie something on it that it immediately signifies to someone that it's not there scooter. For example I tie a bright neon green scarf on mind.

That information stated in the post quoted above is incorrect.

The model/make of scooter that has a lithium battery does not determine whether or not the lithium battery doesn't have to be removed. FAA regulations clearly posted on the FAA website specifically state :

" Lithium ion batteries must be removed from this type of mobility device and battery terminals protected from short circuit.
The lithium ion batteries must be carried in carry-on baggage only.
The passenger must advise the airline of the battery location. The airline must notify the Pilot-in-command of the battery location in the cabin
"

There times that the gate agent is inexperience with checking in mobility scooters with lithium batteries an it gets stored in the cargo area of the plane . THough the gate agent did not make Mamasylvia remove the battery it was a direct vioilation of FAA regulations. The gate agent should have been reported for such action. REmoval of the key as Mamasylvia stated on post 12 of this thread did not meet FAA regulations. The gate agent totally screwed up.

I don't know if they've been removing it for me before placing the scooter on the plane, but I have never had to remove the battery from my scooter when flying. I just roll right down to the door of the plane and leave the scooter there. They take it and put it on the plane, and it's waiting for me when I get off.

I don't know if they've been removing it for me before placing the scooter on the plane, but I have never had to remove the battery from my scooter when flying. I just roll right down to the door of the plane and leave the scooter there. They take it and put it on the plane, and it's waiting for me when I get off.

If you failed to disclose to the gate agent that you have a lithium battery and or that the gate agent failed to do their job by not asking for the battery type and did not request you remove the battery and carry it on board according to FAA regulation than don't expect the ground crew to know it's a lithium battery and remove it after the fact.

Though you may not think so it is your responsibility to disconnect the battery, remove it and carry it on board to minimize the potential the lithium battery spontaneously combusting while still fully connected and remaining on the scooter while stored in the cargo hold. That responsibility does not default solely to the air carrier.

Payitforward, unfortunately there are people who authoritatively deliver incorrect information. There are numerous regs regarding lithium ion batteries, and they can be confusing. But the bottom line looks, to me, like the regs are designed to prevent fires. In a secure attachment where the device can't be accidentally started, such as one requiring a key, it looks like the battery can travel in the cargo hold, and experienced supervisors have not directed me to remove the battery. In other models where, say, the device can be started without a key, I have heard of the owners being required to remove the battery. I would also make sure a rental scooter battery falls at or below the 300 watt limit for lithium-ion batteries if you want to fly with it. The section for built-in batteries is extremely unclear IMNSHO, and could be used either to permit or deny transporting a scooter with a higher-wattage battery. I was so careful about that limit that when I bought my scooter, I arranged for it to come with the 296-watt "travel battery" instead of the normal higher-capacity battery. And yes, the airline asked me how many watts it was!

Sorry mamasylvia I am NOT trolling you :D

Whenever I see a "rule" like having to remove the lion battery I ask myself "WHY"? most rules are really there for a reason. The Samsung battery fires being a fine example of what an LION battery can do. That being said Why 300 Watts not 180? My guess is that a smaller battery might not do much harm. BUT if that's true then why worry about a samsung phone it can't be more than 2 watts or 10. If it flames it can be very dangerous. If you had a phone in you pocket you'd know if it flamed! Same if your battery flamed in the overhead bins. But no one is in the hold of the plane so they would never know if a spurious or spontaneous fire broke out.

But to be painfully honest I don't know what could contain a 250 watt battery flaming. I am sure the chemical fire extinguishers they have on board should.

So I can't for the life of me understand why the airlines don't make the users of every scooter and powered wheelchair, that has a Lithium Ion batttery (LION), remove the battery every time.

Sorry mamasylvia I am NOT trolling you :D

Whenever I see a "rule" like having to remove the lion battery I ask myself "WHY"? most rules are really there for a reason. The Samsung battery fires being a fine example of what an LION battery can do. That being said Why 300 Watts not 180? My guess is that a smaller battery might not do much harm. BUT if that's true then why worry about a samsung phone it can't be more than 2 watts or 10. If it flames it can be very dangerous. If you had a phone in you pocket you'd know if it flamed! Same if your battery flamed in the overhead bins. But no one is in the hold of the plane so they would never know if a spurious or spontaneous fire broke out.

But to be painfully honest I don't know what could contain a 250 watt battery flaming. I am sure the chemical fire extinguishers they have on board should.

So I can't for the life of me understand why the airlines don't make the users of every scooter and powered wheelchair, that has a Lithium Ion batttery (LION), remove the battery every time.

I have flown with my Travelscoot a few times a year for the past 3 years and I have always been asked to remove the battery. I would do it anyway but it is reassuring that the airline staff mention it as well.

> So I can't for the life of me understand

You really expect to understand government regulation? ;) And I am pretty sure it's an FAA reg, not airline. The airlines just implement the FAA regs, and of course they have a vested interest in not damaging their expensive planes.

That said, from what I have read (and bear in mind I am a nurse, NOT an engineer), it seems that the most risk of a Li battery-caused fire comes when the circuit the battery terminals are connected to close but can't actually do anything, such as a scooter trying to move forward but not able to because they are packed in among other luggage. To be honest, I don't understand why this is a greater danger with a Li battery than, say, a gel cell, but presumably the airline safety engineers understand it.

And don't worry, you aren't the person who continually posts incorrrect information. ;)

> So I can't for the life of me understand

You really expect to understand government regulation? ;) And I am pretty sure it's an FAA reg, not airline. The airlines just implement the FAA regs, and of course they have a vested interest in not damaging their expensive planes.

What's not to understand ?

• 2010 and 2011 lithium batteries spontaneously combusting downed 2 Boeing 747's .One in Dubai and one South Korea killing all crew. No passengers were on board either fight
  • 2013- A Japan Airlines Boeing 787 Dreamliner was grounded at Logan Airport and crew/passengers disembarked when smoke was observed which was discovered to be from an LI Battery spontaneously combusting. No passengers and or crew where injured or killed because the plane was grounded and crew/passengers deplaned prior to take-off
  • If you still don't understand than check out these links regarding FAA testing of LI Batteries
  • http://aviationweek.com/FAAFireSafety
  • http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/video/faa-warning-lithium-batteries-36850373

That said, from what I have read (and bear in mind I am a nurse, NOT an engineer), it seems that the most risk of a Li battery-caused fire comes when the circuit the battery terminals are connected to close but can't actually do anything, such as a scooter trying to move forward but not able to because they are packed in among other luggage. To be honest, I don't understand why this is a greater danger with a Li battery than, say, a gel cell, but presumably the airline safety engineers understand it.

And don't worry, you aren't the person who continually posts incorrrect information. ;)

Again what's not to understand ? Gel Cell batteries and AGM batteries for that matter do not pose the same hazard risk as LI Batteries. Additionally there hasn't been any incidents on board aircrafts or otherwise of Gel Cell and AGM batteries spontaneously combusting causing the potential of a catastrophic fire.

Edited by xxoocruiser

That approach would leave a lot of people acting on incorrect information. One of the benefits of a site like this, IMNSHO, is that when someone does post incorrect information, others can point it out. I benefited beyond words from people sharing their experiences and warning me what to expect in different situations, and if I can pay it forward to others, I will.

• 2 weeks later...

You have to remove the lithium batteries from your mobility device & they go into the plane with you. Lithium batteries are not allowed in cargo. We just use a small carry bag for his 2 lithium batteries ( in a zip top small canvas type bag with carry handle) for his power wheelchair. No big deal .... just be prepared & have a carry bag available to do so ...:)

• 4 weeks later...

My husband uses a Tzora Easy Travel Scooter. He's had it about 2 years...before that we rented one for the ship. He drives it to the gate, I remove the LI battery and put it in our carry-on, then fold up the scooter. One time, we decided to check the scooter with our luggage because we had a tight connection through Reagan (a weird airport for getting around). When we did that, they wrapped the battery up and taped the connectors before giving it to me to put in my carry on. I hope never to have to check the scooter again...came back all scratched up that time, and one other time we checked it with it's cover (soft) and the cover ended up with holes in it. No agent has made us cover the connectors when he drives it to the gate and I put it in our carry-on. I guess carrying some electrical tape is not a bad idea, just in case. (This scooter does use a key.)

Jane

Not sure which airline you may be traveling on, but many passenger aircraft actually have specific compartments for Li-Ion batteries. You can give it to a flight attendant and they will return it to you on arrival. U.S. airlines seem pretty well-versed in this procedures, some of the non-U.S. airlines are not quite as well trained.

I was thinking more for airplane travel. I suspect that the key on mine is what keeps me from having to remove the battery when I fly. With just an on/off switch, something could theoretically turn the Travelscoot on if the battery was in place.