How far in advance to book?

knon24

You bring up an interesting point mamasylvia. Who besides Carnival and HAL have different categories of HC cabin?

> Carnival has recently redefined their accessible cabin categories to make things clearer.

That is wonderful. Sure would be nice if other lines would follow suit.

Only Carnival Cruise Line and Holland America Cruise line have both "Fully Accessible" cabins as well as "Modified Accessible" cabins. Thus the reason that the landmark settlement regarding The United States vs. Carnival Corporation , that I referenced in post # 20 regarding the reclassification of Accessible cabins ,only applies to Carnival Cruise Lines and Holland America Cruise line.

It's important to note Princess and Cunard which are also owned by Carnival Corporation have only "Fully Accessible " cabins thereby reclassification was not required Additionally being that all other cruise lines such as RCCL, Regent, NCL, Celebrity, embarking from a USA port only have "Fully Accessible Cabins" making reclassification not necessary. However if any of the these cruise lines plan to include Modified Accessible Cabins into any future new builds or reconfiguration of current ships than it will be interesting if such reclassification will be require by the Department of Justice based on a legal president as a result of the landmark settlement regarding The United States vs. Carnival Corporation.

Edited by xxoocruiser

We were recently on the Carnival Vista (their newest ship) and the fully accessible HC room was not thought out well. No automatic door opener!!! Two of the three shelves were out of reach for a mobility impaired guest. No place to sit other than the bed and a very low stool with no back. We will stick with Princess and Celebrity!!

My accessible room on Oasis of the Seas didn't have an automatic door either - I think they are the exception rather than the rule. Otherwise it was a very nice balcony room, with enough space for my rented scooter, a small sofa as well as the bed, completely accessible bathroom, and even a little "hill" ramp so I could get my scooter or wheelchair onto the balcony if I had wanted to. Much more convenient than the uncomfortable bump-and-squeeze involved in getting in and out of my non-accessible suite on Norwegian Pearl.

• 2 weeks later...
My accessible room on Oasis of the Seas didn't have an automatic door either - I think they are the exception rather than the rule. Otherwise it was a very nice balcony room, with enough space for my rented scooter, a small sofa as well as the bed, completely accessible bathroom, and even a little "hill" ramp so I could get my scooter or wheelchair onto the balcony if I had wanted to. Much more convenient than the uncomfortable bump-and-squeeze involved in getting in and out of my non-accessible suite on Norwegian Pearl.

Harmony of the seas to the Med last fall and have a handicap accessible room. I think about it I don't recall having a push button door on my cabin I don't know if any of The room had automatic door opener's.

Harmony of the seas to the Med last fall and have a handicap accessible room. I think about it I don't recall having a push button door on my cabin I don't know if any of The room had automatic door opener's.

Only RCCL's Radiance Class ships and Vision Class ship have accessible cabins with automatic door buttons.

xxoocruiser,

We were on the Jewel of the seas (which is a Radiance class ship) i had an inside HC Cabin which (as you had said) had automatic doors and they were a huge help. Also the HC Cabin was huge, and the room steward was also handicapped. Which I thought was really cool. He and I had a lot of talks, I think RCCL should be commended, yes I did send them a letter. :cool:

xxoocruiser,

We were on the Jewel of the seas (which is a Radiance class ship) i had an inside HC Cabin which (as you had said) had automatic doors and they were a huge help. Also the HC Cabin was huge, and the room steward was also handicapped. Which I thought was really cool. He and I had a lot of talks, I think RCCL should be commended, yes I did send them a letter. :cool:

ProfessorEFFE

The inside accessible cabins on RCCL's Radiance Class Ships are by far the largest of all its ships. Usually select 4017 though visited 2023 which appears to be even larger . 4017 is so large that had 4 of in the cabin one afternoon all of which had mobility scooters including me and there still was plenty of extra room !

It was nice that you since the letter to RCCL regarding the cabin steward .

xxoocruiser,

ProfessorEFFE

The inside accessible cabins on RCCL's Radiance Class Ships are by far the largest of all its ships. Usually select 4017 though visited 2023 which appears to be even larger . 4017 is so large that had 4 of in the cabin one afternoon all of which had mobility scooters including me and there still was plenty of extra room !

It was nice that you since the letter to RCCL regarding the cabin steward .

This is really great to know. I had wondered how spacious the inside HC cabins were, knowing that regular inside cabins are much smaller than other cabins.