Urgent - delayed flight day of cruise - advice

Hi I am sure they will know. If you have a Regent transfer from airport to hotel or ship as included they will have a list of flights they are meeting at airport and will be up to date with the arrival times and schedules.

Hope you are not delayed too long and all goes well. Keep us posted. Jean.

Ps they always have a clip board with the list of guests names that they are meeting.

If you did your air through Regent, yes, they will know. If you did your own air, no. If you are significantly delayed (enough to miss sailing time), they won't wait for you either way. It is your problem to get your self to the next port.

Fortunately, I have never missed an embarkation, but I know people who have. Not a good spot to be in. On our last Alaska cruise, there was a couple with their luggage waiting to board in Ketchikan (3rd day of the cruise and the first port we visited after Vancouver), so I guess their flight had been delayed.

Please keep us posted. Hope all turns out well.

Some advice to everyone-

Never fly on the sailing day, no matter where you are going.

Fly the day before, at least, and do an overnight at the port area.

So much money for a cruise- spend a little more for your protection against this happening to you.

Some advice to everyone-

So much money for a cruise- spend a little more for your protection against this happening to you.

Amen! couldn't agree more.

Some advice to everyone-

Agree, we go 2 to 3 days ahead-why have the worry, plus you're well rested for the cruise.

Rick

Our cruise documents have an Emergency Hotline but am not sure if it associated with Regent or my TA but it worth a try:

After hours emergency air assistance

Inside the United States 800-285-1835 and promo #7

Outside the United States 954-776-6123 and prompt #7

Hope that this helps and that you make it to the ship safely and on time!

The "outside the U.S." number is a Regent contact number here in Broward County in south Florida. Good luck and keep us posted.

Z and TB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The good news is that the flight I think the OP was on arrived in Vancouver only about 45 minutes late. So the OP should have no problem getting on his cruise.

The potential bad news is that, had the OP missed embarking in Vancouver, the Passenger Vessel Services Act (PVSA) would have prevented embarkation in any Alaskan port because doing so would have resulted in a cruise between two US ports without visiting a distant foreign port. Canadian ports are classified as nearby foreign ports. Rachael's example of a couple boarding in Ketchikan was possible because their cruise must have ended in Vancouver.

The pitfalls of the PVSA make arriving in the embarkation port at least a day early a necessity IMHO.

Poss, assuming that the OP was flying from a NY airport, I used an app called Flightradar24 to get flight information. Regarding the PVSA, I've read about it extensively. Just enough to be dangerous. :D

The good news is that the flight I think the OP was on arrived in Vancouver only about 45 minutes late. So the OP should have no problem getting on his cruise.

The potential bad news is that, had the OP missed embarking in Vancouver, the Passenger Vessel Services Act (PVSA) would have prevented embarkation in any Alaskan port because doing so would have resulted in a cruise between two US ports without visiting a distant foreign port. Canadian ports are classified as nearby foreign ports. Rachael's example of a couple boarding in Ketchikan was possible because their cruise must have ended in Vancouver.

The pitfalls of the PVSA make arriving in the embarkation port at least a day early a necessity IMHO.

Glad you are on our cruise - Explorer- - Transatlantic. Look forward to meeting the man who has all the information at his fingertips. And, I am serious. Any problems, I will reach out for your help.

Sheila

You are correct. Our cruise began and ended in Vancouver, and visited prince Rupert and Victoria as well.

We were delayed over an hour and a half and the information was slow in coming to us. I was a mess. I have never flown in the same day but regent handled that. I would have preferred the day before. The pilot made great time. There's so much that can go wrong. They swapped planes but that took time. I met alot of people today that had delayed flights and cancelled flights and one couple with no luggage. I will say that once we got here. I couldn't ask for anything more. I did try calling that number, option 7. It didn't go through. I tried other options too. One said offices were closed, another had me on hold over 10 minutes. I'm too old for this! Thank you everyone for your input. Unfortunately (or rather fortunately) my phone was off and I couldn't check messages during the flight. You'd thinking with all the nervousness I could have lost a few pounds! NOT.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

The potential bad news is that, had the OP missed embarking in Vancouver, the Passenger Vessel Services Act (PVSA) would have prevented embarkation in any Alaskan port because doing so would have resulted in a cruise between two US ports without visiting a distant foreign port. Canadian ports are classified as nearby foreign ports. Rachael's example of a couple boarding in Ketchikan was possible because their cruise must have ended in Vancouver..........

But it is not that the passenger is Prohibited from boarding and the penalty is relatively minor for violations:

""46 U.S.C. § 55103(b), provides in pertinent part that the penalty for violating the PVSA is $300 for each passenger transported and landed""

J

We were delayed over an hour and a half and the information was slow in coming to us. I was a mess. I have never flown in the same day but regent handled that. I would have preferred the day before. The pilot made great time. There's so much that can go wrong. They swapped planes but that took time. I met alot of people today that had delayed flights and cancelled flights and one couple with no luggage. I will say that once we got here. I couldn't ask for anything more. I did try calling that number, option 7. It didn't go through. I tried other options too. One said offices were closed, another had me on hold over 10 minutes. I'm too old for this! Thank you everyone for your input. Unfortunately (or rather fortunately) my phone was off and I couldn't check messages during the flight. You'd thinking with all the nervousness I could have lost a few pounds! NOT.

Glad to hear you arrived in Vancouver and are now onboard Navigator. Have a great cruise and enjoy. Jean.

Glad you made it in time for your cruise. Keep in mind that even though the cruise line makes the flight arrangements, you can always pay a small deviation fee if you want to go a day or two early. We rarely make our flight arrangements through the cruise line but when we do we pay the deviation fee so that we can arrive at least a day early and most of the time we make it 2 days early so that we can spend some time in the embarkation city and not have to worry about flight delays and missing the ship. Enjoy the cruise.

Some advice to everyone-

This.

On our first cruise back in '09, we flew into Nice the day of departure. Although we made it to the ship in time to settle in, we felt rushed and didn't get to see Monte Carlo at all. We've flown in at least a day in advance every cruise since then.

newyorker123, Glad to hear you made it to the ship in time despite a stressful journey. Hope you are now fully relaxed and enjoying your cruise.

Regent will very occasionally delay departure, depending on the nature of the flight delays, number of guests affected and sailing time required to the next port.

During our holiday cruise on Voyager last December, departure from Singapore was delayed by some hours as a number of flights were delayed by severe thunderstorms (including the charter flight bringing guests from their 3 day pre-cruise experience). No problem getting a table in any of the restaurants that evening!

But it is not that the passenger is Prohibited from boarding and the penalty is relatively minor for violations:

""46 U.S.C. § 55103(b), provides in pertinent part that the penalty for violating the PVSA is $300 for each passenger transported and landed""

J

Good catch. :o What I should have said is that the OP might have been prevented from embarking in any Alaskan port by Regent due to the PVSA. The penalty, while minor monetarily, is assessed against the cruise line, not the passenger. Violations of the PVSA undoubtedly have to be reported to the CBP by a cruise line requiring extra paperwork. The cruise line has to decide whether to absorb the fine, apply for a waiver, or pay the fine and charge the passenger.

My memory is that CBP does not take continued violations of the PVSA lightly. I vaguely remember reading about one of the mainstream lines temporarily losing the ability to transport passengers on a route because of what was perceived as abusive violations of the PVSA. If CBP did not have a stick beyond the $300 fine, IMO, you would see violations of the PVSA left and right.

As I said above, I know enough about the PVSA to be dangerous. Always remember that legal advice is usually worth what you pay for it. :)

Glad you are on our cruise - Explorer- - Transatlantic. Look forward to meeting the man who has all the information at his fingertips. And, I am serious. Any problems, I will reach out for your help.

Sheila

Looking forward to meeting you, Sheila.

Glad you made it and that all is well.

We always do our own air, and fly in at least a day in advance for just this reason. Twice we have been significantly delayed, and once almost missed sailing, even with that precaution. So if regent is doing your air, it is worth the deviation fee just for more peace of mind.