Seattle public transportation to Pier 91?

tafische

So we are staying right near the Needle for a few days before a Carnival cruise out of Pier 91. The bus stop is right outside our place and goes right to the Pier bus stop with just 9 stops.

Anyone done this? Looks like a quick easy ride, but I don't want to lug suitcases all over the place. Are there Porters right near the bus stop? If not, I am going to take an Uber/Taxi - this just looked pretty easy.

No, taking the bus to Pier 91 is very complicated and involves a long walk - up and down stairs included - through a very trafficky and dismal area. You're far better off taking a cab or Uber.

I've never seen a bus go right up to the terminal. Does it tell you the bus will put you right at the terminal or across the street? After you leave the main road that runs from the Space Needle to the Terminal the Cabs/Uber have to exit and go over a super long overpass and to the terminal probably about a half a mile. I would say Uber will be your best bet

The bus stop is up on the Magnolia Bridge (West Garfield). Coming from downtown direction there is a stairway down under the bridge at one end of the fish warehouse loading dock. There are signs indicating Stairway to Cruise Terminal. Once down it is about 1/3 mile to the terminal via roads likely to have a lot of cruise related traffic.

I've actually done it. As recently as May.

The bus stop is at the top of a stairway that probably drops you about 40 feet down to the pavements. There is a parking shuttle bus stop close to there that will take you in to the terminal - it's a marked stop for them, it's not a special favor. You can also walk along a marked pedestrian path; it's roughly a quarter mile to the terminal door walking.

That Metro route is not particularly crowded at the normal times of day for boarding, but the specific buses they use on that route will not have a lot of space for luggage, especially unusually big suitcases, and there will be a couple of big steps up.

For two people, the difference in fare for an UberX will be about $6.

Uber is really easy... just look at how much luggage you have. Some of the regular Uber cars are quite small. We had to cancel one when it showed up for 3 of us... before we even thought of that issue. If more than 2 adults, I suggest getting an UberSuv or UberBlack since they are bigger.

That Metro route is not particularly crowded at the normal times of day for boarding, but the specific buses they use on that route will not have a lot of space for luggage, especially unusually big suitcases, and there will be a couple of big steps up.

Metro was certainly one of the last to go to flat-floor and low-floor buses, but they're making the switch very aggressively now. We took the Metro from Pier 91 to downtown and then the ST550 to Bellevue; both were low/flat-floor buses. We did fine with bags for a two-night voyage, though we'd never survive with our typical load for a seven-night Alaska cruise. ;)

Sounds like Uber is the best bet - and I don't mind paying for it, I just wanted what was easy and convenient. Too bad they don't have a Porter and luggage collection right at the public transpiration drop-off. Looks like overall they have a pretty good system out there in Seattle for getting around.