Questions re public transport Auckland with suitcase

I'll be flying into Auckland a day before my cruise in December, and am wondering how difficult it would be to use the bus or train to get from airport to hotel/B&B and between hotel/B&B and central business district and cruise port.

I am looking at lodging options in Ponsonby and Mt. Eden that say they are very convenient to bus/train...but is that really a reasonable option for me? I'm in my mid-50s and though I'm reasonably fit I'll be traveling solo with a big roller suitcase and a smaller roller case for my laptop etc. and I'm sure my big suitcase will be right up at the airline's 50 lb. limit--so not easy to lift up bus steps etc.

Though the options for a hotel near the port are much more expensive, noisier and less appealing to me, if it is just not practical to stay in the suburbs I will bite the bullet and stay near the port. Or, I could get a shuttle or taxi between the airport/hotel and hotel/port but stay in the suburbs.

Can anyone with experience with any of this give me some advice? Thanks in advance!

I'll be flying into Auckland a day before my cruise in December, and am wondering how difficult it would be to use the bus or train to get from airport to hotel/B&B and between hotel/B&B and central business district and cruise port.

I am looking at lodging options in Ponsonby and Mt. Eden that say they are very convenient to bus/train...but is that really a reasonable option for me? I'm in my mid-50s and though I'm reasonably fit I'll be traveling solo with a big roller suitcase and a smaller roller case for my laptop etc. and I'm sure my big suitcase will be right up at the airline's 50 lb. limit--so not easy to lift up bus steps etc.

Though the options for a hotel near the port are much more expensive, noisier and less appealing to me, if it is just not practical to stay in the suburbs I will bite the bullet and stay near the port. Or, I could get a shuttle or taxi between the airport/hotel and hotel/port but stay in the suburbs.

Can anyone with experience with any of this give me some advice? Thanks in advance!

unfortunately Auckland does not have a train option to the airport....its a sore point with us., but there are excellent shuttles that will bring you into the CBD. Ponsonby would be a better bet than Mount Eden, its very close to the port and full of bars restaurants and more entertainment than you could shake a stick at. We have quite a few b and bs in Ponsonby and freemans bay and also the Quest apartments which is also an apartment option if you are looking for one. Ponsonby/Freemans Bay is also the closest suburb to the port, in fact, living in ponsonby myself I have occasionally walked down to the port with my bags...tis very close.

Hope you have a great stay in Auckland best little suburb.

Uber is also a good option incase you haven't considered it.