Transportation from Hartford,CT to NYC Cruise Terminal

dek190

• 2 weeks later...

We're in Middletown and used to drive to the pier in New York but it's $35 a day now! We're taken Metro North out of New Haven (Amtrak is more $). If you buy your tix on their website round trip is about $30 each. You can also buy them at the train station for same cost. The only glitch buying them on line is that they actually mail the tix...we're just going to get them at the station. Have a great trip!

Just took a ride down to Union Station in New Haven to get a feel for how it's going to be Friday. I was still worried about the luggage but its not a problem at all. Plenty of room - the people we saw had a lot more luggage than we do. Easy off 91-south at exit 1, just keep following to the right. Plenty of parking areas if you're leaving your car there. Bought two roundtrip tix for total of $62 and they're for whatever time you want- trains leave about every 15 min or so.

I had looked at the bus from Hartford but you're locked into times and not knowing exactly when we'll get off the ship, if you don't make the bus time your ticket says, they will charge you another $20 each.

So relieved!

Edited by cometsmom

Good afternoon,

just a quick follow up question...is it a problem parking at the train statin for the week you are gone?

We are from Springfield and usually drive and park at the pier but taking the train in Ocotober may be an interesting alternative.

And a second question -- we will be cruising in December...would the train be a good bet -- meaning what about if it is bad weather -- snow, etc... as you can see not familiar with train travel at all.

DH would like to know if the parking area is secure.

Thanks

Edited by agargoyle

Good afternoon,

just a quick follow up question...is it a problem parking at the train statin for the week you are gone?

We are from Springfield and usually drive and park at the pier but taking the train in Ocotober may be an interesting alternative.

And a second question -- we will be cruising in December...would the train be a good bet -- meaning what about if it is bad weather -- snow, etc... as you can see not familiar with train travel at all.

Thanks

There were plenty of parking lots (didn't notice the cost) but if you Google Union Station, New Haven it will give you their rates by day, week, etc. I believe the lots are patrolled and secure. We used to drive to the pier as well but it's too expensive when you compare to Metro North.

Sorry I forgot your second question about the winter weather-I don't believe normal winter weather effects the rails but I'm sure if you call Metro North they can give you more info. The two people I talked to were really informative and patient with my many questions!

I used Metronorth for many years as a daily commuter. While there is always an outside chance of equipment problems, wires down, etc, there are rarely significant weather delays - and advance weather reports should give you a heads up. If you are seriously concerned, you ahould follow the old rule of getting to the port the day before- take in a show, or just check out the city.

"If you are seriously concerned, you ahould follow the old rule of getting to the port the day before- take in a show, or just check out the city."

I would do thisif it were jus tmy husband and I but work schedule for my son who is coming makes it impossible.

Not really worried if the weather is bad -- may do car because there are so many routes to take from Springfield to NY pier that you can always find an open route. Just concerned with the train...once on it if you stop -- that is it.

We have time to consider since the cruise is in December and we can always do a proactice run when we cruise in October.

Thanks for the anwers.

We are looking at these same options as we live just north of Springfield. It looks like parking in new haven is $18/day. Do you know what the taxi cost is? While I don't want to pay $280 to park at the pier, it seems like this option is not all that much cheaper.

I was faced with the same issue coming from Massachusetts. We decided that we would book the Academy bus through the cruiseline. A word of advice...

DON'T

After leaving in plenty of time, the bus driver got lost (just after noon) in NYC and we were still trying to get to the ship at 3pm. The driver wouldn't pull over so we could get cabs and I had to call several people several times to get them to hold the ship for us. (We were literally the last ones on and walked on luggage and all during the muster drill).

Sorry I don't have an alternative but I didn't want you to face the same situation we did.

D

fyi free parking is available at most shore line east stops

http://www.shorelineeast.com/index.php

This connects with the commuter trains to Grand Central or Amtrak(more expensive) to Manhattan and then a less than $15 cab ride to the Manhattan Cruise terminal. personally I would park at Old Saybrook probably the safest lot(where you should park is marked. I wouldn't park my jaguar-which I don't have anyway- there for a week.)

Shore Line east is nominally more expensive than New Haven but free parking has its advantage.

http://www.cttransit.com/tripplanner/ if you consider using Bradley as a place to park your car.

Edited by smeyer418

H-m-m This sounds nice! However, there's no problem with parking there for a week? How is the storage on these trains (since we will each have a suitcase and some type of carry-on bag)? Just wish it wasn't so expensive to park at the pier b/c is it SO convenient! Guess we'll have to weigh our options -convenience vs. savings.

Does anyone have any suggestions on easiest and cheapest way to get to NYC Cruise Terminal on a Sunday to Sunday. We used Amtrak 2 years ago.

JMHO, drive. From Windsor Locks, I was at the Manhattan Cruise Terminal in a little over 2 hours. In fact, when we returned, we did a self disembark; and 2 hours 10 minutes after loading the suitcases in my car I was pulling in my driveway. People on the roll call in Mass who used other means of transportation didn't reach home until mid to late afternoon.

I know people object to the price of parking, I just look at as part of the cost of the cruise. Save money by getting a lower category cabin.

You can't beat the convenience, and no schlepping around with your suitcases.

SBtS

• 3 years later...
looking for current info from anyone regarding rides from Rocky Hill, Ct to Manhattan pier Sept 10-17. Two people willing to share expense of limo also. i

A couple of suggestions. You've posted on a thread that's been inactive for nearly four years. You might get a better response by starting a new thread with a title that exactly addresses the particular questions you're asking. You also might want to join the Roll Call for the cruise you're taking and ask there because you may very well find someone from your area who is also interested in what you want.

• 2 weeks later...