Something great to do while in Seattle--FOOD TOUR!

DrKoob

Just posted this on another website and thought that hey--everyone on CC needs to know about it as well. We had friends in town pre-Solstice to Alaska cruise in June and since we had previously taken a tour with Savor Seattle Food tours. But since they have many different tours, when friends were coming from the UK pre-cruise we decided to take them on their Pike Place Market Tour and this time wound up with Judson as our guide. We really didn't think we could get any better than Justin our previous guide from their Booze and Bites tour, but Judson proved us wrong.

Tour started in the Market Theatre behind the Gum Wall and our first stop was Daily Dozen Donuts. Not incredible but certainly OK. Kind of wasted calories as they are just donuts. Then on to Ellenos Greek Yogurt and WOW! I could eat there all day. Great samples. This was followed by Pike Place Chowder (really delicious), Chukar Cherry (so good we went back and bought some more), Beecher's Cheese (my favorite of the day...got cheese curds, Flagship cheddar and OMG--Mac and Cheese), Piroshky-Piroshky (yummy) and finished up at a Tom Douglas joint, Ettas.

All I can say is that we had a TON of food (don't eat breakfast or make plans for dinner), learned a bunch about the Market (we live here and have been there hundreds of times) that we didn't know and were thoroughly entertained and fed.

We can't wait to go back and do another tour with Savor Seattle. Judson...and Justin are both super. PS: You get a bunch of freebies too.

If you are looking for something to do pre or post cruise in Seattle, this is it.

Thanks for posting this, as it is a tour I was looking into. What time of day did you go? I've heard it's best to go early in the morning to avoid crowds, but I think I might enjoy the tastings more a little later in the day.

Just checked their website. Did you go on the regular tour of the VIP early tastings?

Thanks for posting this, as it is a tour I was looking into. What time of day did you go? I've heard it's best to go early in the morning to avoid crowds, but I think I might enjoy the tastings more a little later in the day.

Our tour this time (The Pike Place Market Food Tour) started at 11:00 and finished around 1:30. When we did our other tour with Savor Seattle, it was a Booze and Bites tour that included drinks so we started that one at 4:30 pm.

The market is always better with a crowd. And we didn't have any major problems getting around. The guides are fantastic in controlling the crowds.

Our tour this time (The Pike Place Market Food Tour) started at 11:00 and finished around 1:30. When we did our other tour with Savor Seattle, it was a Booze and Bites tour that included drinks so we started that one at 4:30 pm.

The market is always better with a crowd. And we didn't have any major problems getting around. The guides are fantastic in controlling the crowds.

This is our first trip to Seattle, and everything I've read has advised going early to beat the crowds. Interesting thought that crowds make the market better. Does it just make it more fun that way?

Do the guides make recommendations for restaurants for dinner? We love to eat seafood and Italian. Thanks, again, for your advice!

This is our first trip to Seattle, and everything I've read has advised going early to beat the crowds. Interesting thought that crowds make the market better. Does it just make it more fun that way?

Do the guides make recommendations for restaurants for dinner? We love to eat seafood and Italian. Thanks, again, for your advice!

The only time you can really beat the crowds at the market in the summer is before 8:00. No one is there then. But neither are the guys throwing fish, or the farmers giving out samples.

They will make recommendations for dinner. So will I. One of the best places for seafood is the last stop on the tour, Etta's. For Italian in the Market, try The Pink Door. For Italian in South Lake Union, try Cuoco.

PS: I almost forgot. You must have missed my note about my, "My Seattle" website that I put together for cruising friends (of which you are now one :D). You can find it by CLICKING HERE. It has a bunch of recommendations for eating, staying and doing with maps and more.

Great web site. Maybe put a link for it in the Seattle FAQ thread at the top of West Coast board. Also on the Doing page EMP could be updated to MoPop which will make it easier for people to spot on the Seattle tourism maps. Wish I would have checked out the dining before our "let's pretend to be tourists" day on July 3rd. ;)

Great web site. Maybe put a link for it in the Seattle FAQ thread at the top of West Coast board. Also on the Doing page EMP could be updated to MoPop which will make it easier for people to spot on the Seattle tourism maps. Wish I would have checked out the dining before our "let's pretend to be tourists" day on July 3rd. ;)

Thanks! I will do that and you can always come back. BTW: We are headed to Victoria on the Black Ball at the end of August. Aren't leaving Port Angeles until 5ish in the afternoon. What's the best place for lunch in Sequim?

Jim

PS: I almost forgot. You must have missed my note about my, "My Seattle" website that I put together for cruising friends (of which you are now one :D). You can find it by CLICKING HERE. It has a bunch of recommendations for eating, staying and doing with maps and more.

Oh my gosh, your website is great! Thank you so much!

We're going to sign up for the food tour, based on your recommendation. Can't wait!

That Seattle Food Tour sounds like it should be renamed Pike Place Market Food Tour - I can think of so many other great spots in Seattle to eat. Granted, you'd need transportation of some form to facilitate them. Ivar's Salmon House sits on the north end of Lake Union, with a great view of the Space Needle (I highly recommend the Salmon Sampler, as it's a great way to compare three different varieties of Salmon, but any of the Alder wood smoked salmon dishes are phenomenal and honestly the whole menu is top-notch). Or, a mile north of Pier 91 is Chinook, right on the Fisherman's Terminal. It's part of the Anthony's family but a lot more casual and a fantastic menu at what I consider to be reasonable prices. Those are my two hot choices but this is Seattle, folks, there are just tons of great choices (and very few poor choices - they just don't survive around here).

That Seattle Food Tour sounds like it should be renamed Pike Place Market Food Tour - I can think of so many other great spots in Seattle to eat. Granted, you'd need transportation of some form to facilitate them. Ivar's Salmon House sits on the north end of Lake Union, with a great view of the Space Needle (I highly recommend the Salmon Sampler, as it's a great way to compare three different varieties of Salmon, but any of the Alder wood smoked salmon dishes are phenomenal and honestly the whole menu is top-notch). Or, a mile north of Pier 91 is Chinook, right on the Fisherman's Terminal. It's part of the Anthony's family but a lot more casual and a fantastic menu at what I consider to be reasonable prices. Those are my two hot choices but this is Seattle, folks, there are just tons of great choices (and very few poor choices - they just don't survive around here).

Love these recommendations. Thank you!

The only time you can really beat the crowds at the market in the summer is before 8:00. No one is there then. But neither are the guys throwing fish, or the farmers giving out samples.

They will make recommendations for dinner. So will I. One of the best places for seafood is the last stop on the tour, Etta's. For Italian in the Market, try The Pink Door. For Italian in South Lake Union, try Cuoco.

Added to my list. Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

We had a great dinner at Chinook last night. Enjoyed grilled halibut and baked prawns. Delicious food in a beautiful setting. We strolled around for a short time afterwards and saw the fisherman's memorial, which was quite moving with the recent loss of the Destination and her crew.

Thank you for the recommendation!

Just posted this on another website and thought that hey--everyone on CC needs to know about it as well. We had friends in town pre-Solstice to Alaska cruise in June and since we had previously taken a tour with Savor Seattle Food tours. But since they have many different tours, when friends were coming from the UK pre-cruise we decided to take them on their Pike Place Market Tour and this time wound up with Judson as our guide. We really didn't think we could get any better than Justin our previous guide from their Booze and Bites tour, but Judson proved us wrong.

Tour started in the Market Theatre behind the Gum Wall and our first stop was Daily Dozen Donuts. Not incredible but certainly OK. Kind of wasted calories as they are just donuts. Then on to Ellenos Greek Yogurt and WOW! I could eat there all day. Great samples. This was followed by Pike Place Chowder (really delicious), Chukar Cherry (so good we went back and bought some more), Beecher's Cheese (my favorite of the day...got cheese curds, Flagship cheddar and OMG--Mac and Cheese), Piroshky-Piroshky (yummy) and finished up at a Tom Douglas joint, Ettas.

All I can say is that we had a TON of food (don't eat breakfast or make plans for dinner), learned a bunch about the Market (we live here and have been there hundreds of times) that we didn't know and were thoroughly entertained and fed.

We can't wait to go back and do another tour with Savor Seattle. Judson...and Justin are both super. PS: You get a bunch of freebies too.

If you are looking for something to do pre or post cruise in Seattle, this is it.

We took this tour with Judson this morning, and absolutely loved it! Fascinating history of the market, and a wonderful variety of delicious tastings. The Greek yogurt and mac and cheese were to die for! The only thing I would do differently next time is bring a baggie to save some of the food for later. As it is we "forced" ourselves to eat every bite on the spot, but would have enjoyed saving a few things like the cherries to savor later. Oh, and some hand wipes or extra napkins would be good too.

Thanks for the great recommendation! It has been a highlight of our trip thus far.

We took this tour with Judson this morning, and absolutely loved it! Fascinating history of the market, and a wonderful variety of delicious tastings. The Greek yogurt and mac and cheese were to die for! The only thing I would do differently next time is bring a baggie to save some of the food for later. As it is we "forced" ourselves to eat every bite on the spot, but would have enjoyed saving a few things like the cherries to savor later. Oh, and some hand wipes or extra napkins would be good too.

Thanks for the great recommendation! It has been a highlight of our trip thus far.

I am so glad to hear that! We bought a bunch of the Chukar Cherries. We loved the dark chocolate ones that go with deep red wine. They really do. Have to get back down there and get some more.

And one of the best things was the Greek Yogurt and I can get that brand right across the street from our home. Almost dangerous. :D

If you reread the original post you will see that nowhere is it called a Seattle Food Tour. It's called the Plke Place Market food tour. The company is called Savor Seattle. They really can't add the places you mention to their tours because they are walking tours and that would be a little far to walk, don't you think?

I am so glad to hear that! We bought a bunch of the Chukar Cherries. We loved the dark chocolate ones that go with deep red wine. They really do. Have to get back down there and get some more.

And one of the best things was the Greek Yogurt and I can get that brand right across the street from our home. Almost dangerous. :D

It's a good thing we can't get it at home. Anything that tastes THAT good can't be good for you, at least in large quantities! (No one asked the calorie content, but it tasted like a dessert!)

It's a good thing we can't get it at home. Anything that tastes THAT good can't be good for you, at least in large quantities! (No one asked the calorie content, but it tasted like a dessert!)

We're thinking of ordering some of the cherries to be mailed home as gifts. We also liked the chocolate honey pecans.

If you reread the original post you will see that nowhere is it called a Seattle Food Tour. It's called the Plke Place Market food tour. The company is called Savor Seattle. They really can't add the places you mention to their tours because they are walking tours and that would be a little far to walk, don't you think?

The title of the thread is "Something great to do while in Seattle--FOOD TOUR!". So yes, the thread advertised that it's a Seattle tour, not a Pike Place Market-specific tour. The thread did not say that it was a walking tour, just a tour.

I live here (Duvall, near you in Redmond), and when out of town guests come, we take them on a tour. That inevitably includes Chinook, Ivar's Salmon House, or both. Mkay?