Grand Lucayan or Gold Rock Beach

GS92

In Freeport in early August. We dock at 12 and leave at 7 so somewhat odd hours. Trying to decide between day passes at Grand Lucayan or renting a car and doing our own thing including Gold Rock Beach. Me, wife,16 and 11 YO daughters.

Since we don't dock until 12 is there a concern all day passes at the resort would be sold out? Is it worth the cost given that we probably could get there by 1:00 at the earliest?

Low tide at Gold Rock looks like not long after we dock so it looks like we could hit it just right. And we are doing Atlantis the next day so this would be something different. I guess I'm just a little wary of being completely on our own in a rental car.

Opinions are greatly appreciated. However, don't say stay on the boat. While I certainly understand those thoughts, we are using the cruise as a means of transportation to visit the islands.

Thanks in advance!

I recommend renting a car, visiting Lucayan National Park (not Grand Lucayan resort) and visiting Gold Rock Beach. The park is very interesting and the underwater cavern system is one of the longest in the world. Gold Rock Beach is void of the tourist crowds at the resorts. We had the entire beach to ourselves one afternoon.

Is there a rental car company close to the port?

I recommend renting a car, visiting Lucayan National Park (not Grand Lucayan resort) and visiting Gold Rock Beach. The park is very interesting and the underwater cavern system is one of the longest in the world. Gold Rock Beach is void of the tourist crowds at the resorts. We had the entire beach to ourselves one afternoon.

I believe Island Jeep and Car Rental is the only one at the port. The others are at the airport and you have to be picked up and taken there. Island Jeep appears to have pretty good reviews but I'd be interested in hearing from anyone that has used them recently.

My family recently visited Freeport with MSC cruises. We did an excursion with the cruiseline that included Gold Rocks Beach. If I recall correctly, there were no facilities on the beach, but there is an outhouse type of bathroom near the parking lot, before you walk across the wooden walkways to the bridge (it is a bit of a walk).

If you look it up on Google Maps, you may have a better understanding of where the facilities are located.

The beach, by the way, is one our favorite beaches we have ever experienced. Absolutely heavenly and peaceful, with very few people. I hope you find a way to get there!

• 1 month later...

Is snorkeling possible at either Lucayan National Park or Gold Rock Beach? My wife and I would definitely like to get IN the water, but the only other option seems to be Deadman's Reef / Paradise Cove and it's getting luke warm reviews at best... We have our own gear, just need a spot.

Is snorkeling possible at either Lucayan National Park or Gold Rock Beach? My wife and I would definitely like to get IN the water, but the only other option seems to be Deadman's Reef / Paradise Cove and it's getting luke warm reviews at best... We have our own gear, just need a spot.

Gold Rock is part of the national park. I would assume there would be no problem snorkeling. There is no one there to tell you what you can and can't do anyway. We were there for about 2 hours and probably only saw 5 other people the entire time. I would suggest trying to be there at low tide.

Gold Rock is part of the national park. I would assume there would be no problem snorkeling. There is no one there to tell you what you can and can't do anyway. We were there for about 2 hours and probably only saw 5 other people the entire time. I would suggest trying to be there at low tide.

Thanks GS92, I guess I wasn't quite concise with my question... while snorkeling may be possible, regulation wise, is it feasible, ocean wise? I.e. is the water deep enough, are there any fish / reefs in the area?

Many times when I see a sandy beach that gets much bigger at low tide, that indicates a very shallow bottom, not ideal for snorkeling.

I realize that without having gone into the water, you may not be able to answer this query fully. Doesn't sound like you saw anyone snorkeling though, correct?

thanks,

Royce