Excursions on your own in the Mediterranean.

dsmmj

Re: Palermo - We were just in Sicily for 10 days in April, doing our own touring and driving. I spent a lot of time planning and got a lot of help from the TripAdvisor forum experts. I would say that the highlights are the Capella Palatina (in Palermo itself) and the Cathedral of Monreale, in the hills above Palermo - both are covered in spectacular mosaics (one of them has a website with 360 views - I don't remember which of the 2). The Puppet Museum near the port is fascinating. There are a number of beautiful churches in the city.

Palermo is gritty and crowded, but we did not feel unsafe. We walked everywhere except to Monreale, but at night only in the area near our hotel which was relatively OK. But once we ended up down deserted streets and it felt uncomfortable in the darkness, so we quickly returned to busier streets. However, we were warned of pickpockets being very active on the bus to Monreale. It was recommended that we hire a driver which we did. Not the cheapest option, but very well worth it terms of convenience.

We had a stop in Livorno on a previous cruise and took the train to Lucca for the day - a wonderful day trip. However, we had previously been to Florence for many days, and Pisa. Florence is too ambitious for day trip sprint, IMHO.

Dubrovnik can easily be done on your own - be sure to walk the walls as others have suggested.

Most of all, have a great time!

Re: Palermo - We were just in Sicily for 10 days in April, doing our own touring and driving. I spent a lot of time planning and got a lot of help from the TripAdvisor forum experts. I would say that the highlights are the Capella Palatina (in Palermo itself) and the Cathedral of Monreale, in the hills above Palermo - both are covered in spectacular mosaics (one of them has a website with 360 views - I don't remember which of the 2). The Puppet Museum near the port is fascinating. There are a number of beautiful churches in the city.

Palermo is gritty and crowded, but we did not feel unsafe. We walked everywhere except to Monreale, but at night only in the area near our hotel which was relatively OK. But once we ended up down deserted streets and it felt uncomfortable in the darkness, so we quickly returned to busier streets. However, we were warned of pickpockets being very active on the bus to Monreale. It was recommended that we hire a driver which we did. Not the cheapest option, but very well worth it terms of convenience.

We had a stop in Livorno on a previous cruise and took the train to Lucca for the day - a wonderful day trip. However, we had previously been to Florence for many days, and Pisa. Florence is too ambitious for day trip sprint, IMHO.

Dubrovnik can easily be done on your own - be sure to walk the walls as others have suggested.

Most of all, have a great time!

So appreciate your help.Thank you!

I admit t not having read through all the answers so I could be redundant here!

Thanks for the suggestions about Kotor since we will be there next May, likewise Palamos. If I'm remembering correctly the information that I dug up about the latter is that it's a beach place. I've postponed considering what to do there until closer to the cruise since we also have a November cruise which is where I've been concentrating.

If we were to be in Marseille as a port we'd plan on staying there. We love Aix and other areas in Provence but we haven't been to Marseille itself and know it's worth seeing.

We were in Dubrovnik for a few days on a car trip back in 1977 (before "the troubles") and found it very easy to do on our own. Walk the walls, concentrate on the center of town. It's a beautiful city.

When we were there we bumped into the old Synagogue near to the central square as I remember. At the time there were only about 10 members remaining but we did manage to find the "sexton" who let us in for a tour. If there were only 10 left in 1977, who knows if it still exists? But if it does it's worth a short visit.

When we were in Split on the same trip we innocently "joined" an English tour but were immediately bounced off. We hadn't realized it was a private tour and the guide was right to do so, but he pointed us to the place where we could hire our own guide which we did. The joke was that a woman joined OUR tour and when she was pointedly told to pay her share she refused to do so ... and the guide (who otherwise was excellent) let her get away with it. Well, we were three people instead of two ... We loved Split then. Not sure what we will do when we are in port there next May. But if it's the same now as it was back then, you can find local guides for very reasonable prices on the spot. We had a wonderful tour there.

When we were in Palermo we took a ship's tour -- this was in 2011 and Oceania had snagged all the available guides as far as we could tell. We had an excellent tour where the primary visit was the Catacombs. If you haven't done such a tour, Palermo is a good place to start. Funny story: as we left the building there was a wedding starting up and my husband was grabbed to join the wedding party. A fellow passenger took a photo of the "family" including Howard and was going to send us a copy but never did ...

Why they wanted Howard in the photo is an unanswered question!

In Livorno we had a private tour arranged by someone else that took us to Lucca and Pisa. For opera lovers, if you are in Lucca be sure to visit Puccini's home.

(These places can easily be done on your own IF you have transportation.)

Personally, I would recommend against going to Firenze from Livorno since there is SO much to see in Firenze and it takes a while to get there. With transportation time (90 minutes each way by bus? I'm not sure) you just can't see enough on a one day visit. If you think you'll never come back, then go for it. Otherwise I'd vote for a stay of a few days, which is what we did.

Enough said ...

Hands down. The best excursion on our Med cruise last November was in Palermo, a street food tour with Marco Romero. The company recently changed their name to Streaty. Food, culture, history with an absolutely charming and intelligent host.

I'm lurking on this Oceania Forum as I'll be sailing for the first time on O in March, I'd like to offer some visual help if you're interested... I do many ports on my own and I've done photo reviews with narrative & tips/hints. I hope these could be of help to you. :)

Venice - overnight DIY

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=44387619&highlight=venice#post44387619

Kotor - Perast in the morning, old town and mist see/do (if able to do so) climb up the fort in the afternoon

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=44377718&highlight=first+look+at+Perast#post44377718

Dubrovnik - Old town and must see/do Mount Srd

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=44452500&highlight=dubrovnik#post44452500

I've started going through your photo reviews in early preparation for next year's cruise, which visits many of the same ports. Great tips and even better photos. Thanks for sharing.

In Palermo we walked around the city, we were supposed to do a free walking tour but the guides never showed up. It was a crowded noisy town. If I had it to do over again I'd probably take a tour to somewhere there. Perhaps someone with a better experience there might chime in.

That sounds like Palermo. I've gone to the botanical garden both times I've been there, but that's up my alley. It's a quite nice Botanical Garden, even though it's on one of the crowded, noisy streets. (I think the street name is Abraham Lincoln!)

Leaving town might be a better experience for sure.

I've started going through your photo reviews in early preparation for next year's cruise, which visits many of the same ports. Great tips and even better photos. Thanks for sharing.

You're welcome [emoji4] I get quite a few emails from CC'ers after I post reviews even a couple of years after the sailing for tips if I can help them. I noticed no picture reviews Like this on the O forum, so I'd like To do one for my very first O sailing in March. I have a few fellow CC'ers keen to see an O review in comparison to RCL for example.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You're welcome [emoji4] I get quite a few emails from CC'ers after I post reviews even a couple of years after the sailing for tips if I can help them. I noticed no picture reviews Like this on the O forum, so I'd like To do one for my very first O sailing in March. I have a few fellow CC'ers keen to see an O review in comparison to RCL for example.

Check out the Preisman's website for picture reviews of Oceania, Here's a link to the last one for Riviera.

http://www.thepreismans.com/riviera16.htm

We'll be doing an O extended voyage from Venice to Miami, stopping at many of the ports your RCCL cruise did. While we've been to Europe on both cruises and a number of land trips, the Adriatic, Malta and Sicily are virgin territory and I'm learning a great deal from your very detailed blog. As long as you don't expect the night time activities and entertainment found on RCCL (which may or may not be important to you), I think you'll find O much nicer than the mass market lines. As always, YMMV.

Check out the Preisman's website for picture reviews of Oceania, Here's a link to the last one for Riviera.

http://www.thepreismans.com/riviera16.htm

Excellent! Thank you ORV... I'll look through this

We'll be doing an O extended voyage from Venice to Miami, stopping at many of the ports your RCCL cruise did. While we've been to Europe on both cruises and a number of land trips, the Adriatic, Malta and Sicily are virgin territory and I'm learning a great deal from your very detailed blog. As long as you don't expect the night time activities and entertainment found on RCCL (which may or may not be important to you), I think you'll find O much nicer than the mass market lines. As always, YMMV.

I am really excited about enjoying the itinerary, having great dinner experiences, and meeting many fellow cruisers. This is not too far away from the standard of many experienced RCL cruisers who are on the ships all the time and dedicate their time nightly to the concierge lounge to enjoy other's company vs. the entertainment (which is repeated weekly and very often from ship to ship). I am hopeful for a decent nightly band who can perhaps play a salsa or two for us! Sounds like you have an amazing itinerary on your Europe O sailing :)

Planning excursions for the September 18 sailing of the Riviera and wondering which ports are good to do on your own.We visit Palamos, Marseille, Monte Carlo,Livorno, Palermo, Kotor, Dubrovnik and Venice. Also any recommendations of good Oceania excursions.

Hi, dsmmj,

We'll be on the Sept. 18 cruise and are doing four days before we sail in Barcelona, just like you. (We're flying to Barcelona from Charlotte, so we may even be on the same plane!)

Although we've been to Europe several times, we're new to cruising and excursions. After a lot of research, we've booked private tours of the Cinque Terre (Livorno port) and Rome (Civitacchia port). We have openings for others on these tours - you'd be welcome to join us.

I haven't made plans for Palermo, Kotor or Dubrovnik (all of which sound doable on our own, but we'd be open to ideas/company). We're staying an extra night in Venice as well; I haven't tackled that part of the trip yet!

Feel free to email me at michelle.lecompte321@gmail.com to discuss the possibilities.

Hi, dsmmj,

We'll be on the Sept. 18 cruise and are doing four days before we sail in Barcelona, just like you. (We're flying to Barcelona from Charlotte, so we may even be on the same plane!)

Although we've been to Europe several times, we're new to cruising and excursions. After a lot of research, we've booked private tours of the Cinque Terre (Livorno port) and Rome (Civitacchia port). We have openings for others on these tours - you'd be welcome to join us.

I haven't made plans for Palermo, Kotor or Dubrovnik (all of which sound doable on our own, but we'd be open to ideas/company). We're staying an extra night in Venice as well; I haven't tackled that part of the trip yet!

Feel free to email me at michelle.lecompte321@gmail.com to discuss the possibilities.

Are you familiar with the roll calls?

Each cruise has its own roll call where you will find others on your particular cruise. There you may find others to join you on your tours or you joining others on their tours.

Are you familiar with the roll calls?

Each cruise has its own roll call where you will find others on your particular cruise. There you may find others to join you on your tours or you joining others on their tours.

I am, thank you, and I've posted there as well.

We were on the Marina in May. In Marseilles we did a ship tour to Arles and St. Remy - we are big Van Gogh fans. It was excellent with a terrific guide. In Monte Carlo we did a 3rd party tour with Liven Up, booked through Viator. Also quite good. It was a small group tour, only 6 people including the 2 of us plus a driver/guide. We went to Cannes, Antibes, Eze, and St. Paul De Vence. Also stopped at a perfume factory - stay out if you have allergies, I coughed for days.

Although we've been to Europe several times, we're new to cruising and excursions. After a lot of research, we've booked private tours of the Cinque Terre (Livorno port) .

MsShell, just a word to the wise re Cinque Terre from Livorno - several years ago friends of ours (travel agents) booked a private Cinque Terre tour, and they almost missed the ship's departure from Livorno! Mind you these are seasoned travelers who always plan well, BUT as stated, they almost missed the boat. Got back about 15 min prior to sail-away.

Monte Carlo is one port you can explore on your own. Check online to figure out what you'd like to see first ( I found a map online and marked off the things we wanted to see)

Livorno - we did a private tour to Rome. Check out http://www.limoinrome.com

Kotor is also a port we explored on our own.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

That must have been a very long day & a lot of driving :eek:

It was - it was an 8 hour tour, with about 3 of it was driving but it was an excellent tour and a lot less expensive than the ship's excursion. We were in port from 8am to 8 pm

It was - it was an 8 hour tour, with about 3 of it was driving but it was an excellent tour and a lot less expensive than the ship's excursion. We were in port from 8am to 8 pm

I would have thought it would 3 hrs drive each way

Most people do Rome from Civitavecchia

I would have thought it would 3 hrs drive each way

Most people do Rome from Civitavecchia

Your right - my mistake. We did do the Rome tour from Civitavecchia. We did the Florence tour from Livorno. We used the same tour company for both tours: http://www.limoinrome.com

Does Oceania offer shuttles in to town or is close enough to walk in Marseilles and Dubrovnik? Probably will do an excursion in Livorno. Just trying to decide which one. Thinking Cinque Terre? Has anyone been?

We were going to get a taxi to the old town of Dubrovnik from the port but decided on the bus. The stop is right outside the port and we were able to purchase the return tickets at the same time. Too easy and much cheaper. I hiked up Mt Srd and hubby went up on the cable car.

We also went on the bus down the coast to Cavtat and still had time to walk the walls of the Old Town.

In Livorno we had CC organised van to Florence via Pisa. If you want an alternative Cinque Terra would be great if you are unlikely to visit that area otherwise

We used Romeinlimo.com for our tour of Rome and Florence. We took them from the cruise ship for an all day tour. We split it with others we found on this board. We also used ItalytoursEU for a tour in Pompeii/amalfi coast. I recommend both companies highly. They know how to get in and around these cities so well. The tours were much cheaper than the cruise ship tours and we loved them. No regrets at all!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app