deadmans reef in freeport-I was just there

buzz2400

I just came back from a carnival cruise and did the carnival excursion, shore snorkel and beach, which they say is approx. 3 hours long at deadmans reef. It takes about 20 minutes from port to get there. Then about 20 minutes to get equipment. It was low tide so we had to walk barefoot until it got a little deeper before we could put on flippers. It was rocky and slippery. Water was not cold. We were allowed to swim around the three little "rocks" that would be on your right side looking out at the ocean. When you were around them, the waves were a little strong so I just stayed away from there. The guy stayed in a kayak watching us. When were were first going out I saw a turtle at a distance in murky water but I did not get a good look at him. Later on the guide said that there were 12 turtles. I saw a bunch of fish. Some sea urchins. After about 45 minutes, he told us we had to head back to shore. I was under the impression that we would have 2 hours in the water. As some of us were getting out, the guide told us that there were nurse sharks (not dangerous to people). I couldn't see them because I didn't have my glasses on. We then basically just stood around for an hour waiting for the bus. The beach is not like Grand Turk or Half Moon Cay were the sand and water is beautiful and clear. This is not the beach to look for shells.

We booked through Carnival because we were only going to be in port for five hours and were afraid to chance it. So since were were very disappointed/angry that we only had 45 minutes to snorkel I went to the shore excursion desk when they opened again. She said that it did say snorkel and shore and all places that do snorkeling only do one hour. I then told her about the direct website and I could have saved a lot of money. She told me about the 110% price guarantee (which I did not know about) and had me fill out a form. I ended up getting some money back.

Buzz2400.....thank you for the info regarding your excursion to dead mans reef. We will be there next week and booked directly through Paradise Cove. Going on Carnival and we will supposable be there from 8-5......Glad you were able to get some money back from your trip.

• 1 month later...

We went to Freeport the end of last month and did this excursion as well. We booked directly through their website and the driver was waiting on us when we disembarked in Freeport. We waited about 10 minutes to gather everyone, boarded the bus, and headed for Paradise Cove. Our bus driver was very informative and friendly. He answered any questions we threw at him. Once at Paradise Cove, we had a short briefing about the reef balls, then went to get equipment. After gathering equipment, we proceeded to the tables and waited for everyone else to get to the tables. One of the employees gave another quick briefing on the safety of sea life and just general information about the area. After that 5-10 minute meeting, we were released to go wherever we wanted. We swam out past the rocks (amazing!) and swam around them for a while, then over to the reef balls where we encountered hundreds of fish and sea life.

We had a snack from the grill and a couple buckets of beer. The beer was reasonably priced (about $20-25 for 6) and the food wasn't too bad either.

They were very prompt on getting everyone back to shore and ready to head back to the port. We would definitely come back to Paradise Cove for another visit.

Following - we are in Freeport 8/23 and I had hoped to do a Pat and Diane snorkel, but since they are not running tours that day we are considering other options including Dead Man's Reef. Our ship does have a couple of snorkel excursions but I don't think 45 minutes would be long enough for my teens, we want somewhere that we can have more time in the water and on the beach.

We are booked to go directly through their website next week, Aug 3rd 2017.

They told us to meet the bus beside the Harley Davidson store at the port.

Can anyone tell me how to get to the Harley store?

and how far it is from the dock?

I've been looking for a map and can't find a good one.

Thanks

We are booked to go directly through their website next week, Aug 3rd 2017.

They told us to meet the bus beside the Harley Davidson store at the port.

Can anyone tell me how to get to the Harley store?

and how far it is from the dock?

I've been looking for a map and can't find a good one.

Thanks

Hi. We did this same excursion direct through their website last Dec. The port area is pretty small, but we couldn't find our driver right away. So I just asked another local excursion person if he knew where our guy would be. He showed us where to sit and wait...there were some tables out in the middle surrounded by food booths, stores, and live music playing. Our driver was not there quite yet (we were a little early). If you just keep an eye out...and even ask around, everyone knows each other and they were very nice and willing to help. * Once our driver arrived, he had a list of names that he was checking off. He even started calling out for names of people who were not right there. They don't want to leave anyone behind. (I'm not sure exactly where the Harley place is, but it might just be one of those little booths).

** Good luck! ** Have fun!! ** We saw 6 huge spotted eagle rays, lots of coral, and tons of fish while we were snorkeling. You have to swim out through the three big rocks though. It's not as far as it looks - don't be intimidated. Plus, there are floating mats and tubes along the way - and even on the other side of the rocks - so you can just hold on if you need to rest, or pull yourself up onto them. Wear a watch out there so you know how much time you have.