Passport Clarification Needed..

cruisin_fanatic

Puerto Rico is a U.S. Tereiortory and the people of Puuerto Rico carrry U.S. passports.

St.Thomas is . U.S. ( U.S. Virgin Iislnds s )and they, too have U.S. p;assports.

Is there some reason for your responding to a post made in 2007, particularly since the post was correct then, still is correct today, and your response added nothing of value?

• 2 weeks later...
Is there some reason for your responding to a post made in 2007, particularly since the post was correct then, still is correct today, and your response added nothing of value?

Passport/Visa News:

I tried to start a new thread for this,

but CC would not let me...

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-03-02/europe-votes-impose-visas-americans

Will we now need a VISA to go on our Viking River Cruise ?

Edited by $hip$hape

Passport/Visa News:

I tried to start a new thread for this,

but CC would not let me...

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-03-02/europe-votes-impose-visas-americans

Will we now need a VISA to go on our Viking River Cruise ?

The visa requirement isn't in effect yet, but if it's implemented before your travel date you would need a visa.

This may be just a lot of sabre-rattling by the EU to try to get the US to take action on the issue, so I wouldn't get too worried just yet.

• 3 months later...

Last posted here about a year ago.

We are getting ready to renew our passports. Couple of questions.

1) We moved about two months ago. We don't need additional documentation in that, do we? We have not changed our driver's license, and don't intend to until they expire in 2019. Our daughter and her family still live in our old home.

2) Hair color. Ten years ago, when I was in my 40s, it was a solid brown. And I indicated that in my application. However, when you turn from 48 to 58, hair color will turn from brown to grey.

They won't do a double take if I put down grey, will they? It's the truth.

Last posted here about a year ago.

We are getting ready to renew our passports. Couple of questions.

1) We moved about two months ago. We don't need additional documentation in that, do we? We have not changed our driver's license, and don't intend to until they expire in 2019. Our daughter and her family still live in our old home.

2) Hair color. Ten years ago, when I was in my 40s, it was a solid brown. And I indicated that in my application. However, when you turn from 48 to 58, hair color will turn from brown to grey.

They won't do a double take if I put down grey, will they? It's the truth.

Neither is a problem. Your address doesn't even appear on your passport, and people change hair color all the time. You can renew your passport by mail using form DS-82.

"We moved about two months ago. We don't need additional documentation in that, do we? We have not changed our driver's license, and don't intend to until they expire in 2019. Our daughter and her family still live in our old home. "

Lady bebop, I suggest you check with your new state's DMV on requirements to obtain new DL. Did you update your car insurance?

• 2 weeks later...
...Couple of questions ... We have not changed our driver's license, and don't intend to until they expire in 2019. Our daughter and her family still live in our old home. ...

Lady bebop, I suggest you check with your new state's DMV on requirements to obtain new DL. Did you update your car insurance?

I agree with McD's comment/question. I have lived in 8 states in my adult life, including D.C. Every one of them required that an incoming new resident get a local driver's license within 60 days. Likewise for vehicle registration. If you intend to vote in any election, then you will need a new license with new address. Maintaining your old voter registration at the old address is fraud pure and simple. As McD implies, your vehicle insurance rates are based on where you live. I.e., your residence. As shown on your license, registration, etc. You probably wouldn't get caught unless you need to file a (fraudulent) claim. Businesses (e.g. grocery stores, car repair shops, salons...) often will not accept anything but a local check. And to get that local account you'll have to show your local driver's license. I know, yes there are loop holes and you can wiggle through all of the situations I have outlined but there are so many reasons to just maintain a clean file. And thus avoid anxieties such as might arise when getting a new passport and trying to decide whether or not to lie about where you live.

There is so much information here, I didn't know where to begin. Excuse me if I'm asking something that has been asked before. I'm sure it has, lol.

I was just doing my online check in for my cruise on September 2nd. I realized that my passport expires January 29, 2018. The RCI website "strongly suggests" that your passport be good for at least 6 months from your return date.

1) is current renewal time sufficient for me to renew now? Will I have my new passport on time?

2) will I have an issue since my check in is done? I think I would be able to go back and update the date and/or document number if needed, correct?

I know I should have thought of this sooner. I kept thinking the date it expired was more towards mid year, like June of 2018.

Thanks i advance.

... I realized that my passport expires January 29, 2018. .... 1) is current renewal time sufficient for me to renew now? Will I have my new passport on time?

2) will I have an issue since my check in is done? I think I would be able to go back and update the date and/or document number if needed, correct?

I know I should have thought of this sooner. ..

1 - there is time. Do it.

2 - then revisit your checkin. No big deal.

Note also that if you have Global Entry you need to go online and update your GE info with the new passport info. Not sure if you need todo this if you have TSA PreCheck.

Stan

I'm definitely going to do this now. I think that even though I have just over 60 days, I'm going to have it expedited. I can do this by mail as a renewal, so I think I will use priority mail as well. I've got to make sure I check and double check everything - I really don't want any issues.

I'm normally one of those people who does these things way in advance but I completely overlooked this.

Other than the time spent at the post office or wherever, I don't think there is an advantage to going in person.

I'm definitely going to do this now. I think that even though I have just over 60 days, I'm going to have it expedited. I can do this by mail as a renewal, so I think I will use priority mail as well. I've got to make sure I check and double check everything - I really don't want any issues.

I'm normally one of those people who does these things way in advance but I completely overlooked this.

Other than the time spent at the post office or wherever, I don't think there is an advantage to going in person.

Not sure If you really need to have it expedited but if it gives you piece of mind....

I just renewed my passport for our September 2nd Alaska cruise. My current passport expired in mid October, so while technically it would suffice for our one stop in Canada should I need it, I didn't know if HAL would take issue with it.

Anyway, I mailed it out on June 2nd for regular processing and I had it in my hands exactly two weeks later on June 16, even though it stated 6-8 week turnaround.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
"We moved about two months ago. We don't need additional documentation in that, do we? We have not changed our driver's license, and don't intend to until they expire in 2019. Our daughter and her family still live in our old home. "

It depends - if you moved to another state, the odds are that you have either 30 or 60 days to get new license. If you are in same state, check with your DMV- in CT you should get a sticker with your new address to affix to the back of your license.

• 2 weeks later...
There is so much information here, I didn't know where to begin. Excuse me if I'm asking something that has been asked before. I'm sure it has, lol.

I was just doing my online check in for my cruise on September 2nd. I realized that my passport expires January 29, 2018. The RCI website "strongly suggests" that your passport be good for at least 6 months from your return date.

1) is current renewal time sufficient for me to renew now? Will I have my new passport on time?

I know I should have thought of this sooner. I kept thinking the date it expired was more towards mid year, like June of 2018.

Thanks i advance.

Laurie,

I don't know how far you live from an actual passport office, but in New Orleans once I went directly to the Passport office and upgraded my passport and it was done in less than two weeks.

• 2 months later...

Just booked a last minute cruise (on NCL) and then realized my passport is expired.. Leave on the 18th and no passport office nearby. I have proof of citizenship.. but do I rush or expedite for a passport? Not sure which I should do? Advice

Just booked a last minute cruise (on NCL) and then realized my passport is expired.. Leave on the 18th and no passport office nearby. I have proof of citizenship.. but do I rush or expedite for a passport? Not sure which I should do? Advice

What's your itinerary? Only you can decide if it's worth the extra cost and hassle to get it renewed before the cruise, and of course your decision has to be made quickly. Personally if I were on a closed loop cruise of 7 days or less I would just bring my birth cert and gov't issued photo ID.

Following - I have a certified birth certificate copy which seems allowed for my particular cruise on 12/09 MIA-MIA, I've been concerned once I realized after booking the trip yesterday that my passport expires in May, 2018 which is just shy of the 6 month rule. I'm thinking take the passport and my birth certificate instead of attempting to renew with a month to go before departure. Thoughts welcomed.

Following - I have a certified birth certificate copy which seems allowed for my particular cruise on 12/09 MIA-MIA, I've been concerned once I realized after booking the trip yesterday that my passport expires in May, 2018 which is just shy of the 6 month rule. I'm thinking take the passport and my birth certificate instead of attempting to renew with a month to go before departure. Thoughts welcomed.

It's actually a 6 month "recommendation". Some countries do require travelers to have 6 months remaining at the end of their trip (so if you were staying for a month you'd actually need 7 months at the beginning of the trip), but the only Caribbean country I'm aware of with a 6 month requirement for cruise ship passengers is Cuba. Since you can visit the islands with a birth certificate it would be rather silly for them to require passport holders to have 6 months remaining on their passports.

It's actually a 6 month "recommendation". Some countries do require travelers to have 6 months remaining at the end of their trip (so if you were staying for a month you'd actually need 7 months at the beginning of the trip), but the only Caribbean country I'm aware of with a 6 month requirement for cruise ship passengers is Cuba. Since you can visit the islands with a birth certificate it would be rather silly for them to require passport holders to have 6 months remaining on their passports.

Thanks for the reply :). 2 of 3 the are US (San Juan and St. Thomas) the only concern being St. Kitts.

If you are cruising the Caribbean (not Cuba) you can use either one...assuming you are a US Citizen. No need for both.

Typically I would use the passport...small, compact, easy to lose....what? wait...no need for a 6 month cushion for any port in the Caribbean.

Someone is gonna say if you are on a luxury line you must comply with their rules...true! But we are thinking you are on a mainline cruise with RCL, HAL, Princess, Carnival, Celebrity, etc.