Hint and suggestions for getting the most out of time on the Explorer

furs840

Furs840 can confirm binoculars in concierge suite, they were adequate for our use, but can't rate how good they are.

The wifi on our cruise was good enough for what we needed in checking emails. Have no idea about face time, not something we require when on holiday. We did use the free included phone calls and that was very good. I can't comment on any mobile phone arrangements. Jean.

Internet on Explorer varies and is dependent upon how many people are using the system amongst other things. Regent blocks most things that will "eat" bandwidth. I have seen one person using Face Time on Explorer -- it was during dinner so usage at that time was low. I have read that you need to be careful using a cell phone on any ship as it will pick up the ship's signal - even in port - which, as you noted, can be very costly.

There are some techies on this board that will likely give you more information. The computer guru onboard Explorer in the Business Center can give you more information. He was the one that showed me how slow the internet became when over 400 passengers were on at the same time. IMO, it is a good idea not to depend on FaceTime but your results may differ from what we've seen in our 4 Explorer cruises.

Internet on Explorer varies and is dependent upon how many people are using the system amongst other things. Regent blocks most things that will "eat" bandwidth. I have seen one person using Face Time on Explorer -- it was during dinner so usage at that time was low. I have read that you need to be careful using a cell phone on any ship as it will pick up the ship's signal - even in port - which, as you noted, can be very costly.

There are some techies on this board that will likely give you more information. The computer guru onboard Explorer in the Business Center can give you more information. He was the one that showed me how slow the internet became when over 400 passengers were on at the same time. IMO, it is a good idea not to depend on FaceTime but your results may differ from what we've seen in our 4 Explorer cruises.

Thanks this is helpful information. Might just get an international call plan and plan on making calls while off of the ship on excursions. What about the advertised 15 minutes of free phone calls to shore. I assume I can make international calls during this time? Is it easy to use these onboard minutes, without risking heavy overage fees/

Furs - even though you said you had TWO new questions but actually snuck in THREE, I'll see if I can chip in with some answers. :D

Can't help with the binoculars yet (we were in an F2 in April, so no glass, but we'll be in a Concierge next month). I can say that the internet is spotty at best and unusable at worst on board. Our cabin had a weak signal, but it didn't matter; we could take our devices anywhere on the ship, good signal or not, and the throughput was hideous. One option is to just take your phone ashore with you - most places these days have decent WiFi for customers. You'll probably need to ask for a password if it's not posted somewhere, but I've been able to do quick FaceTime calls with folks at home (sometimes even FaceTime video) from cafes, restaurants, etc. Of course, you'll want to be aware of the other customers and step out of the main area for the calls, but it IS doable.

Which plan you purchase will be dependent on when you want to make calls. We usually check in with our kids a few times during a cruise using our included ship-to-shore minutes. We'll make a few calls from shore, too - you'll want to see which network you're connected to since you're correct that ship-based plans are crazy expensive.

Personally, I don't make too many calls when I'm on a cruise - I'm not that plugged in that I need to call. My wife, on the other hand, is more of the 'reach out and touch someone' type, so we usually get hit with a pretty good-sized cell bill after we get home...

Our experience with using free phone minutes has been fine. You simply dial 50 (if I remember that correctly) plus 1, the area code and the phone number. You do need to watch the minutes so you do not go over as it is quite expensive to use Regent's phones. Like Bill, we are more interested in our vacation than spending time on the phone. I need to keep in touch with our pet sitter daily -- we that via email. When I have very limited "free" telephone time, I saved it for emergencies rather than just to chat. Now we have several hours of time and I doubt if I use more than a half an hour. The one awkward thing about using the ship's phone is that only one person can talk at once or you don't hear each other. There is a technical word for this that I don't recall but I do have to tell the person that I'm on the phone with about this quirk.

For shore excursions and the airports, in case you become separated and there is no wifi, you should consider a flat fee plan to cover 100 texts and calls or so.

I need to be connected to my office so I need an international data plan too.

On our Transatlantic in November on the Explorer, I Face-Timed many times on my iPad. I was able to connect 90%of the time. I also hooked my iPhone to the ship's wifi and was able to speak to my family by email, text, WhatsApp and FaceTime, while we were at sea. No problems for short conversations. Just remember to disconnect if you are not using the wifi, as a courtesy, so you are not hogging, and can allow others to use it.

Correct. And you incur the $10 charge only if you use your data on a particular day. So my data will be turned off on weekends, as well as sea days when the ship's wifi will suffice.

Yes. I was talking about Verizon data charges on sea days, and avoiding the $10/day charge by using the ship's wifi with my iPad.

But we also have free phone minutes as Gold Level (Concierge Suites receive minutes too).