Reccomendations for only 1 day in London

Candicco

Our first time in London, we researched the specific things we wanted to see and do. But to get an overview, we hired a private tour guide for a half day to show us the most important sights by car. Later, we chose to revisit the places we found most interesting (Westminster, British Museum, etc.) he dropped us off at a traditional pub for bangers and mash and we took the tube back to our hotel. All easy. Price of the private tour was, we thought, worth it because he focused on our interests.

In 2015 we ended our TA cruise in Southampton. I had booked a tour and transportation with International Friends. They picked us and others up at the ship and took us to Salisbury Cathedral, Windsor Castle, and to Stonehenge. Then they dropped us off by 6 pm at our hotels. We then had two more days to explore London. We booked the two day version of the HOHO bus and made good use of it. We spent a few hours at the Tower of London (highly recommend it), we went to Westminster Abbey and to Kensington Palace. We even did a hectic changing of the guards at Buckingham Palace. The HOHO bus had a free walking tour to it. The guide knew exactly where to stand. As soon as the horses passed by we walked quickly to another spot to see something else. We did it several times. It was very crowded there but we saw it with good views and no long wait by getting there early.

Enjoy your trip!

I would suggest Westminster Abbey and Churchill's War Rooms Museum - close together - for a London experience not duplicated elsewhere. Fish and chips, after all, can be prepared almost anywhere in the world.

I'll agree with this sentiment and others. Depending on where you're flying from, you'll have jet lag to deal with. You may find that by the time you get to your hotel, you won't have the time or the energy to see much. I get that you want to have fish-n-chips in London, even if it doesn't turn out to be as good as the offerings in your hometown. You'll find it somewhere. One suggestion; when you check into your hotel, ask the desk person/bellhop/concierge/doorman where they'd go if they wanted good fish-n-chips in the area that isn't a tourist spot. Then go eat, take a walk, get a good night's sleep, and head to the ship the next morning.

For when you return, I'll second the suggestion of taking a guided walking tour. I like the London Walks tours and thought their Jack The Ripper tour was worth the time and money. Google London Walks for schedules. For a full day on your return, pick two or three things at most and truly enjoy them instead of trying to rush from place to place to see a bit of as many as possible. I liken this to people going to Washington DC for a weekend and trying to go through all the Smithsonians on the mall, while also trying to see all the monuments, going to Arlington Cemetery, and the National Zoo. I suppose theoretically you could do it, but you wouldn't enjoy it! And you'd be exhausted at the end.

My favorite museum in London is the Imperial War Museum followed closely by the British Museum. Westminster Abbey and the Tower of London are worth the time. I still haven't managed to get to Churchill's Cabinet War Rooms. Next time.

Free advice is worth exactly what you pay for it.

When asked how much time one needs to visit London I generally suggest 2 lifetimes. LOL

I think when a city is far away it often feels like that.

I live 2 hours away from London and a day feels like a lifetime when I am there. As much as it is famous when you have been a few times and done all the famous stuff it really isn't anything to write home about...and its expensive. I have similar feelings about Paris. I use both cities these days as connecting desitinations and get out of there as soon as I can.

Prefer other European cities and other UK cities.

Coming in the day before our cruise and staying in the St. Pancras area. Since we only have 1 day and night in London, (first time ever in London) I am looking for ideas on what to do and the best place to experience the english fish and chips and/or other not to miss places?

Suggest you do an online search for london on "timeout" website or "tripadvisor" and search for fish and chips.

I would do the "original" hop on hop off tour to see the main sights/overview (Palace only open in Summer). Get off at Tower of London and visit the Tower and/or Tower Bridge. Walk south of the river (turn right off Tower Bridge) to visit Borough Market and The Golden Hinde ship and Southwark Cathedral. Should be plenty of eating places in Borough Market. One called "Fish" that seems to get good reviews (haven't tried it myself). It's between Borough Market and Southwark Cathedral (which is also worth visiting). Could also do river boat between Tower Bridge and Houses of parliament but see if your hop on/off includes that.

Really recommend looking at Timeout and TripAdvisor. Don't do the underground as you won't see much down there! Print simplified tourist maps from Timeout and mark places you want to visit on your map.

Hope this helps.

Edited by tapo
additional info