Camouflage in the Caribbean?

Kimba1910

I have been cruising and travelling using my passport since 2000 and I have never heard of this before, my husband and son, wear camo shorts all the time and I even bought camo swimming trunks for my grandson and husband, so I asked because I saw this post on facebook and was confused because no one has ever said anything to my husband.

The airline I used to work for would spot passengers checking in to the Caribbean with camouflage clothing on at London and ask them to change before they lost their suitcases. There'd be some every flight.

This may be old news but it remains current. Several years back I was on a Caribbean Airlines flight from Miami to Port of Spain Trinidad and upon arrival I was definitely taken aside by immigration and asked to change on the spot! Be happy you know about this!

I don't remember which islands it was, but last year on a Princess cruise if it was applicable, the daily program would say "camouflage clothing is not permitted on XXXXXXX" or words to that affect.

Don't strap native plants, flowers or tree branches onto your hair and clothing either because this is what real camouflage is about.

I disagree. My shorts, pale skin, sunscreen, loud shirt, goofy hat, big belly, and camera make me blend in with the mass of other cruise ship tourists. I'm practically invisible.

I I guess some folks assume that new members automatically know all the old subjects. Things change, so an occasion review is good for the forum.

The OP asked if anyone had heard of this before. Hardly surprising that new members or those who haven't done much Caribbean cruising would not have known.

And it should hardly be surprising that cruise veterans gave known about this for years. Of course it's old news, since these proscriptions have been in place for many years. I don't know why you are assuming that these veteran cruisers are expecting new members to know any such thing. No need to slam people for stating a simple fact.

I think this subject is always interesting. I guess some folks assume that new members automatically know all the old subjects. Things change, so an occasion review is good for the forum.

I was shopping for shorts yesterday and noted how popular camo patterns are still popular and stylish. I was even surprised to see a few people wearing camo in Europe on the Rick Steves show.

Burt

That Rick Steves show was in Serbia, those clowns do not know how to dress any other way.

I disagree. My shorts, pale skin, sunscreen, loud shirt, goofy hat, big belly, and camera make me blend in with the mass of other cruise ship tourists. I'm practically invisible.

Don't forget your fanny pack and lanyard.;p

It's only old news if you've heard it before, there are new people cruising/traveling for the first time every day and I'm sure this would be new news to them.

But without telling us its old news, how would they get to 50k posts?;)

It's only old news if you've heard it before, there are new people cruising/traveling for the first time every day and I'm sure this would be new news to them.

Camouflage in the Caribbean is a subject that does need to be brought up fairly often.

Those new to traveling in the Caribbean often have no clue camouflage isn't allowed. ;)

Agree, and not just for new people. I've been on > 20 cruises and did not know about this. Thanks Cruise Critic!

• 2 months later...

I'm one of those people who researches the daylights out of it when I'm going somewhere new on vacation. It wasn't until my FIFTH DAY of searching that I came across this rule - in an aside, as part of some former crew member's mini-ebook. It was probably the most helpful thing I read all night last night.

Ridiculous or not, my husband wears camo pants or camo shorts ALL THE TIME. Half of the time he's wearing them WITH an aloha shirt that we got on our vacation to Hawaii about 5 years ago. It looks amazingly horrible and ridiculous, but I can't stop him. Fortunately I already bought him non-camo cargo shorts earlier this year so he'll have the form if not the face. I can take him out but I can't dress him... and when I do dress him, I can't take him anywhere!

It would really be helpful if this were on the "what should I pack" section of the cruise ship dress code.

I'm one of those people who researches the daylights out of it when I'm going somewhere new on vacation. It wasn't until my FIFTH DAY of searching that I came across this rule - in an aside, as part of some former crew member's mini-ebook. It was probably the most helpful thing I read all night last night.

Ridiculous or not, my husband wears camo pants or camo shorts ALL THE TIME. Half of the time he's wearing them WITH an aloha shirt that we got on our vacation to Hawaii about 5 years ago. It looks amazingly horrible and ridiculous, but I can't stop him. Fortunately I already bought him non-camo cargo shorts earlier this year so he'll have the form if not the face. I can take him out but I can't dress him... and when I do dress him, I can't take him anywhere!

It would really be helpful if this were on the "what should I pack" section of the cruise ship dress code.

I think many of them do but it's limited to what to wear aboard the ship and doesn't really touch on what to avoid when going ashore, but this should be mentioned at least in passing "please be aware that some ports prohibit the wear of camo clothing", which would at least trigger a search by the passenger for which ports have the prohibition.

There is a law in Barbados tthat bans camo in any form. Not as clothes, not on young childdrren, not a back pack or ball cap. NO CAMO> means just that. I don't think you want to explain to some long gun armed military person that in the south everyo e wears it. leave it home or be prepared for trouble about it . Isn't part of why we travel to do and see things diffferently than what we have and do at home? In their country, you do it their way.