Buffets on Riviera not self service?

tipsygirl

LOL LHT/JMO; I knew that was coming; don't give it if you can't take it.

I understand about getting old and immobile; my mother cruised into her nineties though she was never too old to try something new. Some in their twenties NEVER will have that sense of adventure.

I am 66 and not yet infirm; I understand some are; I prefer to have SOME mildly adventuresome people on my cruises and hope to find some on the next cruise; otherwise I know I can find kindred souls on Star Clipper, but the food isn't as good. :confused:

I have a sense of adventure.... snorkeling is just not something I like

I do not do hang gliding either but many people do

There are people that do not enjoy certain things in life but why call them names or put them down

There were plenty of mature people (75+) on our cruises that did a lot more than we would do

Do not paint everyone who is over 50 with the same brush

We cruise with geriatric friends who are right now hiking in Switzerland. Otoh we know folks in their 50s who are relatively inactive.

Painting people with a broad brush is a sign of ignorance imo

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

At any moment, those of you who are fit and active may find yourselves either temporarily or permanently disabled. The carefree spirit and keen mind may still be there; but your body may not always do what you wish it to do. I would hope that your fellow cruisers would be as friendly and helpful to you as they are to able-bodied passengers. I agree that people should chose excursions with consideration to the published criteria around mobility; but, on a bad day, someone may not be able to keep up.

So be it...

At any moment, those of you who are fit and active may find yourselves either temporarily or permanently disabled. The carefree spirit and keen mind may still be there; but your body may not always do what you wish it to do. I would hope that your fellow cruisers would be as friendly and helpful to you as they are to able-bodied passengers. I agree that people should chose excursions with consideration to the published criteria around mobility; but, on a bad day, someone may not be able to keep up.

So be it...

Plus 1. Your life can change in a minute. Mine did. We have since witnessed amazing kindness and consideration but also a few truly selfish and uncaring fellow travelers

One day it could and will be you. What goes around comes around

LOL LHT/JMO; I knew that was coming; don't give it if you can't take it.

I understand about getting old and immobile; my mother cruised into her nineties though she was never too old to try something new. Some in their twenties NEVER will have that sense of adventure.

I am 66 and not yet infirm; I understand some are; I prefer to have SOME mildly adventuresome people on my cruises and hope to find some on the next cruise; otherwise I know I can find kindred souls on Star Clipper, but the food isn't as good. :confused:

So then what was your point about "geriatrics"?

Plus 1. Your life can change in a minute. Mine did. We have since witnessed amazing kindness and consideration but also a few truly selfish and uncaring fellow travelers

One day it could and will be you. What goes around comes around

When I was recovering from knee surgery I was using a cane and not moving very fast. I was astonished at the number of people who were impatient with my pace and would jump in front of me in order to avoid having to follow me. It didn't seem to bother them that they'd nearly knocked me down. I guess they assumed that I could jump out of the way ... which obviously I could not have.

One result was that I became far more considerate and understanding when I'm in back of some who is moving slower than I would like ... if I can get around that person without hindering him or her, I will. Otherwise, I wait until I can.

Steve;

When they started talking about inconsiderate people on O.

Lyn;

I fully expect to age, slow down, and probably/possibly have mobility issues sometimes in the future. I also pray that when that happens, I am gracious enough to carefully read the mobility requirements of the tour and say," No, I can/shouldn't do that,"and find one within my then limited capabilities. That is all I would ask of any cruiser.

Steve;

Lyn;

I fully expect to age, slow down, and probably/possibly have mobility issues sometimes in the future. I also pray that when that happens, I am gracious enough to carefully read the mobility requirements of the tour and say," No, I can't/shouldn't do that,"and find one within my then limited capabilities. That is all I would ask of any cruiser.

Steve;

Lyn;

I fully expect to age, slow down, and probably/possibly have mobility issues sometimes in the future. I also pray that when that happens, I am gracious enough to carefully read the mobility requirements of the tour and say," No, I can/shouldn't do that,"and find one within my then limited capabilities. That is all I would ask of any cruiser.

So does that mean if you're on our tour and you break your leg, you're giving us permission to have you put down? :D

I will get flamed but what caught my attention in Pinot's post was the demographics/percentage by age. That probably caused the frustrations just like on a mass market line at spring break having a high percentage of children. Or cruises with large groups like the alumni ones.

I will get flamed but what caught my attention in Pinot's post was the demographics/percentage by age. That probably caused the frustrations just like on a mass market line at spring break having a high percentage of children. Or cruises with large groups like the alumni ones.

Not flaming but how would someone know the ages of the passengers

Some people may look older or younger than their actual age

I look in the mirror & see a younger old lady :halo:

..when I get onboard I see people that look a lot older

I bet they are my age though LOL

Lyn;

The numbers breakdown came from ship officials in a position to know. They were disclosed when trying to explain other situations that arose for which there was some passenger discontent.

My posts are not to imply that anyone should not cruise. However, I do believe that before people sign up for various ship land tours they should read the physical requirements and abide accordingly. Don't know why that is offensive to some? However, it is obviously not within the modus operindi of some cruisers. Typically, O offers an array of ships tours, some of which are available for all passengers and physical conditions. Not all ship tours meet those parameters, and are not appropriate for all.

We are in our mid to late 60's and have the good fortune to not yet be mobility impaired and enjoy walking and low level hiking. We have always arranged private tours with others or DIY port excursions. We find the O excursions extremely overpriced, don't want to be on a large bus on O's agenda or stopping at the tours souvenir shops etc. However, for our last several cruises we have taken the OLife options since they were part of a package. Since Oceania instituted the OLife program, there are a lot more cruisers on the ship's tours and I think this may be the reason people are noticing more those participants of a tour that according to the tour explanation shouldn't be participating. I carefully read the explanation and how many of those "walker" symbol are highlighted before I chose a tour. We have gone on O tours with people in walkers and wheelchairs where the tour explanation clearly stated "not for mobility impaired". I don't know what recourse Oceania has at the point when someone shows up at the excursion bus in a wheelchair to actually say you can't come on the tour. I would never participate in an excursion that was too strenuous for me since it would slow everyone else down and take away both my enjoyment and others. Given the demographic, I think O should offer tours for different levels of mobility.

Lyn;

The numbers breakdown came from ship officials in a position to know. They were disclosed when trying to explain other situations that arose for which there was some passenger discontent.

Interesting

Yes I agree people should look at the tour description before signing up

We once did a ship's tour it said moderate walking ..at the time I thought it would be OK

It was more than moderate in my opinion

I had to sit down & just wait for the others to return

we rarely do ship's tours now

TERRERI

I agree they should offer tours for slow walkers or mobility challenged people like on the river cruises they have a similar tour but leave out the climb to the castle etc...

it would work out better for all

If someone shows up to the bus in a wheelchair for a tour that has stated not for wheelchair users (but who reads the fine print) the destinations staff should have the right to turn them away but then maybe O would have lawsuits from the ADA

Edited by LHT28

Lyn;

1. If a wheelchair passenger signed up for a tour forbidding wheelchairs, they'd have a hard time suing. Reading the fine print, the lawsuit would probably have to be brought in Liberia if the incident occurred in Europe. ADA doesn't cover Europe, remember what that first A means?

2. O might not be the one rejecting the cruisers. Our local guide was inflamed over some of the passengers that showed up for a tour. After the other continuing issues during the tour arose, he plainly said " we have a contract with Oceania that strictly spells out who can participate on these tours! Next time I won't allow anyone with walkers on the bus for this tour. The cruise line can then deal with it, they know the terms of the contract." These aren't really O tours. They are local tour company tours with which O has contracted under specific terms and conditions of the country involved. O was most obviously knowingly breaching the contract by giving them the tour pass during tour check in.

Actually done with this issue. Now a moot point for me. No more O ship tours. Issue resolved. DYI and private tours only now. Lesson learned. Next.

To Lyn's point about the tour description not always being completely accurate (in terms of difficulty), many years ago we were in Banff and took a hike up one of the mountains that was described as moderate. It was anything but!! I did get up to the top -- well, not the "top top" but past a sign that said you could only go beyond this point with a permit, which we didn't have. Since the path didn't look any more difficult than what we'd already traversed, we continued for a little bit. It didn't help that it was a brutally hot day and we were above the tree line.

Because this "moderate" hike had been anything but, the next morning Howard went alone on a hike that was described as being more difficult. When he got back he told me it was actually easier than the one we'd done the day before!

So you never know ...

Lyn;

1. If a wheelchair passenger signed up for a tour forbidding wheelchairs, they'd have a hard time suing. Reading the fine print, the lawsuit would probably have to be brought in Liberia if the incident occurred in Europe. ADA doesn't cover Europe, remember what that first A means?

Remember that some people that live in A do not care what the policies are in other countries & will sue anyway ....who reads the fine print

I do but wonder if others even bother

2. O might not be the one rejecting the cruisers. Our local guide was inflamed over some of the passengers that showed up for a tour. After the other continuing issues during the tour arose, he plainly said " we have a contract with Oceania that strictly spells out who can participate on these tours! Next time I won't allow anyone with walkers on the bus for this tour. The cruise line can then deal with it, they know the terms of the contract." These aren't really O tours. They are local tour company tours with which O has contracted under specific terms and conditions of the country involved. O was most obviously knowingly breaching the contract by giving them the tour pass during tour check in.

Actually done with this issue. Now a moot point for me. No more O ship tours. Issue resolved. DYI and private tours only now. Lesson learned. Next.

I do not blame the tour operator they should have the reight to refuse people if it is spelled out in the tour description but I think as stated above more people are taking the O Life excursions for convenience & do not really read the terms of the tours

I have some limitations so private tours or just DIY is the way to go now for us

We may miss some of the highlights of a port but I know what we can manage & what we cannot not

Any way the thread is well off the rails now so will sign off here

To Lyn's point about the tour description not always being completely accurate (in terms of difficulty), many years ago we were in Banff and took a hike up one of the mountains that was described as moderate. It was anything but!! I did get up to the top -- well, not the "top top" but past a sign that said you could only go beyond this point with a permit, which we didn't have. Since the path didn't look any more difficult than what we'd already traversed, we continued for a little bit. It didn't help that it was a brutally hot day and we were above the tree line.

Because this "moderate" hike had been anything but, the next morning Howard went alone on a hike that was described as being more difficult. When he got back he told me it was actually easier than the one we'd done the day before!

So you never know ...

It does make you wonder who sets the degree of difficulty for some of these tours

DH said some must be done by some young 20 something scout not some older 60+ one ;)