Black Tie nights - are there an alternative dining arrangments?

wombatsoup

It amazes me the comments that some make on here. Some clearly have a deep dislike for PandO. Personally I have no problem with that. What does annoy me is why they insist on persistently knocking them and also the people that love PandO. They have no acceptance whatsoever that some actually like PandO and are offended when they disagree with their view. However much they would like it to be a one way street I´m afraid that ain´t going to happen.

Just had a look at the Horizons I had on Ventura and Sindhu does not require Black tie there either on formal nights. Black tie will be strictly enforced in Epicurean, MDRs, Red Bar and Metropolis. So, maybe in Sindhu it is acceptable to wear evening casual across the fleet?

We ate in Sindhu on Azura last year on formal night and there was a mix of formal and smart casual dress. I was not even aware that P&O listed Sindu as formal, though because it was formal night and it was my birthday and I like dressing up we did dress formally.

But this is true!!!

"you should have known that when you booked"

"If you don't like it, sail with another line"

"I don't have an issue with the way P&O operate, if you do go elsewhere"

Did you know everything when you first sailed P&O?

And as I said due to the helpful comments like the 2 other I quoted, we are going elsewhere and sailing other lines. Bye

Sent from Tapatalk

Did you know everything when you first sailed P&O?

And as I said due to the helpful comments like the 2 other I quoted, we are going elsewhere and sailing other lines. Bye

Sent from Tapatalk

Good grief yes I did a lot of research to make sure I had the right clothes. I went TA and we had a black and white night and a tropical night.

:cool::cool:We were on Britannia last week on the Fjord job. For what it's worth we dress smartly,but not formally.We ate in the Beach House on one formal night and the buffet the other night.

The Glass House is smart casual at all times.I think Sindhu was formal.

We do not try and get in venues whilst not adhering to the formal code. We totally respect the wish of people to attend the formal restaurants and bars.

However ,we will not be treated as second class citizens just because we do not have a dinner suit on ..I did hear some comments as I walked back to my cabin at 1730 one evening about people in shorts . Everyone's money to P and O is equal no matter how you are dressed .. I should have replied to the catty comments with a riposte about an Asda dinner suit,but I am too polite for that behaviour

:cool::cool:We were on Britannia last week on the Fjord job. For what it's worth we dress smartly,but not formally.We ate in the Beach House on one formal night and the buffet the other night.

The Glass House is smart casual at all times.I think Sindhu was formal.

We do not try and get in venues whilst not adhering to the formal code. We totally respect the wish of people to attend the formal restaurants and bars.

However ,we will not be treated as second class citizens just because we do not have a dinner suit on ..I did hear some comments as I walked back to my cabin at 1730 one evening about people in shorts . Everyone's money to P and O is equal no matter how you are dressed .. I should have replied to the catty comments with a riposte about an Asda dinner suit,but I am too polite for that behaviour

:o That is bitchy - they made the effort does it matter where they got the suit?

By all means tell them that formal is not for you but to be a snob about clothing is really unnecessary.

To be honest at that time in the afternoon I would definitely have had to say something, not about how they were dressed, but that the dress code only applies after 6pm as per the P&O FAQ's and so at that time you were still dressed appropriately for that time of day.

The Dress Code is applied in most restaurants and bars for guests over 18 years of age, from 6pm.

:o That is bitchy - they made the effort does it matter where they got the suit?

By all means tell them that formal is not for you but to be a snob about clothing is really unnecessary.

I don't think Well boy 91 is being a snob, because the dress code doesn't apply until 6pm so they could have been going to get changed. So it would appear those making the remarks were being snobbish.

I don't think Well boy 91 is being a snob, because the dress code doesn't apply until 6pm so they could have been going to get changed. So it would appear those making the remarks were being snobbish.

Really so the comment about the Asda suit isn't snobbish or bitchy?

Each to their own and live and let live, as long as people make the effort to conform good for them.

There have been a few comment about not frightening off first time cruisers yet it seems it is okay to make comment about not spending a fortune on something they are unlikely to wear again.

I have a limited budget I hope there are not people looking at my clothes and making comment and if I see something I like from George yes I will wear it.

Each to their own and live and let live, as long as people make the effort to conform good for them.

There have been a few comment about not frightening off first time cruisers yet it seems it is okay to make comment about not spending a fortune on something they are unlikely to wear again.

I have a limited budget I hope there are not people looking at my clothes and making comment and if I see something I like from George yes I will wear it.

So it appears the Fashion Police are not only on Cunard, but on P&O UK as well? Well I am glad the jacket night has gone and I shall take my $99 K Mart suit 12000 miles to Adonia next year and wear it on formal nights, with pride.:halo:

Hi there. Please relax . As i said,i am too polite to ever comment to someone on their state of dress. I thought it,yes. About half an hour later as it happens.... I am there to have a relaxing holiday and hope that everyone else does to. Anyone's state of dress makes no difference to my enjoyment of the cruise

Or the designer label,

Mat alan.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app

Hi there. Please relax . As i said,i am too polite to ever comment to someone on their state of dress. I thought it,yes. About half an hour later as it happens.... I am there to have a relaxing holiday and hope that everyone else does to. Anyone's state of dress makes no difference to my enjoyment of the cruise

We were on a 2 nighter to Guernsey years ago and ended up buying a cheap black jacket in M&S Guernsey because we weren't expecting a formal night on a 2 night cruise.

I always struggle to understand these dress code threads.

P&O choose to cater for all preferences by allocating designated areas for those who don't want to do formal. This means everyone is happy.

I think there is a flip side to the argument that 'if you don't like formal cruise with someone else' and that is 'if you don't like the idea of P&Os mixed dress code policy, sail with someone else'.

So long as those choosing not to do formal don't spoil things for others by not observing the code in designated areas does it really matter?

There are some really good comments about CC being in the minority and I think it is absolutely true, life onboard often seems to bear little resemblance to the way it is portrayed on CC, making it feel somewhat removed from reality. I suspect P&O must find this forum extremely tiresome, and choose instead to engage more with other groups.

I do generally observe formal, but not always. As young adults who didn't dress up too often we found formal quite exciting and there was a huge sense of occasion in the dining room. Times have changed for us over the years, maybe because the formal dining experience isn't what it once was or maybe our expectations are higher as we frequent more high-end restaurants on land. These days having to take formal wear on holiday has just become a drag and it feels like hard work when we just want to chill and relax. My husband gets increasingly frustrated having to wear a DJ on holiday - so having a choice is great.

For us dressing up is our least favourite thing about P&O but we wouldn't stop sailing with them on this factor alone, because we like the British culture, food, Southampton sailings etc.

As time passes and the passenger demographic changes with more younger people cruising, I do think that the P&O policy will change and the number of formal nights will be reduced, perhaps over time other changes might happen such as one restaurant reserved for smart casual where the facility to do so exists.

In the absence of a crystal ball we will have to wait and see, but in the meantime I would never have the audacity to scrutinise and criticise someone's choice if they were respecting the onboard code.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The dress code I believe is quite clear. If it isn't for you, then try a different cruise line.

I have just returned from a hotel holiday where the dress code clearly stated long trousers for gentlemen at dinner. Got tired with the amount of men arguing that they should be able to wear shorts. Had a guy who insisted on wearing a baseball cap at dinner. Not against the stated dress code so I just laughed at him.

The dress code I believe is quite clear. If it isn't for you, then try a different cruise line.

I have just returned from a hotel holiday where the dress code clearly stated long trousers for gentlemen at dinner. Got tired with the amount of men arguing that they should be able to wear shorts. Had a guy who insisted on wearing a baseball cap at dinner. Not against the stated dress code so I just laughed at him.

The dress code is fairly clear and I really can't understand why a few moan about it especially when there are alternative places to dine etc.

We were on a 2 nighter to Guernsey years ago and ended up buying a cheap black jacket in M&S Guernsey because we weren't expecting a formal night on a 2 night cruise.

Well done, nothing wrong with Marks and Sparks gear, some good gear. None in OZ, but we were in HK in March, post QM2 and they have M&S there, a few in fact.:halo:

Would there be an M&S in Southampton, suppose so.

Well done, nothing wrong with Marks and Sparks gear, some good gear. None in OZ, but we were in HK in March, post QM2 and they have M&S there, a few in fact.:halo:

Would there be an M&S in Southampton, suppose so.

Yes there is a big M&S in the large West Quay shopping centre in Southampton.

Every town& city in England have an M&S.