CAPE LIBERTY 411 (and NYC too) Version 4!!

megr1125

I just discovered this thread, please forgive me if I'm asking something that maybe already here. We are flying into LaGuardia the night before our cruise in September, is it better to stay on the New York side or cross over into New Jersey? Best way to port? When we arrive back on Thursday we will be staying near Times Square, best transportation to our hotel?

I just discovered this thread, please forgive me if I'm asking something that maybe already here. We are flying into LaGuardia the night before our cruise in September, is it better to stay on the New York side or cross over into New Jersey? Best way to port? When we arrive back on Thursday we will be staying near Times Square, best transportation to our hotel?

What is your hotel budget? How many people? What time does your flight arrive at LGA?

The best transportation between New York and NJ is a car service.

What is your hotel budget? How many people? What time does your flight arrive at LGA?

The best transportation between New York and NJ is a car service.

We normally stay at Hiltons if possible. 2 people. Flight arrives around 7 pm. Any particular car service? Thank you!

We normally stay at Hiltons if possible. 2 people. Flight arrives around 7 pm. Any particular car service? Thank you!

Look at Embassy Suites Elizabeth NJ. They offer a cruiseport shuttle for $20/pp.

Look at Dial7 and Carmel Limo. Also look for coupons.

I also just found this thread. What a relief!

We will disembark at Port Liberty. Our international flight is 8pm from JFK.

We don't want to use the ship transfer as it will be too early for our flight check in time.

Please kindly suggest how we can see around New Jersey before going to JFK. (We have seen NY before the cruise).

How about our luggages?

Thank you for your advise.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

We are doing a Friday to Friday cruise, flying into Newark. On a Friday morning can anyone advise how long to get from the port to the airport by taxi. Also on a Friday morning what are the normal times to get through security at the airport? Was looking at a 9:30 flight as we will do walk off and are in a suite so hoping we get priority walk off departure.

Driving from Long Island to Bayonne this Sunday to catch a ride on the Summit.

Last year when we did the same, the Bayonne Bridge was closed for the ongoing construction project and we went through the city and 95. The two times before that we used the bridge.

Is the bridge still closed on weekends?

So easy for us to go Southern State, the Belt, Verrazano to Bayonne Bridge since we live on the south shore.

Thanks to anyone who knows this info!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Driving from Long Island to Bayonne this Sunday to catch a ride on the Summit.

Last year when we did the same, the Bayonne Bridge was closed for the ongoing construction project and we went through the city and 95. The two times before that we used the bridge.

Is the bridge still closed on weekends?

So easy for us to go Southern State, the Belt, Verrazano to Bayonne Bridge since we live on the south shore.

Thanks to anyone who knows this info!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It looks like the Bridge will not be open until Sunday night.

http://www.nj.com/jjournal-news/index.ssf/2017/07/bayonne_bridge_will_be_open_su.html

Alerts:

http://www.panynj.gov/alerts-advisories/advisories-bayonne-bridge.cfm

I also just found this thread. What a relief!

We will disembark at Port Liberty. Our international flight is 8pm from JFK.

We don't want to use the ship transfer as it will be too early for our flight check in time.

Please kindly suggest how we can see around New Jersey before going to JFK. (We have seen NY before the cruise).

How about our luggages?

Thank you for your advise.

Nothing much to do in Bayonne or nearby. Your only real choice is to go back to NYC.

You can take a car service to Schwartz Travel in Manhattan to check your luggage for the day (www.schwartztravel.com) and then take a cab or car service later to JFK. It's a Sunday and you should leave Manhattan no later than 3:30.

We are doing a Friday to Friday cruise, flying into Newark. On a Friday morning can anyone advise how long to get from the port to the airport by taxi. Also on a Friday morning what are the normal times to get through security at the airport? Was looking at a 9:30 flight as we will do walk off and are in a suite so hoping we get priority walk off departure.

It looks like you are on Adventure next year. Adventure is new to Cape Liberty next year, so no one yet knows how her disembarkations will be run. She is a voyager class ship with limited space on deck 4 to warehouse folks waiting to self disembark. She's also not scheduled to arrive until 7 am.

On a Friday morning I would not consider a 9:30 am flight. Rush hour traffic is unpredictable. I'd allow 30-60 minutes to get to the airport arriving at least 1 1/2 hours ahead of flight time.

Nothing much to do in Bayonne or nearby. Your only real choice is to go back to NYC.

You can take a car service to Schwartz Travel in Manhattan to check your luggage for the day (www.schwartztravel.com) and then take a cab or car service later to JFK. It's a Sunday and you should leave Manhattan no later than 3:30.

Thank you.

I hope there will be taxis available on the taxi stand at Port Liberty?

Thank you.

I hope there will be taxis available on the taxi stand at Port Liberty?

You can get transportation from the taxi dispatcher or you can pre book a car service like Dial7 or Carmellimo.

Driving from Long Island to Bayonne this Sunday ... Is the bridge still closed on weekends? ... Thanks to anyone who knows this info!

Weekend closure of the Bayonne Bridge has been hitting traffic on the NJ Turnpike, both daylight & worst of it, Sunday afternoon/evening/late night @ 11 PM - been almost caught with that, twice this month when we came back from South Jersey & the Atlantic shores.

Be sure to turn on your real-time GPS navigation, we use Waze mostly & it's spot-on to steer us around it, otherwise - it's affecting both the Truck lanes and the Car only lanes (even worst ... for beach traffic coming home into NJ/LI) as you head out to C.L. this Sunday morning.

Not sure what your exact NYC routing is - forget about Queens Midtown Tunnel as well (one tube has been closed on weekend) If you leave early & can get over the Throgs Neck or Bronx-Whitestone Bridge by 9 or 9:30 AM, commerical and truck traffic are not bad - go across on I-95 (Cross Bronx Expwy ... I've done this route enough lately on weekends to know, there are some slowdowns on the uphill stretch, but it will move ... keep left to minimize merging traffic from local on-ramps, once you get onto the CBE) Go across the GWB, upper level is fine and then south on the NJ Turnpike to Exit 14, etc. for C.L.

RFK Bridge has gone 100% cash-less with EZP toll but it's the approaches on the Bronx or Harlem River Drive that's often delayed ... we trust our Waze to steer us on best/optimal route.

It looks like you are on Adventure next year. Adventure is new to Cape Liberty next year, so no one yet knows how her disembarkations will be run. She is a voyager class ship with limited space on deck 4 to warehouse folks waiting to self disembark. She's also not scheduled to arrive until 7 am.

On a Friday morning I would not consider a 9:30 am flight. Rush hour traffic is unpredictable. I'd allow 30-60 minutes to get to the airport arriving at least 1 1/2 hours ahead of flight time.

Thanks, I will probably go for the noon flight then. We hate hanging around for flights but don't want to risk missing it either!

138EAST well I am so happy I stumbled on this but wish it were sooner. I started reading posts a few days ago and have only gotten to page 57. I then figured I better get to the end and work backwards. I decided to ask what I need and apologize that my questions have likely been asked. There will be 4 of us driving from the Chicago area and will be on the Anthem sailing September 28th. I did book the Hilton Newark Penn weeks ago and just realized I booked it for the wrong week! They are now sold out. I also put Hilton Garden Inn Time Square for 1 night on hold--should I keep that reservation?. Not sure if that's the right decision or if we stay further out drive in and park somewhere? for the day is better. Obviously switching hotels each night would be a pain but if it allows us to fit more in and enjoy our time more then that's fine. My mom really wants to see Time Square, Central Park, Ellis Island, Statue of Liberty, 9/11 Memorial. Since we've never been to New York we want to see what we can in 2 to 2 1/2 days pre-cruise. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated on where to stay? What to do and in what order--sights that should be planned together? We realize that we can't possibly see all there is to see in 2 days. I know with your guidance we will definitely see and enjoy our pre-cruise stay! Thank you for all your help...

Lizstas - could you provide more details? One hotel room for 4 people? Type of beds? Hotel budget? Exact dates (Sept 25-28?). What date do you have the Hilton Garden and how much is it? I'm seeing the Robert Treat in Newark for 9/25-28 for 2 queens at $104-130/room (prepaid, senior, AAA, full rate) - free parking, free breakfast, free wifi, and free shuttle to Newark Penn Station)

Your car can be both a liability and asset. You don't want to be driving and paying to park in Manhattan. However, it can be a huge asset for going to the Statue of Liberty and lower Manhattan. One of the days you drive to Liberty State Park, pay $7 to park, and go out to Ellis Island and the SOL. IMO there is no reason to prepay tickets unless you are trying to go up the base or to the crown. You can return to Manhattan and walk to the 911 Memorial area and return to Liberty State Park on the ferry ($7/pp - http://www.libertylandingferry.com/ last weeknight ferry at 8:45 pm)

Another really good area to look for hotels is Harmon Meadows in Secaucus. Good bus and train options to Manhattan and free parking. You can still drive to Liberty State Park for the SOL as well as the Port. This is a more suburban-like area than downtown Newark.